Wii will start a Revolution

dxwwf3

AUGH!!! *goes crazy and runs out to destroy all PS3s* I hate when people say things like that. Why would you say something is worth more money because it gives you something free? How do you know getting the cheaper thing and paying for the other part isn't better than paying more for free stuff? Just a thought.

Who said that was the only reason it was worth the money? If you think that's the only thing to the PS3, you're sadly mistaken. And it is worth the money to me for many reasons. To me, the Wii would be a rip off for $250, but that system isn't for me and it's obvious that something like the PS3 isn't the system for you.

UWereTheOne

Got my PS3 in the mail today. I've played Resistance and Madden so far and I'm overly impressed. The Playstation Store and FREE online gaming makes this system well worth the $$$ and the graphics on my HD set through HDMI really looks better than anything else I've seen. The built in Wi-Fi on my 60 GB has also worked very well. I have played two online games with Madden and I've had NO lag time (after I repositioned my Buffalo Router where it needed to be). After I get Tiger Woods, I don't think I'll be leaving the house much for the forseeable future :)

Who said that was the only reason it was worth the money? If you think that's the only thing to the PS3, you're sadly mistaken. And it is worth the money to me for many reasons. To me, the Wii would be a rip off for $250, but that system isn't for me and it's obvious that something like the PS3 isn't the system for you.

Nobody said that was the only reason it was worth more money. That's why I never said it was the only reason it was worth the money. But what I was saying is you said it was one of the reasons that makes it worth that much and I was wondering how paying more money to get something free justifies paying more money than paying less and buying the thing that would've been free. And I never said that's the only thing to the PS3. I mean, there's also the graphics lag, the really long loading times, and the still unoriginal not very good controller. I know the PS3 isn't the system for me. Oblivion pwns.

So, why's it worth the money to you?

darthjohnny

I'm sure the PS3 is a fine system and all, but it is too expensive. You can buy actual PCs for less than that. Just wait a little while, and the prices will be cut in half, and probably sold in bundle packs that includes other controllers, and games.

I am really suprised the Wii came out so cheap. I know that will attract a lot of people.

bhg469

I'm sure the PS3 is a fine system and all, but it is too expensive. You can buy actuall PCs for less than that. Just wait a little while, and the prices will be cut in half, and probably sold in bundle packs that includes other controllers, and games.

I am really suprised the Wii came out so cheap. I know that will attract a lot of people.

The thing that impressed me is that my girlfriend is wanting to play it as much as me. That never happens. She has a ps2 with kingdome hearts 1 and 2 and never plays them. The wii however she loves to play. I will never buy a sony product that isn't a TV or camera, even then i would have to be worried cause they arent top dog anymore. The ps3 is just a beefed up run of the mill system. six axis is a joke. xbox 360 is still a better value when you consider the price of the unit but they are still having their bugs. Putting the ps3 in the same category as the wii is stupid. The wii only has minor improvements in graphics over the game cube. Nintendo was smart they gambled and boy did they come out on to with this one.

UWereTheOne

Darthjohnny, I agree- my gaming PC comes out to a total of $620.

And as for the Wii not looking that much better than the GC- that's 'cause (so I hear) there was supposed to be better hardware in the GameCube, but they had to cut back a little bit and now the Wii is what the 'Cube would've been (plus the Wiimotes we all love:))

cmatt

ahhh the ps3 - imho i think it could be a bit of a white elephant for sony -like the psp- great consoles but sony always seem to be slow at providing substance. I will get a ps3 - but - in a while once they have got a deceant back cat, and that i know they arent going to suddenlly decide to withdraw it from sale like sega did with the dreamcast.

I will get a ps3 - just when they have sorted a few things out ;) :p

The reason for the wii being like the gamecube is because it is basically an overclocked gamecube - which is why its so easy to develop for!

dxwwf3

Nobody said that was the only reason it was worth more money. That's why I never said it was the only reason it was worth the money. But what I was saying is you said it was one of the reasons that makes it worth that much and I was wondering how paying more money to get something free justifies paying more money than paying less and buying the thing that would've been free. And I never said that's the only thing to the PS3. I mean, there's also the graphics lag, the really long loading times, and the still unoriginal not very good controller. I know the PS3 isn't the system for me. Oblivion pwns.

So, why's it worth the money to you?

If you use X-Box Live (which is a better system than the PS3's so far) you still have to pay a monthly fee. There is more to Live, but with the PS3, you just sign up for an account and you're all set. And over time, that will certainly save you more than if you bought a 360 and paid for Live.

Load times are almost non existant, PS2 load times were much longer than what I've seen in the two games I have. The graphics do not lag at all on Madden and Resistance and I'll be able to tell you about Tiger Woods after Christmas. Don't believe everything you hear from the biased Gamestop/EB Games workers. The only time I saw any lag time was during an online Madden game when I had a weak Wi-Fi signal. When I repositioned my router antenna better, that was gone. And the PS3 controller is by far the best in the business. Just look at the original X-Box controller and how they changed it for the 360. If Sony had changed the controller style, it would have been a big mistake.

The system is worth the money because of the Blu-Ray movie player (which will get almost as much use as the gaming part of the console), Playing games through HDMI has proved a noticeable difference from my PS2 component cables (which are completely interchangeable), Resistance is one of the best next gen games on the market today (from any console), and I've always liked the way GTA and EA Sports games (which is mainly all I buy) play on the Sony systems. The PS2 games that I tried out (the 3 GTA's and NCAA Football 2005) showed a much clearer and crisper image though the HDMI cable on the PS3 (which doesn't even technically upscale those games). I also remember hearing a story on either Gamespot or IGN that said EA used about 25% of the PS3's processing power on their launch title games.

UWereTheOne

First off, I wasn't basing anything off what Gamestop/EB workers, but if I was I would ask my friend who works there- he isn't biased, and he has a PS2, so if anything he'd probably be biased towards the PS3 not the 360. I'm basing what I'm saying off of my own personal experiences. When I camped with my friend when he was getting a Wii we went in and played around with the PS3. It had graphics lag. It had long loading times. It's controller wasn't very good. That's not what somebody told me. That's what I experienced, then and again last week. And as for much they changed the XBox controllers, look at the amazing differences between these:
s-controller-original.jpg
_41141351_360_controller02.jpg

Yes, I know that the first picture is of the S-controller, not the original, but still, that was not 'how they changed it for the 360,' but rather how they changed it for the first one because theirs wasn't as good as it should've been. So what does that mean? The original PlayStation controllers didn't have the joysticks.

Yes, I know the Blu-Ray player is worth money. That's actually the only reason I'd get a PS3 before it drops down to like $100- it'd still be cheaper than buying a real player.

And I don't know if I'm blind or something, but I just don't notice that much of a difference in HD stuff. Everyone says 'But the PS3 outputs in 1080, the 360 only outputs in 720.' They just forget one crucial fact- are the games actually going to be produced in 1080? If not, why does it matter? That brings up another crucial point- time is money. The game developer's time is money. So the longer it takes to make a game, the more that game will probably cost. If (nothing against Blu-Ray, I actually prefer it to HD-DVD) a disk can hold five times as much as it used to be able to, that means game developers will have to make five times as much content to fill it up. Everyone says having more space on the disk will mean bigger games/better graphics/more content. But that also means more people spending more time making more content, which results in the games costing more. I mean, think about the good old days- back when you could get an N64 game for 35 bucks. Now you're paying upwards of 50-70 for one game. I know, the 360 games cost about the game, but either they'll just make no nice new content, or they'll make lots extra and you'll wind up paying more.

cmatt

id respond to all the points made - but im sick and tired of the pig headedness of some gamers :| oh well - so much for a healthy topic eh?

bhg469

id respond to all the points made - but im sick and tired of the pig headedness of some gamers :| oh well - so much for a healthy topic eh?

You should respond to some of them at least. Obviously some people aren't going to embrace the wii and some people won't embrace the ps3. Myself the wii is a whole different ball game and cannot be compared to the other 2 systems. I will buy a 360 just because it will come down 50-100 soon. As far as the ps3? The world needs fanboys too.

cmatt

You should respond to some of them at least. Obviously some people aren't going to embrace the wii and some people won't embrace the ps3. Myself the wii is a whole different ball game and cannot be compared to the other 2 systems. I will buy a 360 just because it will come down 50-100 soon. As far as the ps3? The world needs fanboys too.

word of advice - ive only just had my 360 replaced and it went faulty in october :lookaroun maybe different for the us - but id wait a bit longer. There wont be much of a price drop as they make the consoles at a loss... so dont count on it just yet! Gears of war looks stunning - getting that in glasgow on boxing day!

I want all three - as i like them for their own different qualities... im impressed with the wii, uninspired by the 360 (as getting it fixed was like talking to a brick wall :brick: ) ps3 as im a huge sucker for final fantasy and kingom hearts! :sohappy: :lookaroun

before i get the ps3 i need to move into a bigger flat and get some 40" lcd tv action instead of my crappy 32". Also need to replace my front speakers - but mrs cmatt reads these forums so ill stop here :rolleyes: :D

cmatt

you can uh, send that 'crappy' 32 incher to me. I'll dispose of it properly.

it has 2 blown pixels :( and it doesnt exactly do 1080p - not to mention its in the uk :rolleyes:....:lol:

its been a good investment - but 32" is just rubbish for games like gears of war :lookaroun

UWereTheOne

Uhm, right now I have a whopping 0.0" TV in my room, so I'd be fine with a crappy 32". And my sister wants to go back to Austria soon- You can go there and slip it into her suitcase... she won't notice... Either that or one of my random XFire friends who lives in Europe could ship it to me. Hmm, or I could just pay you to ship it to me. lol

MAF

I'm so tired of hearing about people justifying the PS3 by saying, "Oh well it's worth the price for the Blu-Ray player!!!" It's pretty sad when the only good thing about the video game system is something that has nothing to do w/ video games at all.

cmatt

I'm so tired of hearing about people justifying the PS3 by saying, "Oh well it's worth the price for the Blu-Ray player!!!" It's pretty sad when the only good thing about the video game system is something that has nothing to do w/ video games at all.

well thats a bit harsh - you can run linux off it too you know :p on a seperate partition on the hard disk. I have no doubt in my mind that the sony machine will pick up pace - they HAVE to as otherwise they have made a white elephant. I personally for the time being have decided to stick with my wii and 360 - but ill DEFINATLY be buying a ps3. Further down the line when i can justify to mrs cmatt the price... (it was bad enough paying for a 360)

What narks me off however is the fact that the hd dvd rom drive from microsoft is an added *extra* which is great because the user can choose at the end of the day if he wants to have hd dvd movies - thus initially cutting costs. If i could say who will win it will be the 360 - with the wii being unique enough to create its own niche in the market.

dxwwf3

However Microsoft will not be able to make games for their HD-DVD drive because it is a movie only drive. I think you are right about Sony having to pick up the pace though. And I'm thinking that using the Blu-Ray discs for the games should help down the line while Microsoft is still limited to DVD discs. However there is a chance that the PS3 will end up being a little ahead of its time if the developers can't take advantage of the extra space. And when you plan on buying a game system, you can't look at just look at the now. I think that the PS3 launch titles look just as good as the current 360 games and I hope that 3 years down the line the gap is wider.

wdwishes2005

uh, I'm one of the large percentage of people that like PC games and Console games seperate, on seperate machines, and a dvd/hd-dvd/Blu-ray/VHS player on the side, or at most in the computer. I really dont want to have to run windows on a machine that I can't upgrade, and I don't want to play console games on my PC. Ever.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom