Why was the EPCOT Wand removed?

suedenim

Original Poster
Just curious - I've read why they put the wand there next to Spaceship Earth in the first place (to increase EPCOT's "Mouse Branding?"), but what's the reasoning behind taking it down now? Do they plan for some similar "Trylon" to go with the SEE "Perisphere," or have they elected to go back to the original look?

(As someone who has only been there as a kid when it first opened, I approve - the big wand looks "wrong" to me.)

Captain Hank

It was a design choice by both Epcot Operations and Siemens, the new sponsor of Spaceship Earth. It was starting to look a bit tacky in its old age (as if it didn't look tacky just by being itself), and it was also getting really expensive to keep replacing the lightbulbs.

There are no plans to put anything in the wand's place. Thus, SSE will remain in its original state for the forseeable future.

dandaman

I'm very happy to see no "because everyone hated it" remarks in the first 25 minutes of this thread's inception. Keep it up. :D :lol:

Eyorefan

Just curious - I've read why they put the wand there next to Spaceship Earth in the first place (to increase EPCOT's "Mouse Branding?"), but what's the reasoning behind taking it down now? Do they plan for some similar "Trylon" to go with the SEE "Perisphere," or have they elected to go back to the original look?

(As someone who has only been there as a kid when it first opened, I approve - the big wand looks "wrong" to me.)

Welcome to the boards!

If you do a search on the "Wand topic" you'll come up with some pretty enlighting threads.

I don't think the answer to you question was ever really answered on any of them, but they are really good reads if you have a lot of time on your hands.

Expo_Seeker40

Woooo a wand thread....it's like Elvis.....it never goes away....perhaps there will be professional wand tribute signs some day like on the 25th anniversary the day the last of the wand was completely removed. :lookaroun

The wand was built to be a symbolic structure of the Mellenium Celebration. Interestingly enough there were a group of Imagineers that voiced their opinion of not only the cost of building the structure, but also the design itself.

The main person who got the wand rolling.....er pad pun.....his name escapes me :cry:...he is also credible with the giant Sorceror Mickey Hat at MGM.

Anyhow there was a big cosmetic change at Epcot in 1999, particularly in Future World in preparation for the Mellenium. Some liked it. Other didn't. Controversial even to this day among Disney fans.

Anyhow the wand was supposed to be temporary. Though its strucutre could withstand that of a hurricane, unless the structure was compeltelty retrofitted, it could only safetly last from 1999 to 2009....2010 was pushing it.

AT&T and Disney worked a financial plan to build the wand. AT&T also put money into the New Global Neighborhood as well as fixing some parts of Spaceship Earth itself.

However when the Mellenium Celebration ended.....the wand structure....more costly than the Cinderella Castle Cake 25th Anniversary overlay....was just too expensive to take down. It wasn't in anyone's budget. So rather than having to spend the money to change the years on the wand i.e. 2001, 2002, etc until money would be spent to take the entire wand down. The easier way was to change the sign to say "Epcot".

AT&T then left as sponsor, killing all hopes of the wand to be taken down in 2002/2003 with no cofinancer for the wand's removal. Seimens steps in, negotiations are made, and the wand finally is removed while SSE remains closed for its rehab and also in time for Epcot's 25th.

While the wand did provide branding for Epcot as a Disney park because of Mickey's arm, it was something that wasn't taken extremely seriously, and the comments of the wand being a permanent structure were nothing more than a blue sky idea.

Spaceship Earth was designed to be a structure in and of itself. Only the graceful and tall washington palm trees would be on its side. Many of the palm trees were carefully placed in the sense of one tree being slightly taller than the other creating a pattern.

There was never an intention of a 1939 world's fair trylon and perisphere structure.

While some liked the wand, and even thought it was magical, spaceship earth was iconic and magical enough as it was and always is. It was simply a great Disney created strucutre. It didn't need mickey mouse. Spaceship Earth WAS Disney.

Anyhow...with the peeling paint, fading mickey arm cutouts, and burnt out bulbs....the wand was a pain to take care of.

brkgnews

Suedenim gets "brkgnews brownie points" for knowing what a "trylon" and "perisphere" are. :sohappy:

And suedenim wasn't even subjected to my impromptu rambling T&P lectures during C25. :lookaroun

SDav10495

While some liked the wand, and even thought it was magical...

I just envisioned a cult gathering around the wand's base on the eve of its destruction, drinking red Kool-Aid, clasping hands, and convincing themselves that the wand will carry them to outer space when the sun goes down. :lookaroun

Or something.

DisneyMusician2

:brick::brick:
This one has some ugly potential....

Let's just say it came down and many are still celebrating.

If you are one of the wand supporters, my condolences....:zipit:

subhuman31

Woooo a wand thread....it's like Elvis.....it never goes away....perhaps there will be professional wand tribute signs some day like on the 25th anniversary the day the last of the wand was completely removed. :lookaroun

The wand was built to be a symbolic structure of the Mellenium Celebration. Interestingly enough there were a group of Imagineers that voiced their opinion of not only the cost of building the structure, but also the design itself.

The main person who got the wand rolling.....er pad pun.....his name escapes me :cry:...he is also credible with the giant Sorceror Mickey Hat at MGM.

Anyhow there was a big cosmetic change at Epcot in 1999, particularly in Future World in preparation for the Mellenium. Some liked it. Other didn't. Controversial even to this day among Disney fans.

Anyhow the wand was supposed to be temporary. Though its strucutre could withstand that of a hurricane, unless the structure was compeltelty retrofitted, it could only safetly last from 1999 to 2009....2010 was pushing it.

AT&T and Disney worked a financial plan to build the wand. AT&T also put money into the New Global Neighborhood as well as fixing some parts of Spaceship Earth itself.

However when the Mellenium Celebration ended.....the wand structure....more costly than the Cinderella Castle Cake 25th Anniversary overlay....was just too expensive to take down. It wasn't in anyone's budget. So rather than having to spend the money to change the years on the wand i.e. 2001, 2002, etc until money would be spent to take the entire wand down. The easier way was to change the sign to say "Epcot".

AT&T then left as sponsor, killing all hopes of the wand to be taken down in 2002/2003 with no cofinancer for the wand's removal. Seimens steps in, negotiations are made, and the wand finally is removed while SSE remains closed for its rehab and also in time for Epcot's 25th.

While the wand did provide branding for Epcot as a Disney park because of Mickey's arm, it was something that wasn't taken extremely seriously, and the comments of the wand being a permanent structure were nothing more than a blue sky idea.

Spaceship Earth was designed to be a structure in and of itself. Only the graceful and tall washington palm trees would be on its side. Many of the palm trees were carefully placed in the sense of one tree being slightly taller than the other creating a pattern.

There was never an intention of a 1939 world's fair trylon and perisphere structure.

While some liked the wand, and even thought it was magical, spaceship earth was iconic and magical enough as it was and always is. It was simply a great Disney created strucutre. It didn't need mickey mouse. Spaceship Earth WAS Disney.

Anyhow...with the peeling paint, fading mickey arm cutouts, and burnt out bulbs....the wand was a pain to take care of.

Thank you so much for that explanation. I never knew the reasoning for the wand in the first place but that was explained very well. Now let's all forget about the wand and move on.

kucarachi

what wand?

The reason they removed the wand was because it wasnt natural looking...unlike the 10 story big white ball in the middle of Florida. Its been a brutal debate with most loyalist sticking with the original ball over the las vegas style wand. Personaly now it looks dark and gloomy at night without it.....next is the hat at MGM!

coasterphil

Siemens didn't want it and Disney gave in to their desires. It wasn't supposed to stay up there forever, but there weren't any removal plans until Siemens decided it needed to go. At least that is the story I heard.

suedenim

Original Poster
Suedenim gets "brkgnews brownie points" for knowing what a "trylon" and "perisphere" are. :sohappy:

And suedenim wasn't even subjected to my impromptu rambling T&P lectures during C25. :lookaroun

Thanks, though I have to admit the primary reason I know about them is because the All Star Squadron (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-Star_Squadron) was based there during WWII. :)

perisphere.jpg

Thanks to Expo_Seeker for the great explanation of the Wand! I'm always fascinated by the way sometimes things are decided not for some grand reason, but because of mundane stuff like the cost of light bulbs or budgeting for construction of a temporary structure but not its removal.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom