Wilderness Lodge DVC additions - Copper Creek Villas & Cabins

note2001

There are far too many posts focusing on the impact to their own experience here and not enough looking at the broader picture.
To appease F91Ex... yes, everything does boil down to money in Disney. Usually they're looking to save it (wouldn't you?)

Now for the rest. Imagine yourself as a Safety & Security analyst. Your job is to make recommendations for changes that will help to ensure 2 year olds do not wander into pools while their parent is taking a shower in a pool-level hotel room with a broken lock slider to the pool deck. Your job is to ensure that those three young 20-somethings who've just had a few drinks at the bar all get to return home from their vacation alive, and no one drowns while the other two turn their back on him. There are a million other scenarios one can come up with, not all involve "stupid people" but rather bad timing and opportunity for an issue to occur. Disney may shoot for a 10 in safety, but they know they'll never achieve it without destroying the guest experience so a balance has to be made.

So, we can no longer metaphorically ride the tailgate of the station wagon on our way down to the beach. Does that make the beach that much less fun? Maybe to a few, but not to most. So be it.

Disney is still to this day known as the safest environment to bring your family to on vacation. They're trying to keep it that way, and if their insurance premiums happen not to spike in the doing so, great.

Let's just hope that the new quiet/not-so-quiet pool will have beautiful, well themed fencing around it, and not the god awful mammoth sized, black gates they put in over at the main pool. I'm imagining a natural wooden look to the metal.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Warning labels exist because someone let someone else decide what was safe for them, and then hurt themselves. Until the stupid people of the world are gone we will never truly be free to do what we want.

Well, natural selection can take care of that..... ;-)

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I came to this topic hoping for an update and maybe pictures/drawings of the new cabins...WL is one of my home resorts. But nooooo......I have to wade through pages of complaints about pool hours.....

Disney is required by Florida statute to have fencing around its pools. And fencing that locks. Quite frankly, I don't want to be that resort guest who has a room by the resort pool and has problems sleeping because 10 drunk adults decided to have a pool party at 3am. Should the pools be open later, until midnight? Yes, I would concur. But only if Disney provides lifeguards. Children have drowned in crowded pools. And I participate in runDisney races. While I don't use the hot tub when I return from that morning's race (I prefer the Jacuzzi tub in my room with a Basin bath bomb), I know other runners would really like them to be open. If not early all the time, how about during those runDisney weekends? A soak in a hot tub or Jacuzzi tub is just what one needs after running 13.1 miles since 5:30 am. Or 48.6 miles if you've just completed the Dopey Challenge in January.

Rodan75

For the price you pay to stay at any of these resorts, the pool should be open early and late, even if they feel they need a lifeguard. And, no, I am not being a smart-aleck, knee-jerk, Disney-is-evil-and-can't-do-anything-right-these-days complainer. It is just true. The Disney resorts are marketed as full-scale resorts, where you can "stay in the magic," except that when come back to the resorts after the park, everything is closed. I think the resort gift shops, snack bars, and especially the pools should be open later or earlier than the parks. It just makes sense that at these large vacation resorts built alongside theme parks, the hours should take that into consideration.

Why pay $200-$500/night to "stay in the magic" when everything at your hotel closes by the time you get back from your $100 day at the park and doesn't open up again until after the parks do? Otherwise, if you want to swim or shop at the hotel gift shop, you might only have time to wait in line and ride Frozen when you get to Epcot.

I'm not a big 'disney-is-evil...' guy either. But I 100% agree with you. It seems like basic customer service to leave the mercantile and pool open until 12midnight every day during the Florida spring/summer months and maybe something less during the few winter months where it is actually cold.

I'm a defender of the Disney Resort experience, and I understand why they had to fence in the pool and even why the close the pools when there are no lifeguards, but lifeguards hours are inexpensive, so get them on-site and staffed from 7a-12mid. I provided this feedback in my last survey and in a letter directed to the resort management. I got responses on all of my other concerns but that one.

Ripken10

Warning labels exist because someone let someone else decide what was safe for them, and then hurt themselves. Until the stupid people of the world are gone we will never truly be free to do what we want.
Do you have an estimated time frame when they will no longer exist? Maybe right after they finish the monorail extenstion?

mm121

I'm not a big 'disney-is-evil...' guy either. But I 100% agree with you. It seems like basic customer service to leave the mercantile and pool open until 12midnight every day during the Florida spring/summer months and maybe something less during the few winter months where it is actually cold.

I'm a defender of the Disney Resort experience, and I understand why they had to fence in the pool and even why the close the pools when there are no lifeguards, but lifeguards hours are inexpensive, so get them on-site and staffed from 7a-12mid. I provided this feedback in my last survey and in a letter directed to the resort management. I got responses on all of my other concerns but that one.

yea its totally crazy that the resort pools are basically only open during park hours

so your paying 400 bucks for a hotel room, then 100 dollars a day to go to the parks, but yet if you want to take advantage of the amenities at that 400 dollar room you have to waste expensive park hours

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Saturday, July 23. The bare earth berm between the road to the Contemporary Resort and the new Copper Creek Cabins has now been planted over with several rows of conifer trees. This will provide an appropriate natural screen between the rustic cabins and "the rest of the world."

IMG_8166.JPG

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Sunday, August 7. Here are a couple of construction updates on the Wilderness Lodge DVC additions. The lake view from the current DVC villas shows the progress on the public buildings. The geometric shape in the foreground will probably be the new pool area. The actual DVC cabins are currently just plumbing lines ready for concrete foundations to be poured (no photos).

IMG_8210.JPG

A close up of the new building at the extreme left in the above photo. This could be a food service building, with a large outdoor dining pavilion on the left.

IMG_8209.JPG

betty rose

If Only I could drop my ESPN subscription, but unfortunately it is bundled in...I have never watched one minute of my 12 channels of never ending ESPN sports coverage... I would gladly take an ugraded art and entertainment package and dump the sports altogether...but this is just not possible....darn it!
I feel the same way. I hate sports channels. I wish we had a say as to what we pick. As far as the pools at Disney goes, I'm not a swimmer but loved sitting around the pool in the evening.

Rodan75

thanks for the photo, were staying here in a couple weeks and now Im second guessing about staying at this resort.

We stayed at the beginning of summer on points. I liked seeing the progress...but if I was paying cash for the rooms...I would have definitely been mad at just how much work is being done. The interior is still amazing and they have tried to keep the main pool area and view as unaffected as possible.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
There are far too many posts focusing on the impact to their own experience here and not enough looking at the broader picture.
To appease F91Ex... yes, everything does boil down to money in Disney. Usually they're looking to save it (wouldn't you?)

Now for the rest. Imagine yourself as a Safety & Security analyst. Your job is to make recommendations for changes that will help to ensure 2 year olds do not wander into pools while their parent is taking a shower in a pool-level hotel room with a broken lock slider to the pool deck. Your job is to ensure that those three young 20-somethings who've just had a few drinks at the bar all get to return home from their vacation alive, and no one drowns while the other two turn their back on him. There are a million other scenarios one can come up with, not all involve "stupid people" but rather bad timing and opportunity for an issue to occur. Disney may shoot for a 10 in safety, but they know they'll never achieve it without destroying the guest experience so a balance has to be made.

So, we can no longer metaphorically ride the tailgate of the station wagon on our way down to the beach. Does that make the beach that much less fun? Maybe to a few, but not to most. So be it.

Disney is still to this day known as the safest environment to bring your family to on vacation. They're trying to keep it that way, and if their insurance premiums happen not to spike in the doing so, great.

Let's just hope that the new quiet/not-so-quiet pool will have beautiful, well themed fencing around it, and not the god awful mammoth sized, black gates they put in over at the main pool. I'm imagining a natural wooden look to the metal.

Yet amazingly other full service resorts can open pools at 6 am and keep them open past midnight without the expense bankrupting them...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom