Why not remove Cinderella's Castle

Cmdr_Crimson

get-out-leave.gif

DisneyHead123

I think there are two separate issues here.

One is the idea of change / speaking to a new generation vs. preservation of the past. I think that can be a really difficult needle to thread. My neurodivergent son who hates most rides might actually go on a Cars ride. Kids who don’t care about cowboys might light up at the sight of a Cars track. Disney himself said the parks are not museums. There is value in changing to reach new people. And yet - I think we all instinctively understand the value of historical preservation. If the riverboat was an old church in a small town with even 10% of the interest and affection that people feel for the Disney riverboat, it would be designated a historical site and preserved. Nobody wants to see capitalism go unchecked to the point where we flatten colonial Williamsburg to put in strip malls because those will pull more profit. I think there are clearly two sides there and it’s a really difficult balance.

The second issue is easier - does Disney have the resources to do this right? In terms of money, people, time, whatever. If the answer to that question is “no”, then this simply shouldn’t happen. If Frontierland is eventually replaced with a thematically coherent and wonderful but very different land, I think the merit of that is debatable. If it’s replaced with something that is… um… not… those things, then history has been demolished for nothing, and that would be heartbreaking.

tomast

If we’re planning on any castle removals, let’s kick things off with Beast’s castle and build a new one at full scale—or even a quarter scale. Just to be clear, when we say quarter scale, we mean castle-sized, not quarter coin-sized!

We can go ahead and give Prince Eric's castle a good refresh, and ditch the awful ride inside. I’m pretty sure Disney could come up with an incredible dark ride using that amazing Ursula animatronic—let's give her the spotlight she deserves!

JIMINYCR

This has to be the most ludicrous idea ever put forward on this site. Cinderella Castle, the most popular and most photographed building in WDW. Among one of the most photographed things in the world. Cinderella Castle, the site every first guest and return guest look forward to viewing once they enter MK and walk up Main Street. Walt wanted the “weenie” in place to draw guests into the park and set up their days enjoyment. It showcases the stage shows and is the spot guests enjoy to use as the back drop for fireworks. THE icon that Disney uses to promote their brand and parks.
Surely this idea was put forward in jest.

Disstevefan1

With the removal of Tom Sawyer island, Splash Mountain, the Rivers of America, and the (beautiful) Lilly Belle, let's go all out and remove Cinderella's Castle. Think about it, it's taking up precious space where we could bout up a new coaster !!!
They would NEVER get rid of the castle............. They may retheme it maybe ;)
AcolyteCastle.jpg

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

You guys don't really think that the OP meant that in anyway other than sarcasm do you? Please say you don't!
I used to count on the average person having common sense and using rational thinking. Looking at the world now and what people put forward as serious ideas that baffle the mind…. anything is possible. Even removal of the Castle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom