Wilderness Lodge Refurbishment

Rlandrigan

Gotta say that i MUCH preferred the updated CBR rooms - it would have been nice to have a bit more theming, but it got closer to the 'Budget Poly' feel that the resort is trying for than the old, garish ones.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Gotta say that i MUCH preferred the updated CBR rooms - it would have been nice to have a bit more theming, but it got closer to the 'Budget Poly' feel that the resort is trying for than the old, garish ones.

I like the room too....just doesn't sing Disney Resort to me.....needs a bit more color and texture....and a smattering of hidden mickeys....:happy:

PeakSeason

As we reported on our Facebook page, Humphrey's Unofficial Wilderness Lodge Pages, the Wilderness Lodge is going to get a refurbishment to the main lodge rooms. It should start within the next 6-8 weeks and last several months.
Does this mean there are no reliable, set start and end dates for this refurbishment? We have several rooms in the main lodge, as well as several DVC units booked in late January. We haven't stayed at Wilderness Lodge in years but the last time was during a refurb too and it was not fun. We've noticed that there are no Artist Point reservations during our 10 day trip. Is it being refurbished as well? How great is the possibility that facilities/amenities will be unavailable such as quick service, market, splash pad, pools? Why was there no warning about this on the reservation page when we were booking? Any solid information would be very appreciated. I don't want to take a large group, some of which are first timers, a few who do Disney rarely, to a resort that isn't fully functional and I've really talked up WL as being a beautiful location. With our party's size, if we need to move, I need to make that decision ASAP.

harryk

Perhaps, although to me its a matter of adequate and adjustable lighting in space, not the color hues themselves....plus the darker tones wear better....I do hear what you are saying, but there are resorts for that, such as the Contemporary....I choose a resort at Disney much differently then elsewhere, at WDW I want theming to the max, the little details that complete the experience....the magic....I want to KNOW I am at Disney without it shouting at me in bright primary colors....but the intricate layers that make it special....you can throw some accents of lighter beiges etc without hurting the overalll balance....and I am thinking I am not alone in wanting it to be more intensive in theme than a vague hint of the lodge theme and have it just be more run of the mill standard hotel fare. Maybe that works for the DVC sales and units, but there is something to be said for keeping things rustic and updated sure, but keeping the theme.:happy::happy::happy:
Not so much for current owners in DVC - the redo that was done in what is now 'Boulder Ridge' removed much of the 'wilderness theme' in not so subtle ways - very disappointed when I went into my rooms during the last visit - I did not want to enter a modern suite. The original design was soooooo much better.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Thanks Harry, its good to hear that someone misses the theming of the main lodge in the DVC units.....I was disappointed in their lack of theming with the resort too....it seems to be a trend in new refurbs across the board, their design team must be a different group with lack of Imagineering! :angelic: Of course it could be improved with more layers of theme, but will complaining do any good? If we are paying and playing.....I was just thinking that the next generation might not know what they missed....or care.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs

Shouldigo12

I agree and get what you're saying. Personally, I loved the old Caribbean Beach rooms --mad splashes of pink, orange, lime green and aqua. One person's gaudy is another person's HappyHappyHappy. I want hidden Mickeys in the bedspread and carpet, on the coasters and on the peep hole.
It does feel that the theming is getting diluted--or to be more dramatic--sacrificed on the altar of "tasteful design."
But if I want beige, I'll stay at a Marriott.

Disney_s_Caribbean_Beach_Resort_(049).jpg

Queen-Beds-in-Refurbed-Rooms-at-Disneys-Caribbean-Beach-Resort-from-yourfirstvisit.net_.jpg
To each their own, but the second picture looks like a HUGE improvement to me. The first picture looks like a room from a motel that hasn't been updated since the 90s, definitely not a nice hotel room at one of the most popular vacation spots in the world. It has more personality to it, yes....but not a personality I would get along with haha.

Shouldigo12

Thanks Harry, its good to hear that someone misses the theming of the main lodge in the DVC units.....I was disappointed in their lack of theming with the resort too....it seems to be a trend in new refurbs across the board, their design team must be a different group with lack of Imagineering! :angelic: Of course it could be improved with more layers of theme, but will complaining do any good? If we are paying and playing.....I was just thinking that the next generation might not know what they missed....or care.
I think you kind of hit the nail on the nail on the head with fhe next generation thing, albeit indirectly. Imo, it's not that ths theming is getting worse but that they're designing these rooms with the new crop of 18-25 year olds in mind. The room pocs you posted look incredibly outdated to me, and probably to other people in my generation as well. They're a blast back to the 90s in the worst possible way haha. I would not spend 200+ dollars to stay in a room that looks like that. The new pics are much more my generation's style.

nickys

Premium Member
Does this mean there are no reliable, set start and end dates for this refurbishment? We have several rooms in the main lodge, as well as several DVC units booked in late January. We haven't stayed at Wilderness Lodge in years but the last time was during a refurb too and it was not fun. We've noticed that there are no Artist Point reservations during our 10 day trip. Is it being refurbished as well? How great is the possibility that facilities/amenities will be unavailable such as quick service, market, splash pad, pools? Why was there no warning about this on the reservation page when we were booking? Any solid information would be very appreciated. I don't want to take a large group, some of which are first timers, a few who do Disney rarely, to a resort that isn't fully functional and I've really talked up WL as being a beautiful location. With our party's size, if we need to move, I need to make that decision ASAP.

As far as I know this is just a room refurb isn’t it? So they’ll take a few rooms out of inventory, redo the soft furnishings etc and move on. The only thing may be if they replace the carpets with flooring, that could be a bit noisy.

But nothing like the remodelling that was done with the Copper Creek rooms before. The pools and stuff won’t be affected. Artist Point has been known about for a while, likely some kind of make-over.

note2001

I'm expecting to see vinyl (wood plank) flooring, new soft goods, new nightstands and desks with the aforementioned outlets. These have already been designed and added to refurbished AKV rooms without any loss to the wooden aesthetics, so Disney is working with someone who can do the same for the main wilderness lodge rooms.

The updated look means elimination of mesh-mashed patterns and inclusion of items that clean up easily. Simplicity is relaxing. We're no longer looking at those 1980s over the top colors and textures, and with the internet scaring everyone, we currently have a need to see cleanliness.

I also can't imagine fluorescent lighting in any of the Disney hotel or villa rooms. @aladdin2007 Where have you seen such?

PrincessNelly_NJ

Get a good rate? The refurb is the reason.
We are thinking of switching from FQ to WL in Early December. Is this just a soft goods refurb?

WL had been booked up for Early December for months, then suddenly they released a bunch of rooms. Any chance this means the refurb was pushed back. Seems odd to drop a bunch of rooms but then entire floors may be closed at the same time

westie

Get a good rate? The refurb is the reason.

We're west coast Disneyland'ers so the rates are comparable to those we are used to paying. I think the thing we're most excited about is this is yet another WDW resort we haven't stayed at. The goal being to have stayed at them all.

Yellow Shoes

I think you kind of hit the nail on the nail on the head with fhe next generation thing, albeit indirectly. Imo, it's not that ths theming is getting worse but that they're designing these rooms with the new crop of 18-25 year olds in mind. The room pocs you posted look incredibly outdated to me, and probably to other people in my generation as well. They're a blast back to the 90s in the worst possible way haha. I would not spend 200+ dollars to stay in a room that looks like that. The new pics are much more my generation's style.
well...in all fairness...those WERE pictures from the (19) 90's

bunnyman

WL used to be our go to resort over the years; better than the moderate resorts but not as pricey as other deluxe resorts. Last stayed there during the summer of 2016 while the DVC conversion & cabin construction was taking place. We've been to WDW numerous times since then with a high school marching band performance and someone working there, and have found that based on the lower room capacity it's taken quite a jump in price. Next trip got a good price on the BC and the location to EPCOT for the Food & Wine Festival.

TrojanUSC

The problem with old Wilderness Lodge (and old Polynesian and old Grand Californian and old Animal Kingdom Lodge) is that everything was simply too dark. I think most guests want what you're describing throughout their resorts... in the lobby, the pool, the restaurants, etc. But when they get to their hotel room, there's a certain standard that a hotel guest expects in 2018, especially a hotel guest paying $400+ per room.

The fact they still had bedspreads until a couple years ago still flabbergasts me!

There's a big reason why Disney allowed Four Seasons to build on their property - they were losing way, way too many affluent guests to the Waldorf, Ritz and to a lesser extent, the Universal Resorts. For like 15 years they rested on their laurels, not seeing a reason to keep up with modern hotel trends, designs and amenities. It cost them... Only at Walt Disney World could you have zero outlets, a bad night's sleep on a hard economy mattress, sub-par bath products and then march down to breakfast only to be told you had to have booked six months ago - all while paying $700/night! They're finally moving forward to this millennia, thankfully.

HwdStudio

We're west coast Disneyland'ers so the rates are comparable to those we are used to paying. I think the thing we're most excited about is this is yet another WDW resort we haven't stayed at. The goal being to have stayed at them all.
I just wondered because I booked two nights after the end of my DVC stay. The rate was so good I couldn’t pass it up. It wasn’t until later that I found out about the refurb so I assumed the refurb going on was the reason. It’s still a great resort so I kept the reservation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom