Wilderness Lodge Refurbishment

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Sigh....last time we were there they were doing the DVC 1/2 and elevators were all shut except roaring fork back one....I was so looking forward to seeing it without walls and working again.....likely also means they wont be offering any rooms at discount later this Fall. :bored:
Yes I like when my very favorite resort gets love....just not when I am there!:angelic: If they can complete by Christmas time though no problem! :happy:

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
concerns me, probably means more detheming generic changes, and that lovely fluorescent lighting.
Yes and I hope the same designer that "themed" the newer buildings isn't in charge of the décor with the main lodge. It should NOT be modern cabin themed, I did like the latest refurb, but have been through 3?!?!? Its all in the details.....lets hope the designer gets the
ambience intended.....Elegant Rustic Western Cabin, with hidden mickeys and subtle Disney references that tie it all together and let you know you are NOT at The Yellowstone Lodge but at Disney pretending you are....:angelic: The Old Hickory furniture was PERFECT!!!!! I have a bedlight with hidden mickeys and a rabbit bed post salvaged from the gutting on the DVC half......sigh,,,,,:cool:

Yellow Shoes

As we reported on our Facebook page, Humphrey's Unofficial Wilderness Lodge Pages, the Wilderness Lodge is going to get a refurbishment to the main lodge rooms. It should start within the next 6-8 weeks and last several months.

Just booked for Jan 20-24 and, of course, am over-thinking it. (it is one of my super powers...)

Original plan was Jan 27-31, but couldn't get a standard room at WL. Looked at the week before, snagged one, and saved $300. (there are none available today, Aug 5. I booked Aug 3, so I feel pretty good about that.)

1. Didn't make the connection that this was MLK weekend. Oppressively heavy crowds predicted per any website you check. However...I did get the room I wanted, so I am hopeful.
2. Now the refurbishments. Disney is really good about making them as unobtrusive as possible, so I am holding out hope that it will not affect our stay in any major way.

I'm still going to Disney, and it will be glorious.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Er are you sure you are not reading about Presidents Day weekend in February? THAT is when the crowds are awful....but that is mid February....anyhow YEAH you got your room! I sure wish I knew what order they were doing the floors....wonder if club level will get the refurb first or last? :happy: I have been every week in January through mid February and never had crowd issues until mid February and a few days leading into that week. Most school breaks begin then.:angelic:

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Exactly zero Disney hotel rooms have fluorescent lighting.

That's a contradiction in terms.
Nah....its a thing.....:happy: better termed..."upscale lodge"....much like the WL lobby itself.....not dirty and truly worn out evolved decor, but comfortable coordinating space that reflects an "ideal" that is not true backwoods cabin. MY kind of camping!! :happy::happy::happy: Fabrics, textures and details you would not likely find in an actual rustic spot....but something coordinated by a interior designer. Rather like the modern farmhouse décor of today....references to farmhouse items, but such a wide array of interpretation which leaves it even more ambiguous.
The textures of the Old Hickory furniture, carved bedposts, kilim rug prints on carpet and floor, western maps, faux wood tiles in bathroom and wilderness images on headboard all sing to me.....the new dvc units barely carry a tune imho .:angelic:

CaptainAmerica

Nah....its a thing.....:happy: better termed..."upscale lodge"....much like the WL lobby itself.....not dirty and truly worn out evolved decor, but comfortable coordinating space that reflects an "ideal" that is not true backwoods cabin. MY kind of camping!! :happy::happy::happy: Fabrics, textures and details you would not likely find in an actual rustic spot....but something coordinated by a interior designer. Rather like the modern farmhouse décor of today....references to farmhouse items, but such a wide array of interpretation which leaves it even more ambiguous.
The textures of the Old Hickory furniture, carved bedposts, kilim rug prints on carpet and floor, western maps, faux wood tiles in bathroom and wilderness images on headboard all sing to me.....the new dvc units barely carry a tune imho .:angelic:
The problem with old Wilderness Lodge (and old Polynesian and old Grand Californian and old Animal Kingdom Lodge) is that everything was simply too dark. I think most guests want what you're describing throughout their resorts... in the lobby, the pool, the restaurants, etc. But when they get to their hotel room, there's a certain standard that a hotel guest expects in 2018, especially a hotel guest paying $400+ per room.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
The problem with old Wilderness Lodge (and old Polynesian and old Grand Californian and old Animal Kingdom Lodge) is that everything was simply too dark. I think most guests want what you're describing throughout their resorts... in the lobby, the pool, the restaurants, etc. But when they get to their hotel room, there's a certain standard that a hotel guest expects in 2018, especially a hotel guest paying $400+ per room.

Perhaps, although to me its a matter of adequate and adjustable lighting in space, not the color hues themselves....plus the darker tones wear better....I do hear what you are saying, but there are resorts for that, such as the Contemporary....I choose a resort at Disney much differently then elsewhere, at WDW I want theming to the max, the little details that complete the experience....the magic....I want to KNOW I am at Disney without it shouting at me in bright primary colors....but the intricate layers that make it special....you can throw some accents of lighter beiges etc without hurting the overall balance....and I am thinking I am not alone in wanting it to be more intensive in theme than a vague hint of the lodge theme and have it just be more run of the mill standard hotel fare. Maybe that works for the DVC sales and units, but there is something to be said for keeping things rustic and updated sure, but keeping the theme.:happy::happy::happy:

Yellow Shoes

Perhaps, although to me its a matter of adequate and adjustable lighting in space, not the color hues themselves....plus the darker tones wear better....I do hear what you are saying, but there are resorts for that, such as the Contemporary....I choose a resort at Disney much differently then elsewhere, at WDW I want theming to the max, the little details that complete the experience....the magic....I want to KNOW I am at Disney without it shouting at me in bright primary colors....but the intricate layers that make it special....you can throw some accents of lighter beiges etc without hurting the overall balance....and I am thinking I am not alone in wanting it to be more intensive in theme than a vague hint of the lodge theme and have it just be more run of the mill standard hotel fare. Maybe that works for the DVC sales and units, but there is something to be said for keeping things rustic and updated sure, but keeping the theme.:happy::happy::happy:

I agree and get what you're saying. Personally, I loved the old Caribbean Beach rooms --mad splashes of pink, orange, lime green and aqua. One person's gaudy is another person's HappyHappyHappy. I want hidden Mickeys in the bedspread and carpet, on the coasters and on the peep hole.
It does feel that the theming is getting diluted--or to be more dramatic--sacrificed on the altar of "tasteful design."
But if I want beige, I'll stay at a Marriott.

Disney_s_Caribbean_Beach_Resort_(049).jpg

Queen-Beds-in-Refurbed-Rooms-at-Disneys-Caribbean-Beach-Resort-from-yourfirstvisit.net_.jpg

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Oooh I do love barn doors....but not sure that shouts carribean to me....and yes that's just it, not really a matter of gaudy, but PLUSSED...those extra details that complete a theme....that which seperates The Magic Kingdom from other theme parks, plussed theming that immerses you to a point. Walt always aimed to "plus" things.

So you can update rooms and still keep that Disney level theming. When the WL was last redone a few years ago, they too removed the wallpaper border, which IS rather a dated thing, but the refurbishment was a improved theming, not a generic hotel room modernization...they used fabric, tile, carpet, furniture and art all keeping with theme. Brown Disney character tiles were built into the shower tiles that otherwise had a wood subway tile hint.....the bedding was more white but balanced with throw pillows with thumper on them and a mickey blanket over end of bed.... Anyhow, what a difference in the redo for your rooms above....I like the palm leaf carpet!!!
It definitely is underthemed imho. Perhaps they are playing to the minimalists, but my gut is the majority of Disney geeks do in fact like things detailed and themed with some imagination. Otherwise they would be going to Universal or lesser parks instead. :angelic:

CaptainAmerica

I agree and get what you're saying. Personally, I loved the old Caribbean Beach rooms --mad splashes of pink, orange, lime green and aqua. One person's gaudy is another person's HappyHappyHappy. I want hidden Mickeys in the bedspread and carpet, on the coasters and on the peep hole.
It does feel that the theming is getting diluted--or to be more dramatic--sacrificed on the altar of "tasteful design."
But if I want beige, I'll stay at a Marriott.

Disney_s_Caribbean_Beach_Resort_(049).jpg

Queen-Beds-in-Refurbed-Rooms-at-Disneys-Caribbean-Beach-Resort-from-yourfirstvisit.net_.jpg
Are you seriously saying you prefer the first picture to the second? The first picture looks like a visual representation of cigarettes and mildew.

Some people might not be aware of this, but the white bedspreads in particular are a hygiene issue, not a design choice. The old bedspreads couldn't be cleaned as often and they couldn't be bleached ever.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Before and after, kept some things, but improved the theming vs toning it down so far its not truly a theme.....:happy:

CaptainAmerica

Before and after, kept some things, but improved the theming vs toning it down so far its not truly a theme.....:happy:
The only major change I see is the bedspread, which was done for hygiene issues as I posted previously. The carpet is different, but I wouldn't call it "toned down."

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
No that's my point the last time it was improved update but NOT toned done theme wise. They repainted light beige, removed border put up crown molding with mustardy tone, made lights over headboard hardwired changed all curtains, carpet and bedding...redid flooring in entry and bath to dark wood imitation ceramic tiles, and totally gutted bathrooms. Very nicely done. The tones were all pulled together and shifted hues but it looks much better to me. Yellow shoes was showing how the update on the Caribbean was lesser themed after refurb.:angelic: Also replaced the "leather" on headboards to barn red quilted padding. So I am hoping this coming refurb will be as well themed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom