Why should we stay on property?

daisyduckie

My only add is that (and maybe I'm wrong) the shuttles are not running from the parking lots to the front gates of the park. If that is still true, that can be a lot of extra walking. So if you look at the magic kingdom the drive from the flamingo crossings area is 5 minutes longer than it is from the all stars. Then you need to add in parking, and the extra time it will take to walk up to the gates.

Hopefully I'm wrong and Disney is running the parking lot shuttles. If not, then it is something to keep in mind.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
My only add is that (and maybe I'm wrong) the shuttles are not running from the parking lots to the front gates of the park. If that is still true, that can be a lot of extra walking. So if you look at the magic kingdom the drive from the flamingo crossings area is 5 minutes longer than it is from the all stars. Then you need to add in parking, and the extra time it will take to walk up to the gates.

Hopefully I'm wrong and Disney is running the parking lot shuttles. If not, then it is something to keep in mind.
My understanding is that they're not running the trams but the lots are also relatively empty so you're parking pretty close to begin with.

JohnD

My understanding is that they're not running the trams but the lots are also relatively empty so you're parking pretty close to begin with.

They weren't running the trams when I was last there in October. I'll be back there next week. Since I live four hours away, I'll be driving to WDW. As an AP holder and having been back to WDW enough times, I know my way around and have gotten more comfortable driving to the parks. I'll be doing that most days and will see if its still the case that trams aren't running.

Dave B

Most Disney rooms aren't over-the-top live-in-a-cartoon theming like the Cars AoA rooms, but I would still consider most of the resorts and rooms themed in that the rooms have finishes and furnishings that tie into the resort.

With the current lack of FP, demise of Magical Express (as we currently know it), increasing prices, and other reasons, many people are looking more to offsite resorts vs. onsite. It's certainly cheaper and makes sense for a lot of people.

However, some resorts still offer intangibles that you can't get elsewhere. Many of the Disney hotels have a certain feel when you walk in the door - the grand lobby at Wilderness Lodge, the lawn by the lake at Grand Floridian, etc. There is no substitute for opening your balcony door and seeing animals on the savannah at Animal Kingdom Lodge. There are no/few offsite hotels where you can view the castle or other park landmark and watch fireworks from your room/the beach/the boardwalk. You can't walk to a park or grab the monorail or Skyliner from any offsite hotels. Different things have different value to different people.
No more Fireworks from the room

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is the correct answer. Wyndham Bonnet Creek is the best value accommodations in the area, it's still in the bubble, and they have many diverse room types that are perfect for 1) large parties, 2) normal-sized parties with a large number of adults, or 3) families who need to space out from each other to get a good night's sleep.

I'll also add, people like to mock the "magic" aspect of the highly-themed Disney resorts (which are AKL, WL, Poly, and FW in my opinion), but there's absolutely a sense of "wow, this is incredible" when you walk into the Jambo lobby or drive around Fort Wilderness in a golf cart at night. You will absolutely *not* get that at Wyndham Bonnet Creek.

I couldn’t agree with this more.

The problem - and Disney on property types won’t hear of it - is that those “wow” places haven’t been built for 20+ years and the current management has been actively trying to strip it out over time. That’s the bobs for you...as they’ve increased the prices.

The old wildness lodge rooms were kinda corny...but you loved it. So they then strip half and put in what looks like a slightly themed Marriott...and it feels that way in your room as you trudge in and out each day. 1994 lobby covering for bad 2018 rooms.

And the current trend tends to be the “character fake”. Currently going on at the poly. Put in a Marriott room with tile floors and throw a Moana bedspread on top.

Magic, baby 👍🏻

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I couldn’t agree with this more.

The problem - and Disney on property types won’t hear of it - is that those “wow” places haven’t been built for 20+ years and the current management has been actively trying to strip it out over time. That’s the bobs for you...as they’ve increased the prices.

The old wildness lodge rooms were kinda corny...but you loved it. So they then strip half and put in what looks like a slightly themed Marriott...and it feels that way in your room as you trudge in and out each day. 1994 lobby covering for bad 2018 rooms.

And the current trend tends to be the “character fake”. Currently going on at the poly. Put in a Marriott room with tile floors and throw a Moana bedspread on top.

Magic, baby 👍🏻
If you ever want to be depressed, remember: It costs more for a "tower studio" at Disney's Riviera Resort, WHICH DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A REAL BED, than it does for a standard room at Aulani.

I'll say, I actually like most of the recent room refurbishments. A lot of the older styles were just too cheesy, dark, and dated quickly. I think "modern, clean, bright rooms with highly themed lobbies and common areas" is the right mix.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I'll say, I actually like most of the recent room refurbishments. A lot of the older styles were just too cheesy, dark, and dated quickly. I think "modern, clean, bright rooms with highly themed lobbies and common areas" is the right mix.
dated though was part of the concept. You can’t do a 1920s Boardwalk hotel theme without the rooms feeing dated. Or a 1960s Caribbean beach. Or a 1880s alligator bayou. Your options are to have the rooms dated or subvert the theming so badly that there’s nothing left.

I’m sure whoever designed the current Yacht Club rooms would say they are highly themed. But if you put that room in a hotel in downtown Austin Texas no one would bat an eye.

Themed, dated, and tacky:
F5F803A9-601A-40E5-99B3-D42E4D773F2F.jpeg

Modern, pleasant, and could be any random Lowe’s hotel:
67B95259-2123-403A-A3D8-BCAFE983F19F.jpeg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If you ever want to be depressed, remember: It costs more for a "tower studio" at Disney's Riviera Resort, WHICH DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A REAL BED, than it does for a standard room at Aulani.

I’m on record as saying that putting a DVC on a moderate was a terrible idea...

Because neither the consumers nor Disney would be able to control themselves and things would go down hill.

Was I wrong, @Rteetz?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
dated though was part of the concept. You can’t do a 1920s Boardwalk hotel theme without the rooms feeing dated. Or a 1960s Caribbean beach. Or a 1880s alligator bayou. Your options are to have the rooms dated or subvert the theming so badly that there’s nothing left.

I’m sure whoever designed the current Yacht Club rooms would say they are highly themed. But if you put that room in a hotel in downtown Austin Texas no one would bat an eye.

Themed, dated, and tacky:
View attachment 534982

Modern, pleasant, and could be any random Lowe’s hotel:
View attachment 534985
Yes, I'm saying I think the first picture is extremely ugly and I'm much happier with the latter. The first picture doesn't look like 1920s Boardwalk, it looks like 1990s Florida Kitsch.

It's also kind of a bad example because the first picture is already after they switched to the white bed linens.

1614187294275.png

aliceismad

I think there is a definite difference between being "dated" and being cohesive with a certain place and time period. I'm ok with the rooms being renovated so long as they align with the architectural style. I'm sure each of the renovations will have fans and non-fans. If you feel like the room renovations are watering down the theming or diluting the magic or appeal of staying there, then certainly there is no reason to pay a premium to stay on site vs the comparable rooms offsite. Personally I still feel the appeal, but I understand that many dislike where Disney is going with things.

alpha0meqa

I'm trying to put some information together and I'm really curious....If I were to make a thread asking how much people spend-ish on their WDW vacation, would that be considered rude? I'd love to know peoples budgets.....Hope that's not nosey.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm trying to put some information together and I'm really curious....If I were to make a thread asking how much people spend-ish on their WDW vacation, would that be considered rude? I'd love to know peoples budgets.....Hope that's not nosey.

It wouldn’t be rude at all...but I think it needs to be on a “planning” or “budget”
Sub forum.

You’ll get your info...but there are a lot of factors. For instance: at least 25% of on property rooms are timeshare blocks...and that has also spawned a secondary market that throws things off...its hard to find your “apples” comparisons at times.

Good luck.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think any new DVC resort would have struggled if not directly connected to a park.

But that was portrayed as being such...remember?

And besides...bland build, too expensive, point chart wrong. The die was cast from day 1. If the place had a “moderate” price...as was proper...there’d be a line down the block.

It might change when they build that canal though 😉

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
But that was portrayed as being such...remember?

And besides...bland build, too expensive, point chart wrong. The die was cast from day 1. If the place had a “moderate” price...as was proper...there’d be a line down the block.

It might change when they build that canal though 😉
It’s nice! But other than that they’re insane. The day after it sells out it will be $10 a night more than Old Key West for cash bookings. And then the “savings” on it will be negative.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s nice! But other than that they’re insane. The day after it sells out it will be $10 a night more than Old Key West for cash bookings. And then the “savings” on it will be negative.

I’ve heard “nice but bland”

And from what I’ve seen from the outside...it fits that assessment. Hear the restaurant is good though

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom