Wild Turkey in parking lot

Goofyernmost

Around here and up north we called them wild Turkeys but when I was in Florida, and I don't remember exactly who I heard it from, they were called Turkey Vultures. One year when I had rented a Villa near the old China Park, the morning would find the peaks of the roofs would be covered with them. My thought was that the were waiting for trash to be left out so they could have breakfast.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Around here and up north we called them wild Turkeys but when I was in Florida, and I don't remember exactly who I heard it from, they were called Turkey Vultures. One year when I had rented a Villa near the old China Park, the morning would find the peaks of the roofs would be covered with them. My thought was that the were waiting for trash to be left out so they could have breakfast.

Completely different animals...

Turkey vulture

View attachment 534344

Wild turkey

View attachment 534345

One is good eatin’...the other eat armadillo carcasses from “street not legal” Hondas that run the 535/536 interchange

Goofyernmost

Completely different animals...

Turkey vulture

View attachment 534344

Wild turkey

View attachment 534345

One is good eatin’...the other eat armadillo carcasses from “street not legal” Hondas that run the 535/536 interchange
For some reason your attachments are not showing up. All I get is a notice that I "do not have permission to view this page or perform this action". I did look it up myself and to my view point I have never seen a wild turkey, but have seen many turkey vultures. Looking at the picture from the OP I would have to say that was a Turkey Vulture. that are much more sleek then a wild turkey.

The Mom

Premium Member
For some reason your attachments are not showing up. All I get is a notice that I "do not have permission to view this page or perform this action". I did look it up myself and to my view point I have never seen a wild turkey, but have seen many turkey vultures. Looking at the picture from the OP I would have to say that was a Turkey Vulture. that are much more sleek then a wild turkey.
I have seen lots of wild turkeys along with turkey buzzards - and peacocks - and the original post is absolutely a photo of a male wild turkey.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Yeah...I can’t seem to post pictures...

I think @The Mom banned me from photos ever since I posted the video of @monothingie and @nickys re-enacting the final scene from Dirty Dancing in the EPCOT service area...

Anyway...turkey vultures are vile creatures...wild turkey are curious and fun to watch.

Last edited:

jeanericuser001

I've seen them before at Disney walking through in a group and there were multiple baby turkeys following along. In my home area we get them walking through our property at certain times of the year and they are fun to watch. Unfortunately they have to cross a roadway and theres always at least one that gets hit. When they startle they go slightly airborne and theres many vehicle windshields that get smashed in. View attachment 534047
Well that is one easy but costly way to get a turkey dinner for free. hehe

ppet

When the mono rail was running between Epcot and MK, turkeys along with other wildlife could be seen along the tracks. Best I've seen was an armadillo at Epcot. I was setting on a bench near the busses and it darted between my legs from under the bench. At that point i could have used the Wild turkey (liquid form).

Goofyernmost

I have seen lots of wild turkeys along with turkey buzzards - and peacocks - and the original post is absolutely a photo of a male wild turkey.
I haven't seen the two side by side except in the photo's posted. The ones I saw in Florida perched on house roof tops in a line like they were waiting for road kill. That is why when I asked I was told they were Turkey Vultures which seemed to fit the picture. But, my experience in birds is limited to a parakeet we once owned the the type that I flipped occasionally so I will concede to the experts.

The Mom

Premium Member
I haven't seen the two side by side except in the photo's posted. The ones I saw in Florida perched on house roof tops in a line like they were waiting for road kill. That is why when I asked I was told they were Turkey Vultures which seemed to fit the picture. But, my experience in birds is limited to a parakeet we once owned the the type that I flipped occasionally so I will concede to the experts.
I'm not any sort of expert, but do get the Cornell Ornithology Newsletter as I've participated in some of their bird counts, and volunteered as a zoo docent over my lifetime - where I led tours in various bird houses. And I am local so have a passing knowledge of common FL birds.

Goofyernmost

I'm not any sort of expert, but do get the Cornell Ornithology Newsletter as I've participated in some of their bird counts, and volunteered as a zoo docent over my lifetime - where I led tours in various bird houses. And I am local so have a passing knowledge of common FL birds.
That makes you an expert and me a simple observer. Your the advice I will take. Thanks for clearing that up.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

...name drop alert

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom