Why on earth are strollers so expensive to rent?

kangaand2roos

Original Poster
I have a 4 year old and a 6 year old and had planned on bringing our small stroller for my 4 year old since we know there's alot of walking in Disney. Well our stroller was destroyed last week when our basement flooded in the RI rainstorms/floods. I don't really see the point of buying a new stroller since we don't really use one at home so I figured we'd just rent one but at $13 a day that seems pretty pricey. Should I just buy a cheap stroller? Why are the strollers so much to rent?
And just as a side note, not that I need one, but I can't figure out why any one would get a double stroller since it's $27 a day, so you'd actually save $1 a day getting 2 singles.

mastif

I have a 4 year old and a 6 year old and had planned on bringing our small stroller for my 4 year old since we know there's alot of walking in Disney. Well our stroller was destroyed last week when our basement flooded in the RI rainstorms/floods. I don't really see the point of buying a new stroller since we don't really use one at home so I figured we'd just rent one but at $13 a day that seems pretty pricey. Should I just buy a cheap stroller? Why are the strollers so much to rent?
And just as a side note, not that I need one, but I can't figure out why any one would get a double stroller since it's $27 a day, so you'd actually save $1 a day getting 2 singles.

It's disney and if you have kids (which a lot of people visiting disney do) then you'll need a stroller. A lot of families fly in, so they may not have room for the stroller and rather rent one. Probably one of those things people think "lets leave the stroller here, we don't have room. we'll just rent one in disney" get there and find out it's gonna cost them $100+ to rent a stroller for a week.
Kinda just like the paying to park. You just spent $300+ to get your family in the park for ONE day, and now they want u to spend $11 (i forget) to park, for ONE day.
As long as people pay for it, disney will keep it coming.:p

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Strollers the size of Nimitz-class carriers are expensive to build and maintain?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The $13 per day for a single stroller rental it on par with other theme parks. Sea World charges $13.15 and US charges $12. In a nut shell they are priced at what the market will bear. The rental fee for double strollers is however quite high. It was raised quite drastically about a year ago. Rumor was that they were trying to get people to stop renting the doubles as their size becomes a big issue.

With two kids your best bet is to pick up a couple of inexpensive umbrella strollers before your trip. Disney does have a pretty good umbrella stroller (far better than the $15-$20 ones at Wal-Mart) for sale on property for about $40.

glee

$13 a day is expensive :cry: :eek: Id buy a cheap one if i were you. Thats what my cousin does. If you bring one yourself they are less bulky as well :animwink:

kangaand2roos

Original Poster
$13 for a day for a week, that's $91. When you can get decent quality strollers new for under that in most stores, I think it's a bit pricey but maybe I'm just cheap :shrug:

Figment632

$13 a day is expensive :cry: :eek: Id buy a cheap one if i were you. Thats what my cousin does. If you bring one yourself they are less bulky as well :animwink:

I would like to see the price increased to 30 then maybe there would be less strollers in the park :lookaroun

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I would like to see the price increased to 30 then maybe there would be less strollers in the park :lookaroun
The only way to reduce the number of strollers in the park would be to reduce the number of kids in the park. Strollers are a necessary evil.

The Mom

Premium Member
I agree with the bring/purchase an umbrella type, especially since your 4 year old is capable of walking around, and will only need it when he/she is tired. Especially at the end of the day, walking/waiting for transportation.

Ghall

My son is 4 years old and doesn't travel in a stroller anymore but there is alot of walking at Disney so I know he would get tired but we don't want to travel with a stroller now. So if I were you I would just buy an umbrella stroller in Walmart for $20 on your first day and then leave it at Disney. This is what I did when my other two kids were small. You could just pass it on to another family with a small child who are checking in as you are leaving. As we stay for 3 weeks it was much cheaper than renting a stroller for our stay at Disney

kap91

I don't know much about them but there are services out there that will rent you a stroller, drop it off at your hotel and let you keep it for the duration of your trip for cheaper than the per day rate at the parks. It might be an alternative to buying one.

ewensell3

You could just pass it on to another family with a small child who are checking in as you are leaving. As we stay for 3 weeks it was much cheaper than renting a stroller for our stay at Disney

Hmmmm... Leave a Stroller (LAS). Use "lost and found" as the exchange point. Tag it with something which LAS "members" could use to claim the stroller. When you're done, just leave it in a room or park to be taken back to the lost+found.

Just a crazy thought. I'm sure lost+found CMs would get wise to the plan rather quick. :)

Edit - And then there would be the eventual abuse of the system where people simply took the strollers as their own. Ahwell. That ended quick. :)

glee

Awr,poor kiddies! :ROFLOL:

I get annoyed with people in electronic wheelchairs. Im fine with those people who need them its just when they BEEP you it really angers me :ROFLOL:

Master Gracey 5

I had three younger siblings by when we first started going regularly - I was only 8 but it was either walk the park or stay in the room. Needless to say, I learned how to walk around the parks.

maggiegrace1

I know it was a joke.
Like I have told you before I believe...SMILIES are your friend..especially when they show people you are joking..playing around with them.

That way people would know you are joking or whatever and you would not get all frustrated :brick: and have to explain yourself...:shrug:

Now stop being a big baby and use the smilies..jeez!!!!!!!!!!!:brick::hammer::mad:

:p;)

*see what I did there*

;):D:lol:

Figment632

Like I have told you before I believe...SMILIES are your friend..especially when they show people you are joking..playing around with them.

That way people would know you are joking or whatever and you would not get all frustrated :brick: and have to explain yourself...:shrug:

Now stop being a big baby and use the smilies..jeez!!!!!!!!!!

*see what I did there*

;):D:lol:

I hate them :D:D:D:D
free-smile-300x299.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom