Why should we stay on property?

Disstevefan1

Hi everyone.
I have been going to WDW since 1987 and have stayed on property since 2003. My wife loves staying on property.
We do not do anything at the resorts other than basically sleep and shower.
Last years trip was obviously canceled and rescheduled to June 2021.
I have changed our resort 4 times( ASM, POFQ, CBR, and back to ASM)
Lately, I have been asking myself, ”Why should we stay on property.”
It’s $1000 more for our 10 day stay.
No EMH.
No fast passes.
Parking fees at resort.
When I asked my wife why we should stay at ASM, the only other perk she could come up with was the bus transportation to the parks.
Frankly, I prefer driving my truck to the parks. Most of the time we get there quicker than the buses(MK being the exception) and it’s way more comfortable.
So, why should we stay on property?
My idea is to stay at a Flamingo Crossing Hotel.

"We do not do anything at the resorts other than basically sleep and shower."

You answered your own question.

But you can stay at many higher quality accommodations at lower prices off properly. Have a look at all the Disney Springs Area resorts, there are some that are walking distance to Disney Springs then you can take a Disney bus from Disney Springs to the parks. For example, Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista , at a glance its $135 a night for June 2021

Chi84

Premium Member
"We do not do anything at the resorts other than basically sleep and shower."

You answered your own question.

But you can stay at many higher quality accommodations at lower prices off properly. Have a look at all the Disney Springs Area resorts, there are some that are walking distance to Disney Springs then you can take a Disney bus from Disney Springs to the parks. For example, Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista , at a glance its $135 a night for June 2021
Is there bus transportation between Disney Springs and the parks?
Edit: Never mind. Found it.

ilovelabs2021

I'm trying to put some information together and I'm really curious....If I were to make a thread asking how much people spend-ish on their WDW vacation, would that be considered rude? I'd love to know peoples budgets.....Hope that's not nosey.
We (family of 4) are paying $5600 for 7 nights at Beach Club plus 7 day hopper tickets in July with the current room discount offer. Can we find a cheaper place? Sure. Would some call us suckers? Maybe, lol. However, we adore this resort, the pool, and the proximity to two parks, so for us, it's worth it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We (family of 4) are paying $5600 for 7 nights at Beach Club plus 7 day hopper tickets in July with the current room discount offer. Can we find a cheaper place? Sure. Would some call us suckers? Maybe, lol. However, we adore this resort, the pool, and the proximity to two parks, so for us, it's worth it.

I totally agree with you there...what would the equivalent price at Caribbean or port orleans?

I bet not nearly enough to justify the downshift.

aliceismad

I totally agree with you there...what would the equivalent price at Caribbean or port orleans?

I bet not nearly enough to justify the downshift.
I priced out a week for late summer yesterday out of curiosity. Cheapest room at Coronado (the cheapest moderate) for 7 nights plus 7 day hopper for 2 adults and 1 kid was $3800-ish (under the 2 Extra Ticket Days package - no room discount available yet). The cheapest deluxe was Wilderness Lodge at $4800.

For comparison, the DCL 7-day cruise we were looking is running (at minimum) $5400 for the three of us in a balcony, but includes food in that cost. (Though not Palo or alcohol, if you are so inclined.) Prices go up a lot depending on date. We wanted to get some ideas of costs before the Summer/Fall 2022 cruises are released.

JohnD

Okay. So I'm going to WDW next week for March 1 through 6 with a stay at Pop Century for $796.18, an average of $159.24/night. If I were to add one more night it would cost me approximately $999.36, or an average of $166.56/night. I just checked Marriott SpringHill Suites Flamingo Crossing. For the same schedule (6 nights, March 1 - 7), the "Long Term Stay" rate would be $533 or $88.83/night. That's a whopping difference of $466 ($999 Pop - 533 Marriott SpringHill).

I'm seriously considering cancelling Pop Century and reserving Marriott SpringHill Suites instead. I already have my park and dining reservations. And, as I'm sure as has already been pointed out, there are currently no guaranteed FastPasses nor Extra Magic Hours to persuade me to stay at Pop. The only reason I might stay there is because of the Skyliner. But I'm an Annual Passholder, it's free for me to park at the parks, and I've gotten to know my way around. A savings of $466 (plus complimentary parking and breakfast) is nothing to sneeze at.

Edit: Did further research. I would lose the privilege of park reservations for the length of my resort stay, UNLESS my resort stay is still at a "select" Disney resort. As an Annual Passholder, I get rolling three days for park pass reservations so would retain my reservations for March 1 - 3. Marriot SpringHill suites is considered a "WDW Gateway Resort". Does that also make it a "select" resort? I realize I would have to input my confirmation # into MDE. Hopefully I would retain my park reservations for March 4 - 7. If not, I could input March 4 - 7 reservations on the same day if SpringHill is considered a "select" resort. Worst case: I input a new park reservation for the next day every morning for my rolling three days as an annual passholder.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
Okay. So I'm going to WDW next week for March 1 through 6 with a stay at Pop Century for $796.18, an average of $159.24/night. If I were to add one more night it would cost me approximately $999.36, or an average of $166.56/night. I just checked Marriott SpringHill Suites Flamingo Crossing. For the same schedule (6 nights, March 1 - 7), the "Long Term Stay" rate would be $533 or $88.83/night. That's a whopping difference of $466 ($999 Pop - 533 Marriott SpringHill).

I'm seriously considering cancelling Pop Century and reserving Marriott SpringHill Suites instead. I already have my park and dining reservations. And, as I'm sure as has already been pointed out, there are currently no guaranteed FastPasses nor Extra Magic Hours to persuade me to stay at Pop. The only reason I might stay there is because of the Skyliner. But I'm an Annual Passholder, it's free for me to park at the parks, and I've gotten to know my way around. A savings of $466 (plus complimentary parking and breakfast) is nothing to sneeze at.

Edit: Did further research. I would lose the privilege of park reservations for the length of my resort stay, UNLESS my resort stay is still at a "select" Disney resort. As an Annual Passholder, I get rolling three days for park pass reservations so would retain my reservations for March 1 - 3. Marriot SpringHill suites is considered a "WDW Gateway Resort". Does that also make it a "select" resort? I realize I would have to input my confirmation # into MDE. Hopefully I would retain my park reservations for March 4 - 7. If not, I could input March 4 - 7 reservations on the same day if SpringHill is considered a "select" resort. Worst case: I input a new park reservation for the next day every morning for my rolling three days as an annual passholder.
Pretty sure it isn’t. But take a look at their website. If they qualify as a “Select” resort with Disney privileges they will be saying so.

JohnD

Pretty sure it isn’t. But take a look at their website. If they qualify as a “Select” resort with Disney privileges they will be saying so.

I decided not to rock the boat and keep my original plans of staying in Pop. When it gets to Saturday and I want an extra day, I'll make a one-night reservation for SpringHill at that time. Otherwise, I'll drive home on Saturday, with Sunday to unwind before back in the office Monday.

StarshipDisney

Disney may some day regret some of their current policies if only because it has caused some die hard Disney lovers like myself to re-evaluate our Disney trips. I have always loved staying on property, especially the deluxe resorts, and I am a detailed planner who has always taken full advantage of the Fast Pass and ADR perks. I was also just starting to explore tours and dessert parties. Of course, none of that matters now.

Having spent some time recently exploring my options an looking closely at many hotels and resorts in the general International Drive area, I was very surprised to find that I can get into the Embassy Suites Orlando International Drive for 7 nights in a 2-room suite for just over $900 at $905.23 including tax (AAA Rate and includes parking). Now, I don't know how many here may have traveled as much as I have and stayed at many levels and Brands of accommodations during my career, but I can tell you that Embassy Suites have ALWAYS been very nice hotels with a free hot breakfast and evening receptions (free drinks).

Lets see now, with the current state of what I refer to as "Disney Diminished", I can stay at the Contemporary Resort for about $7,500 or stay at the Embassy Suites over on International Drive for about $900 with a free hot breakfast every morning...and I know from experience that Embassy Suites has always had a nice full breakfast.

Yes, the Disney price included tickets so throw in another $1000 for tickets. Also granted that the breakfast and reception at Embassy Suites may or may not be available right now (the website sounds like they are), but the point is that I really see now just how expensive Disney is and just how much cheaper I can stay at a very deluxe hotel like the Embassy Suites. It is going to take a lot more than what Disney offers to resort guests right now to lure me back to stay at the Contemporary again and spend that $7500 (or more).

Embassy Suites for $900. Yeah, unless things change greatly by July, then I think I can go for that and try Disney in September as a day guest. I'll buy my tickets more than 60-days in advance and still have as much chance at an ADR as any resort guest. So they get in 30 minutes early...not that big of an advantage.

Weather_Lady

Embassy Suites for $900. Yeah, unless things change greatly by July, then I think I can go for that and try Disney in September as a day guest. I'll buy my tickets more than 60-days in advance and still have as much chance at an ADR as any resort guest. So they get in 30 minutes early...not that big of an advantage.
The 30 minute early park entry might not even have started by July anyway -- they may wait until the 50th Anniversary in October, or even later! (I know the announcement in January said early park entry would be "coming soon," but they haven't breathed another word about it in the 6 weeks since, and Space 220 has been "opening soon" for 2 years now, so I don't put much stock in Disney's diction.) Either way, I think your reasoning is sound.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Plus tickets, or including tickets? there's a difference... if the tickets are included, you're paying $200 pp/pd... high but not cri-zay.

If you're paying another $2400 for tickets on top of that... now you're in "sucker" territory at $286 pp/pd... plus food, plus parking... you'll be well over $320 pp/pd.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom