Wilderness Lodge Feature Pool Closure

ToTBellHop

Yes it does, there is a quiet pool.
I meant that they are making a feature pool available to them. They chose not to do this at Poly (I assume GF would be the only option and can't really share since they already added the villas guests to those pools).

tikiman

I have to agree that I am very surprised that they are closing both the WL and Poly pools at the same time. We are now scrambling to figure out what to do because the small quiet pool just isn't the same.

While the East pool does not have the theming of the Nanea Pool it is only about 10% smaller by volume. It will have a bar set up while the Nanea Pool is being redesigned.

Sparkle81

Gutted about this, as I was looking forward to taking my little boy into the pool. Kind of weird that they should do it when the weather is still 'pool weather', rather than look at a Dec/Jan/Feb refurb time instead? It's frustrating to find this out, especially since we booked our trip so far in advance.

stefan74

This sucks. I have someone in my party who was looking forward to chillaxing near the pool with a frosty beverage. I'm not sure I will be able to find a two bedroom villa over our dates. I will have to check.

Ducatipete

Well what can we say, we booked our holiday in June 2013 for this November, Wilderness has it all so thats where we go, it costs us a small fortune but we save, stretch ourselves and so we spoil ourselves too and we are truly gutted that the relaxing, atmospheric pool area is going to be closed....... hey lets walk around the lake a bit & see if we can find another pool! last time we went, the test track was closed which was also a favourite of ours..... sod it lets go to Euro Disney instead...... no maybe not as its still the very poor relation by comparison.... We have asked our Virgin rep. who we booked with to see what can be done to move dates or resorts..... Will post what happens (if anything does) right here....

Mousemom67

I suspect that this reno is dedicated to the erection of the "Lawyer Fence" around the pool.
Have fences been installed around feature pools at other resorts? I heard the rumors last fall but am wondering if it's actually happened yet. Hard to picture how it could be done at WL while still allowing people to walk around the pool to get to the beach and the villas.

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Have fences been installed around feature pools at other resorts? I heard the rumors last fall but am wondering if it's actually happened yet. Hard to picture how it could be done at WL while still allowing people to walk around the pool to get to the beach and the villas.
GF is fenced. Stormalong Bay at Y&B is fenced. AoA is fenced. POFQ is fenced. There may be others.

Sparkle81

Well what can we say, we booked our holiday in June 2013 for this November, Wilderness has it all so thats where we go, it costs us a small fortune but we save, stretch ourselves and so we spoil ourselves too and we are truly gutted that the relaxing, atmospheric pool area is going to be closed....... hey lets walk around the lake a bit & see if we can find another pool! last time we went, the test track was closed which was also a favourite of ours..... sod it lets go to Euro Disney instead...... no maybe not as its still the very poor relation by comparison.... We have asked our Virgin rep. who we booked with to see what can be done to move dates or resorts..... Will post what happens (if anything does) right here....
We've done exactly the same thing, and I'm waiting on a call back from Virgin, too.

katkat

The announcement says that the WL "quiet" pool is an option. Do they mean the pool at the WL Villas? I thought that was for members only? It's a very small area and could easily get overloaded with the main resort guests.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
GF is fenced. Stormalong Bay at Y&B is fenced. AoA is fenced. POFQ is fenced. There may be others.

That greatly depends on what you are calling fenced. FQ has always had a fence around all 4 sides however it is not gated fenced. It has big open gaps (or at least it did still in April of 2014) so it is theming vs a safety or keeping non guests out.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
The announcement says that the WL "quiet" pool is an option. Do they mean the pool at the WL Villas? I thought that was for members only? It's a very small area and could easily get overloaded with the main resort guests.
The Villas pool has always been available for all WL guests, including the main lodge.

During the refurb, WL guests may also use the pools at Fort Wilderness and the Contemporary.

Ducatipete

We've done exactly the same thing, and I'm waiting on a call back from Virgin, too.
Well I hope you do better than we did, prepared for the conversation we looked into a couple of alternative resorts to enable us to negotiate.......well the virgin rep firstly said that until they have official confirmation they can't do anything......a few hours later I get a call......and I quote "yes its been confirmed the pool is closed and you can change accommodation but it would be classed as a new booking so it would be based on todays costs and availability".....may I suggest yacht club?...."yes thats available, an extra £4000 and the dining plan isn't included"......why is that so expensive as in your brochure its a similar cost?......."hang on the Animal Kingdom is available around the same cost but still no dining plan"........"sorry thats all I can offer you, brochure prices are subject to change based on availability". Its blatantly obvious the other resorts on a par with Wilderness are going to be filling up because they have a pool & no building work! Well Mr Branson how about you put us all up in the Grand Floridian for no extra cost as this is the only other 5 star Disney owned resort near Magic kingdom with a pool which is what we originally booked. The Animal Kingdom as nice as it is isn't a boat ride from Magic Kingdom. What they need to realise is that I booked Wilderness lodge with the pool because we wanted to stay at that resort in that location with those facilities so whatever happens we are compromising our holiday unless we have the same or better, end of conversation......I am still pursuing it so be patient, will post it when I know it......

Sparkle81

Well I hope you do better than we did, prepared for the conversation we looked into a couple of alternative resorts to enable us to negotiate.......well the virgin rep firstly said that until they have official confirmation they can't do anything......a few hours later I get a call......and I quote "yes its been confirmed the pool is closed and you can change accommodation but it would be classed as a new booking so it would be based on todays costs and availability".....may I suggest yacht club?...."yes thats available, an extra £4000 and the dining plan isn't included"......why is that so expensive as in your brochure its a similar cost?......."hang on the Animal Kingdom is available around the same cost but still no dining plan"........"sorry thats all I can offer you, brochure prices are subject to change based on availability". Its blatantly obvious the other resorts on a par with Wilderness are going to be filling up because they have a pool & no building work! Well Mr Branson how about you put us all up in the Grand Floridian for no extra cost as this is the only other 5 star Disney owned resort near Magic kingdom with a pool which is what we originally booked. The Animal Kingdom as nice as it is isn't a boat ride from Magic Kingdom. What they need to realise is that I booked Wilderness lodge with the pool because we wanted to stay at that resort in that location with those facilities so whatever happens we are compromising our holiday unless we have the same or better, end of conversation......I am still pursuing it so be patient, will post it when I know it......
Thanks for keeping me updated. I spoke to another TA today, and waiting on yet another call back. Goodness knows where this will end up. No matter what happens, I am NOT losing my dining plan, that's for sure!
Keep battling! ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom