Why only include Six Flags in comparisons?

Silver Figment

I've always been curious about Hersheypark. What is that like? I almost went last summer. I check the map out and it is flooded with rollercoasters by the looks of it, which is fine with me because I have been to Cedar Point and King's Island in the last couple years. But what seperates Hersheypark from the others?

It's pretty enjoyable. They have some coasters and other rides. What I like best though is the onmimover ride where they give you free candy at the end. It's tells you about the process of making chocolate. It's free so it's something my family attempts to make a stop for on our way down to WDW.

Cmdr_Crimson

If many recall that during the Time Warner Era of Six Flags They were trying to compete heavily that the parks are BIGGER Than Disneyland and Whole Lot Closer. As shown here in this commercial from my Hometown Park and advertisement.

COMICAD_six_flags.jpg

Last edited:

Wikkler

I would guess more people are closer to a theme park owned by Six Flags than they are parks owned by Busch Gardens or any other company. As a result, those comparisons are, in a way, a justification for traveling hundreds or thousands of miles, across the country or from overseas, to go to WDW versus a drive to your local park. I for one, live within 30mins of a Six Flags (Great Adventure) and I honestly can't remember the last time I've gone, the last few experiences were so awful, and the prices so obnoxious (even in comparison to WDW). I know since my last visit they've made more efforts to be family friendly, cut down on local gang problems and beefing up security, but I've still not felt the need to see if it's gotten any better, and friends of mine that do go seem to indicate I'm not missing much. If I did go, it'd probably take a day off of work and go in the first half of June, when it's open every day but most local schools are still in session.
I am probably in the minority here, being closer to a Busch Gardens than a Six Flags. But I'm just a bit closer to a Cedar Fair so :cyclops:

Last edited:

Wikkler

We can compare Disney to Hershey Park!

The whole town is themed to Hershey, and they have a cute 3D show with smells, and that chocolate making ride thats omimover

and they have shows
I've always been curious about Hersheypark. What is that like? I almost went last summer. I check the map out and it is flooded with rollercoasters by the looks of it, which is fine with me because I have been to Cedar Point and King's Island in the last couple years. But what seperates Hersheypark from the others?
I am just going to get this straight. HERSHEYPARK has a bunch of coasters and is almost like a Six Flags, and just name-checks the brands. HERSHEY'S CHOCOLATE WORLD is the one that actually tries to have class, with its chocolate omnimover and 4d show. They are owned by separate jurisdictions and they both cost money. No you cannot get a pass to both. Get the pass to Chocolate World if you are looking for a Busch Gardens or Universal instead of a Six Flags or Cedar Fair.
Here are their websites: Hersheypark, Chocolate World

Last edited:

brb1006

I would guess more people are closer to a theme park owned by Six Flags than they are parks owned by Busch Gardens or any other company. As a result, those comparisons are, in a way, a justification for traveling hundreds or thousands of miles, across the country or from overseas, to go to WDW versus a drive to your local park. I for one, live within 30mins of a Six Flags (Great Adventure) and I honestly can't remember the last time I've gone, the last few experiences were so awful, and the prices so obnoxious (even in comparison to WDW). I know since my last visit they've made more efforts to be family friendly, cut down on local gang problems and beefing up security, but I've still not felt the need to see if it's gotten any better, and friends of mine that do go seem to indicate I'm not missing much. If I did go, it'd probably take a day off of work and go in the first half of June, when it's open every day but most local schools are still in session.
I remember in the early 2000's before Mr Six was thought of (sometime in 2001 or 2002) they tried making Six Flags Great Adventure more family friendly by focusing more on the Looney Tunes franchise instead of the thrill rides. I vivdly remember my first trip where they had a Summer parade that featured various Looney Tunes characters including Yakko,Wakko, and Dot from Animanics along with Pinkie and The Brain. I forgot the name of the parade but I remember seeing Granny riding in one car vehicle.

brb1006

Cedar fair is great!

Busch Gardens has great themes

I always have negative experiences with the six flags in jersey, whenever i go there i always complain about how much better Disney is.

all the lines for the rides are outside in the hot sun, no shade, there aren't any shows, they make you pay for everything (you cant take anything on the rides or leave them on the platform you have to buy a two hour locker for every ride.)
you wouldn't even know they had characters because they are rarely out.
The meet and greets with the Looney Tunes characters are usually not scheduled. For one moment you see Bugs Bunny and Daffy then a few minutes later Marvin The Martin and Speedy are meeting at this one area in Great Adventure (Sometimes only one would be meeting)

. I remember they used to wander at one point since I remember seeing Bugs Bunny walking with Lola around the hub area near the gift shop and water fountain.
skyride1.jpg

brb1006

We can compare Disney to Hershey Park!

The whole town is themed to Hershey, and they have a cute 3D show with smells, and that chocolate making ride thats omimover

and they have shows
Even though Sesame Place is geared towards parents with children. I still have fond memories of meeting Ernie and seeing the parade.

brb1006

It has a lot of roller coasters they are fun! they have some roller coasters that are very different from anywhere else even six flags.

They have themed areas the boardwalk area is really cool which is different than cedar point and six flags, they also have like a zoo area, they have a water seal show that was fun

obviously they have really good treats like candy and the candy dresses up like characters,

and then in the Hershey factory part they have this show thats cute its 4D and at the end it smells like chocolate, they have a ride that shows you how they make chocolate, it reminds me of Journey into Imagination, they have a huge candy store where you can get like the freshest candy and products you don't see in the store, you can also make your own candy bar, although we haven't done that.

The town is really cool though the road is painted brown to look like chocolate and the lights are shaped like candy kisses

its a good time [:
I heard it's wonderful during the Christmas season.

21stamps

I heard it's wonderful during the Christmas season.

I noticed that this thread was several years old, but thanks for bumping it! It was a good read. I don't agree with the people comparing a Cedar Fair or Six Flags park as a cheap car, to WDW as a Bentley.

They are both VERY different experiences. We are passholders at Cedar Fair...absolutely love it!!!! Love WDW as well, but not for the same reasons.

brb1006

If many recall that during the Time Warner Era of Six Flags They were trying to compete heavily that the parks are BIGGER Than Disneyland and Whole Lot Closer. As shown here in this commercial from my Hometown Park and advertisement.

COMICAD_six_flags.jpg

Reminds me of the Sega Vs Nintendo commercial

Cmdr_Crimson

Reminds me of the Sega Vs Nintendo commercial

Again around the 90's The Time Warner Era was still the reason they were trying to compete against Disney...

And to add insult to Injury they Smack Disney & Universal in the face for their new (And very mediocre) Simulator ride in 1994 at Six Flags Great America.

Wonder how that ride is doing now......
NPNGrave%2B%252810%2529.JPG

Oooohh...Dear.....

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The reason's for the comparisons are why people will compare store brand cola to coca-cola.

Something just isn't "right", and yet a lot of people will buy it to save some sheckles. "It's just cola, right?"

That said...the route Disney has taken the past few years, they aren't quite store brand, but they aren't top shelf anymore either. Universal has changed their formula, and it's working.

Disney needs to step up their game.

21stamps

Again around the 90's The Time Warner Era was still the reason they were trying to compete against Disney...

And to add insult to Injury they Smack Disney & Universal in the face for their new (And very mediocre) Simulator ride in 1994 at Six Flags Great America.

Wonder how that ride is doing now......
NPNGrave%2B%252810%2529.JPG

Oooohh...Dear.....

I guess these photos are why I love parks so much.. Summer and amusement parks go hand in hand for me. :)

Each experience, WDW or Amusement park is mutually exclusive. I could never choose between them, my child is filled with joy at either place :) I do choose Cedar Fair over Six Flags though, mainly because it's close.lol
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

@lebeau Do you find them in competition, or enjoy for what each is? I know we have our own disagreements of "value" of the 2. ;)

Last edited:

21stamps

You can't find these at Disney, and I don't want to. We're just as excited to find out "what's in the shed" as we are to meet Kylo Ren at HS. I can't honestly say that one tops the other, only that both are mandatory. :)

Last edited:

TXDisney

I don't like the comparison of six flags bc there's 18 of them in the USA. That's not apples to apples. I like comparing WDW and universal myself.

steviej

six flags cannot be compared to WDW in any sense, ever, on any topic.

Sorry if this comes off nose in the air-ish, but all my friends and I call six flags, ghetto disney.

(note, we only know great adventure in NJ)

Cmdr_Crimson

Each experience, WDW or Amusement park is mutually exclusive. I could never choose between them, my child is filled with joy at either place :) I do choose Cedar Fair over Six Flags though, mainly because it's close.

Well, for service and quality being upkept for past 5 years...Thank Matt Ouimet..He's the CEO of Cedar Fair and Worked with The Walt Disney Company for 17 years....He knows how to keep the parks running...

Also...My hometown park has a tendency to......Streeeetch..the Truth about somethings like this sign example...;)
SFGAM-4-10-2009-1.jpg

I honestly don't even Believe a thing about it...This park gets nasty looking after a day and those bathrooms are horrid! I've gone to Disney seeing places spotless for several hours and it still looked cleaner than a SF park....The sad part is...They still are "Claiming" This fame....Just so they can cover up the 38 Osha fines that kicked them to the curb....:eek:http://prev.dailyherald.com/story/?id=34947

21stamps

six flags cannot be compared to WDW in any sense, ever, on any topic.

Sorry if this comes off nose in the air-ish, but all my friends and I call six flags, ghetto disney.

(note, we only know great adventure in NJ)

I haven't been to Great Adventure. I just don't get the comparisons. Or where "ghetto" would even come in to play. Our park is super clean, great rides, tons of fun, super friendly and wonderful employees. I don't sit and compare Disney while I'm on a thrill ride, they aren't similar in any way with those kind of attractions. I guess what I'm asking is, so when you're not at Disney World, you can't be happy and appreciate what is offered at another park? Does it have to be a comparison?

Well, for service and quality being upkept for past 5 years...Thank Matt Ouimet..He's the CEO of Cedar Fair and Worked with The Walt Disney Company for 17 years....He knows how to keep the parks running...

Also...My hometown park has a tendency to......Streeeetch..the Truth about somethings like this sign example...;)
SFGAM-4-10-2009-1.jpg

I honestly don't even Believe a thing about it...This park gets nasty looking after a day and those bathrooms are horrid! I've gone to Disney seeing places spotless for several hours and it still looked cleaner than a SF park....The sad part is...They still are "Claiming" This fame....Just so they can cover up the 38 Osha fines that kicked them to the curb....:eek:http://prev.dailyherald.com/story/?id=34947

Matt Ouimet is doing great things with Cedar Fair parks!!! They've continued to add incredible record breaking coasters, and now Winterfest is returning!!! To be fair though, I don't ever remember either Cedar Point or Kings Island not being clean, and have always had great attractions. I remember going to Cincinnati to visit when KI was owned by Paramount Pictures, they had a few great rides then that are now sadly gone.

As for your "home park" Vertical Velocity has always been on my to do list!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom