Why...

That's So Raven

I'll admit that people do tend to look at me crazy when they find out I go to Disney World and Disneyland at least twice a year, but I could care less. It's what I love to do and what I have been doing my whole life. It's pretty much what everyone is saying, that they think it's a place for kids. They really have no clue.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Wait a minute... :lookaroun

I've met you!

You can't deny the "other" part either! :lol:

:kiss:

sbkline

There is a place in Missouri called Cloud 9 Ranch. It is a camper's paradise. It has hunting, fishing, camping, etc. My aunt and uncle took me twice when I was a child, and it was very nice. They have been going every year since that time, yet they sometimes give me a hard time for going to WDW every year. When I mention how they have their own place that they go every year as well, I'm always given the excuse that they go other places too. True, but we're not retired with a pension from the railroad, and no kids in the house. Plus, it's our own darn business where we want to go every year, thank you very much.

LucyintheSky

Plus, it's our own darn business where we want to go every year, thank you very much.

This is my issue with some "Disney non-lovers" I know. I really couldn't care less if they don't "get" Disney, and think it's stupid that I enjoy going to the parks as much as I do. I'm definitely not going to try to "convert" them or anything, because I know WDW isn't for everyone. But-I wish they would SHUT UP about it. Don't be rude and condescending and judge ME for what I like, and lecture me about how it's for kids, it's dumb, etc. That's what grates on my last nerve.

NewfieFan

Original Poster
Wait a minute... :lookaroun

I've met you!

You can't deny the "other" part either! :lol:

:kiss:

Pot calling the kettle black!?! :lol: :kiss:

What I find funny, though is people's reactions... it's one thing to act surprised and ask, "You're going again!?!" but it's another to get upset and act like I've affected your life by going to Disney so often.

These people are just jealous, I guess - that's my conclusion! :cool:

sbkline

This is my issue with some "Disney non-lovers" I know. I really couldn't care less if they don't "get" Disney, and think it's stupid that I enjoy going to the parks as much as I do. I'm definitely not going to try to "convert" them or anything, because I know WDW isn't for everyone. But-I wish they would SHUT UP about it. Don't be rude and condescending and judge ME for what I like, and lecture me about how it's for kids, it's dumb, etc. That's what grates on my last nerve.

Exactly. And another thing that gets on my nerves is the judgemental attitude I sense from my Dad and my brother for going to WDW every year. Their judgemenatlism isn't quite as vocal, though. Rather, it's that disapproving silence, and facial expressions that I get when I mention the subject. They think we're wasting our money making that annual trip. But as I observe their lives, I have concluded that it isn't that they are so frugal (although they are, to a point), but they just have a totally different set of priorities to spend their money on. My brother has to have the best of whatever he purchases. For example, whereas we are satisfied to go up to Walmart and buy a new vaccuum cleaner for $150, my brother had to have the best possible model when he got a new one, and paid over 500 bucks. He wants a big screen TV, whereas I'm satisfied with just a basic 27 incher for 200 bucks or so. When my Mom and Dad had their vehicle accident and my Mom died, my Dad traded off Mom's vehicle for a fully loaded truck with all the trimmings, and I was satisfied to buy a minivan with manual locks and windows so I could get it for cheap. Dad recently spent around 14 grand on a jacuzzi tub to put outside, and he takes trips all by himself to Europe, Arizona, Florida, etc.

Speaking for myself, my priorities lie more in having family experiences and making memories with my wife and kids, than in having the biggest and best toys. My brother would rather splurge on the toys and forgo the vacations. That's perfectly fine. That's his choice and he's entitled to it. But it rubs me the wrong way when he acts like I'm foolish for wanting to spend some money enjoying things with my family.

And now that my Dad is widowed with no kids at home, he likes to splurge on a trip here and there, but apparently he is more interested in doing these things by himself than he is in spending time with his grandkids. Myself, if I were in his position, I would want to take my kids and grandkids on these trips and enjoy those family bonds, but apparently, he would rather spend his money on a jaccuzzi tub for himself and trips all by himself. Again, that's his money and his business, but I don't see why it's okay for him to spend his money on his little toys and trips, but I'm foolish for wanting to take my family on an annual vacation.:shrug:

Sorry to hijack the thread on a rant like that, but as you can tell, this issue is kind of a pet peeve of mine, too.:lol:

cowanfamily

Many people think a WDW trip cost $20,000 and there is no way a person should be able to go twice in a year. Let alone twice in a lifetime. They view those that go crazy because we waste so much money on the place. The reality is if you go at the right times it doesn't cost that much. Most people are just jealous of your situation. I have a sister that has never been and says it ridiculous that I go as often as I do. She thinks I could find better things to do with my money. I just laugh at her and tell her 6 year old daughter that "maybe one day your mommy will wise up and take you. Until then I will bring you something back!"

skimbob

i have been to WDW three times in a year the last one being a couple of weeks ago and I live in California. I love all the parks and my attitude is if you don't like it keep it to yourself. i go by myself and I have a blast.

I don't know why some people feel the need to comment when it really isn't any of their business where I travel to. I am already planning my Halloween and Christmas trips to DL.

My motto is seize the day. Do what makes you happy.

Walt Disney1955

I recently had a 6 month period where I went twice. I got the same reaction as everyone else does here. "You're going again?" You can loose your hair trying to explain why you love it so much. Most people haven't gone, and they judge WDW by the commercials they see on TV. Dumbo, character greetings, Tinkerbell is usually stuff on those commercials. Needless to say the commercials are directed at children.

We know better of course because even if the ads are directed at kids I think it makes Disney brilliant for doing this because if kids drag their parents there then they know the parents will love it too (at least the ones who want to love it). And those kids will grow up and take THEIR kids, and so goes the ripple effect. If you saw an ad for Disney and it featured more adult things like Hall of Presidents, Carousel of Progress and American Adventure then kids wouldn't be drawn to it.

I've mentioned this before but at work there is a man who says I have "Peter Pan syndrome". I'm 30 by the way, not 10. He doesn't "get" it, and you know what, that's his choice. But don't stomp on my last nerve trying to convince me that I'm immature either. I've always felt that if you went to Disney solely for the architecture that you would fall in love with it. There is so much that appeals to so many out there.

Lastly, I went to Cedar Point last year with three other male friends. Two of us have wifes and were all aged 29-34. Three of us went to WDW and the other had been to Disneyland. We LOVED Cedar Point but all 4 of us - grown men - agreed that you cannot beat a day at Disney World.

DiPSU224

It's not worth my time to explain to people why I go so often, nor do I feel like I need to explain where I vacation to people. Most times, I just say I'm going to Florida, not WDW because I don't want to hear them bash something they usually know nothing about.

I also kindly remind them that when they decide they want to start funding my vacations, they are more than welcome to send me wherever they chose. That usually is the only response I need. :)

MickeyPeace

Ultimately it's not your problem if others don't understand or disapprove, it THEIR problem.

Go. Have fun. Enjoy Disney as many times as you can afford!

DisneyFam757

We usually go between 2 and 3 times a year and look forward to each and every trip as if it has been years in between. My family says the same; Why do you go to Disney every year, do something different. When I think of Disney I think of memories, the magic and the atmosphere. There is nothing like it!!!

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I still think part of the problem is how Disney is marketing these days...it's all about the little kids and princesses, so anyone who has never been, or hasn't been for a long time don't understand why you'd want to go to a "kiddie" resort.

I think Disney is losing out by not advertising all of the great activities for the adults to do, instead they have the "moms panel" and kids dress up stuff for hundreds of dollars.

I believe I mentioned this in another thread, but where else in the world can you go:

Parasailing
Fishing
Golfing
NASCAR driving
Night Clubs (Boardwalk, at least)
Mini-Golf
Take a Balloon ride
Rent mini boats
Rent larger boats and luxury yachts
Ride on an authentic steam train or river boat
Learn history of the American Presidents and the creation of the U.S.
Meet people from all over the world and talk about their culture, while looking at real historical artifacts, etc.
Have nearly any kind of meal you can think of (reservations aside)
See new technology being showcased at EPCOT
Go on a safari that's just like being in Africa

....and lots of other stuff I'm forgetting

dsnyfreak

i GO MORE THAN TWICE A YEAR!! MORE LIKE EVERY DAY MY HUSBAND AND I CAN GET OFF TOGETHER. MAYBE EVERY OTHER MONTH EVEN IF IT IS ONLY FOR A DAY TRIP AND TWICE A YEAR FOR A WEEK. AM I CRAZY OR OBSESSED? I DONT THINK SO. I THINK I JUST ENJOY GETTING AWAY ONCE IN A WHILE SO I CAN ESCAPE REALITY FOR A WHILE,THANK YOU:D:sohappy::D:D

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
i GO MORE THAN TWICE A YEAR!! MORE LIKE EVERY DAY MY HUSBAND AND I CAN GET OFF TOGETHER. MAYBE EVERY OTHER MONTH EVEN IF IT IS ONLY FOR A DAY TRIP AND TWICE A YEAR FOR A WEEK. AM I CRAZY OR OBSESSED? I DONT THINK SO. I THINK I JUST ENJOY GETTING AWAY ONCE IN A WHILE SO I CAN ESCAPE REALITY FOR A WHILE,THANK YOU:D:sohappy::D:D

Why are you YELLING? We're all on your side here. :lol:

Crockett

Banned
... but if you go to Disney World twice in the same year you're considered crazy and obsessed!?! :rolleyes:

Me <----crazy, obsessed, and dang proud of it! :D Now bring on the next trip to WDW.

For those that understand no explanation is needed. For those that do not understand no explanation will ever suffice.
Very well said, Master Yoda.

i GO MORE THAN TWICE A YEAR!! MORE LIKE EVERY DAY MY HUSBAND AND I CAN GET OFF TOGETHER. MAYBE EVERY OTHER MONTH EVEN IF IT IS ONLY FOR A DAY TRIP AND TWICE A YEAR FOR A WEEK. AM I CRAZY OR OBSESSED? I DONT THINK SO. I THINK I JUST ENJOY GETTING AWAY ONCE IN A WHILE SO I CAN ESCAPE REALITY FOR A WHILE,THANK YOU
Wow. Now that is enthusiasm.

datw@epcot

It's not worth my time to explain to people why I go so often, nor do I feel like I need to explain where I vacation to people. Most times, I just say I'm going to Florida, not WDW because I don't want to hear them bash something they usually know nothing about.

I also kindly remind them that when they decide they want to start funding my vacations, they are more than welcome to send me wherever they chose. That usually is the only response I need. :)

Nice, I use the "Florida" destination too.

pumpkin7

apparently i'm an obsessed weirdo because i know that all the castles in the disney parks are for different princesses, and that theres 185 miles between tokyo disneyland and the nuclear power plant with problems. i dont talk about disney much at work because of this. i think it's because none of them have ever been to disney. it's a shame.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom