Wilderness Lodge

markymark

Basic info required :-

Who has been and did they enjoy it. How was it for getting around to other parks, what were the facilities like etc. Just a run down of it's good and bad points please.

Ta very much.

Bryy2001

WL

...Just writing to say that Wilderness Lodge is one of the best resorts on Disney property. The atmosphere is unbelievable and the place is just gorgeous, the best part about WL is that while in my opinion it is among the top five Disney resorts, it's also one of the least expensive, you get a whole lot of bang for your buck here, WL is a great experience.

Upvote 0

gepetto

I loved WL. I think they have the best counter service place on property. The transportation's decent too even though you have to share busses with Polynesian and GF.:) You get the water pageant too.

Upvote 0

Dizknee_Phreek

i've stayed at WL only once (June 2001) but i've visited it countless times since its opening! and on one occasion, during the holidays, which was wonderful! the resort itself, as everyone else has said, is spectacular! the atmosphere is one that just sucks you right in! everytime i go there, i never want to leave, but, of course, i have to sooner or later.
the music they play there are from the likes of Last of the Mohicans (my fave that they play there...very impowering music!), How The West Was Won, The Magnifiscent 7, Dances With Wolves, Wyett Erpp (that's most likely not spelled right, i know) all of which, of course, in true Disney style, sets you even more into the old frontier type mood.
the rooms are very nice! but then again, how many Disney resorts doesn't have nice rooms?
Roaring Forks is ok...personally, i prefer the busy crowded food courts of the value and moderate resorts. as for their food, it's pretty good.
really i can't tell a difference between WL transportation and other resorts'...they're all the same to me. of course, except for the MK boat.
i never used the pools or hot tub(s), so i can't give you any info on those, but it already seems that plenty of people are able to give you plenty of info on those!
the bike rentals are great, which you can go on the nature trail with, and then go to Fort Wilderness campgrounds if you want.
speaking of the nature trail...it's wonderful! we spotted deer many times while taking a walk through it. which is kinda strange, cuz here in KY, deer aren't an uncommon occurance. but for some reason i never thought FL had deer. i don't know why...but i just never thought of it before!
well, that's about all i know to write...hope it helps! i just wanted to post my own personal account with WL! take care and keep us updated on your decision!

Upvote 0

SilentRascal

Account Suspended
I've stayed at Wilderness Lodge only once....but once was all it took for me to love it. The peacefulness of the place, the decor, the employees....all add up to an excellent Disney experience. The lobby is massive and impressively designed as is each individual level of the resort. When I go to Disney, I go mainly because I love the atmosphere of the entire area, resorts & parks. I hang out at the parks or whereever all day and then come back to the resort and relax. Sure, the rooms can be a tad bigger, but who really goes there to spend most of their time at the hotel? (Well...besides honeymooners.) Disney is a place that by and large promotes friendliness among people. For example, a few nights at WL my family would gather in the lobby, take over a couple chairs and a coffee table, and break out a card game. Numerous people would be crossing through the lobby on their way elsewhere, but some would stop and see what we were doing, chat a bit, and continue on. Just pure friendly, and it's pure Disney. I wish Disney would expand its monorail line somehow and if it does, make it more convenient to the WL. It's a great place to stay.

Upvote 0
The Flag raising was still going on as of 12/4. I asked about it but they were booked until that date. Unfortunately, the wife and I were leaving on 12/2.

As to the counter service, I preferred the cotton mill of Dixie Landings (Riverside for the newbies) over Roaring Forks. Not to say it wasn't adequate, but I did find myself missing all of the choices available at breakfast. Although $10 does seem excessive for a banana, 3 bowls of cereal and an OJ. Then again I am used to Indiana prices....

Upvote 0

Dizknee_Phreek

I agree! Cotton Mill is my all time fave place to eat at any of the resorts! not only is the food great and the atmosphere top-notch, but it also holds so many tremendous memories for me, so it's very sentimental to me.
i agree about the prices though...a little over the top, but well worth it!

Upvote 0

moonchild

we have reserv for december there. we are doing the cruise deal. 3 days at WL and 4 days on the ship. i was actually sitting on the beach at WL just yesterday. OUCH my sunburn hurts! the ducks were cute!

Upvote 0

tenchu

Originally posted by moonchild
we have reserv for december there. we are doing the cruise deal. 3 days at WL and 4 days on the ship. i was actually sitting on the beach at WL just yesterday. OUCH my sunburn hurts! the ducks were cute!

Lets hear it for ducks!!

Upvote 0

tenchu

Originally posted by moonchild
that's one thing my bf noticed...that Donald is not around a whole lot. why is that? ( maybe he is just "quacking" up) :lookaroun

There's been a few conversations on that. Look at Donald, or Daisy topics.

Upvote 0

dalton30720

We stayed at WL during New Year's this year. The Christmas decorations were beautiful. Our first WL stay was in 1995. When we started planning our New Year's trip, we knew we had to stay at WL. We were not disappointed!!!

Upvote 0

Belle13

'
"Who has been and did they enjoy it. How was it for getting around to other parks, what were the facilities like etc. Just a run down of it's good and bad points please. "

a)It is a gorgeous resort to visit (the lobby and grounds are beautiful, but I have no desire to stay there again.
b)The boat to MK was pretty good, but can get crowded during the busy months. Busses were so-so...have had better bus service at the moderates.
c)didn't care for the restaurants.
counterservice was pretty good
pool was gorgeous
guyser was pretty cool
laundry facilities adequate
rooms very small for a deluxe
furniture oversized making it more difficult to move in the rooms
check in and guest services were courteous, and efficient
valet parking was efficient
bell services were efficient
maid services were efficient
the decor is very dark and masculine, so if you aren't into this
you might not like the decor... rooms are decorated in drab
colors.

Upvote 0

Dizknee_Phreek

Originally posted by Belle13
' furniture oversized making it more difficult to move in the rooms
the decor is very dark and masculine, so if you aren't into this
you might not like the decor... rooms are decorated in drab
colors.

to me, the furniture seemed about the same size as all the other furniture i've seen in rooms.

yeah, the decor was kinda masculine...but i liked it. but then again, i really like the old frontier, cowboy, Indian era. and also, may i add to that...if you're not an 'outdoorsy' type person, you probably wouldn't like the decor. but i'm from the boonies in KY, so outdoorsy is kinda in my genes (although i don't consider myself 'country' at all!)

drab colors? i wouldn't say drab colors...maybe people who live in Miami would say drab (seems to be a city full of color), or people in Las Vegas would say drab. but i don't consider them drab at all. more natural than anything. and i don't know about all the rooms, but the room i was in, some of the walls were a dark red...now, i don't know about anyone else, but red is certainly not what i consider a drab color. but hey, that's just me, maybe.

if anyone's interested, this weekend, i'll try to add a pic or two to my webshots WL album. i know i have at least one pic of the room i was in.

Upvote 0

cm1988

Originally posted by Dizknee_Phreek
......if you're not an 'outdoorsy' type person, you probably wouldn't like the decor...

That's how it seemed to me. Very much like Yellowstone Park Lodge, only newer, and the geysers don't smell of sulfur. The waterfall by the pool, tall pines all around and the dock on Bay Lake form a rustic, relaxing setting. To me, that's the WL long suit.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom