Why is there no sweet tea at Disney??

Boo's Mom

Well when I make tea, its not sweetened tea, its sweet tea. I fill the tea maker with water, place the tea bags in the tea bag holder at the top, fill the pitcher up to the 3 quart line with water, pour in anywhere from 2-3 cups of sugar (depending on if I'm on a sugar fix or not) then let it brew, stir it up when its done, fill a glass with ice, pour the tea in and drink :slurp: ..I made a killin off of sweet tea and sweet kool-aid while in middle and high school. I had the best sweet tea and kool-aid in school :lol: people I didn't know wanted some of my tea or kool-aid :D

man, it really is crazy to see so many people unfamiliar with sweet tea. its weird to think about how some things that seem so common to you are really regional. anyone in the carolinas knows where to go for the best sweet tea. bojangles! for anyone who doesnt know bojangles, its an AMAZING fast food place. basically a very VERY good version of popeyes or KFC. man, i could go for a chicken biscuit right now.

TurboCaroline

Is it 5:00 yet?
Original Poster
You know who has the best sweet tea down here??? Los Tres Amigo's mexican restaurant....I think they use Leroy Hill brand tea...They know how to make it just right...Had it last night as a matter of fact.
:slurp:

Ringo8n24

ksccar said:
You know who has the best sweet tea down here??? Los Tres Amigo's mexican restaurant....I think they use Leroy Hill brand tea...They know how to make it just right...Had it last night as a matter of fact.
:slurp:

Really? I will have to try it. I always get beer there.

MissM

Almost every resturant - including major chains - have your choice of fresh brewed sweetened or unsweetened iced tea here (Tampa Bay Metro Area). You can get it at Chilli's, or Ruby Tuesdays, Cracker Barrel, Perkins, Outback, etc. A lot of places also have one or more various sweetned flavored iced teas like raspberry or peach. It's utterly unheard of not to have tea as an option. Even places that don't serve any fresh brewed teas - such as fast food resturants - almost always have something like Lipton Brisk or Raspberry Tea.

Sweetened ice tea is just tea that's cold brewed, and like others said, the sugar is added during the brewing process to keep from getting granalized sugar in your tea. It's served with more ice just like any fountain soft drink.

If you drink soda, I can't fathom why sweetened tea is such a big stretch. Often times it's nicer then drinking a soda since it's not so syrupy. (But if you're like me, then you gulp down a glass, you've got to run to the lady's room! *laughs* It makes you p e e faster then soda in my experience.)
"p e e" is a naughty word? *chuckles*

All the groccery stores sell fresh brewed iced tea in sweetened and unsweetened by the single serve or by the gallon. You can get it at every Publix deli for example along with their lemondade.

While it's true that it's more common in the southern us (not just "the South" since Florida, despite it's geographic location is not part of "the South"; we're all transplants from up north or Canada keep in mind!), it's not unheard of in the rest of the country. We used to drink sweetened ice tea in PA and my mom had it in New York too growing up in the summers.

I would assume WDW doesn't have it since it's not an easy fountain mix. (Except for things like the Lipton Brisk which is kinda gross.) Some of the sit down resturants might offer it but I can't say for certain.
-m

alexis_fate

We took my daughter who was 6 at the time to WDW in Aug of last year and she hates coke, she chose to drink water because they had no sweet tea.

diddy_mouse

having lived in the South almost my whole live i can say that there is no type of tea except sweet! :D i was shocked the first time i heard that i had a choice. i do agre with what was said in a previous post about the best tea being from Bojangles Chicken n Biscuits. thats some mighty fine tea!

however, sweet tea and WDW don't seem to go together for me. i'm always leaning more towards soda or water when i'm down there (and the occasional margarita :lookaroun )

Woody13

Master Yoda said:
Sweet tea is definitely a southern thing however Florida kind of has its compass reversed when it comes to southern culture. The farther north you go the more southern you get. If you want to see a real site go to Fernandina Beach. At Fernandina you have guys that wear flannel shirts with board shorts, there name is Brad but they dive big Bubba trucks and say things like bitchen yall.

That's a great explanation Master Yoda! Heck, the panhandle of Florida is really just an annex of Alabama while most of the people in Miami are from New York and Cuba.

Disneyland1970 said:
Well the couple of sips of sweet tea I have had are way sweeter than any cola\soft drink I have ever had!

Excellent point! Sweet Tea is distinct because the sugar is added when the tea is boiled. It has to be done that way because of the HUGE amount of sugar that is used. Otherwise, you couldn't dissolve the copious amounts of sugar used into the water. Of course, it is served cold with ice.

MissM said:
Sweetened ice tea is just tea that's cold brewed, and like others said, the sugar is added during the brewing process to keep from getting granalized sugar in your tea.

Sweetened ice tea has nothing in common with Sweet Tea! They are 2 very different animals.:wave:

tigsmom

MissM said:
Almost every resturant - including major chains - have your choice of fresh brewed sweetened or unsweetened iced tea here (Tampa Bay Metro Area). You can get it at Chilli's, or Ruby Tuesdays, Cracker Barrel, Perkins, Outback, etc. A lot of places also have one or more various sweetned flavored iced teas like raspberry or peach. It's utterly unheard of not to have tea as an option. Even places that don't serve any fresh brewed teas - such as fast food resturants - almost always have something like Lipton Brisk or Raspberry Tea.

Sweetened ice tea is just tea that's cold brewed, and like others said, the sugar is added during the brewing process to keep from getting granalized sugar in your tea. It's served with more ice just like any fountain soft drink.

We seem to be having a problem with terminology. (and this is not directed at you, but its the last post I read)

Sweetened Tea is brewed iced tea that has some sugar added (about a teaspoon to an 8 ounce glass).

Un Sweetened Tea is brewed tea that has no sugar added. Good for diabetics (or others) to add artificial sweetner to or to drink as is.

Sweet Tea is brewed tea that has a VERY large amount of sugar added (often cups full) or is made with a simple sugar syrup.

Its the Sweet Tea that is regional to the South it seems. Its quite a shock to the system even for those who drink their tea sweetened.

Kadee

This thread is hillarious!!!! The last time we went to WDW, we had to go off property (Heaven forbid) for dinner one night because my husband was having Sweet Tea withdrawals!!!! I thought he was going to kiss the waitress at Outback when she said they had real sweet tea. I love sweet tea, but I have to dilute it. I can not handle that much sugar. I have to add it when it is being made, not after. That is very bad! You just end up with a pile of sugar at the bottom. So I get a glass of sweet tea and a glass of ice water and mix the two together. Tea is much more refreshing than Coke and doesn't sit in your stomach like a rock like Coke does.

Boo's Mom

tigsmom said:
We seem to be having a problem with terminology. (and this is not directed at you, but its the last post I read)

Sweetened Tea is brewed iced tea that has some sugar added (about a teaspoon to an 8 ounce glass).

Un Sweetened Tea is brewed tea that has no sugar added. Good for diabetics (or others) to add artificial sweetner to or to drink as is.

Sweet Tea is brewed tea that has a VERY large amount of sugar added (often cups full) or is made with a simple sugar syrup.

Its the Sweet Tea that is regional to the South it seems. Its quite a shock to the system even for those who drink their tea sweetened.

Well I guess my tea would fit under the catagory of "sweet tea". I add a large amount of sugar when I brew it.....so much in fact that you can taste the sugar with every sip..and it makes the tea three shades lighter than without the sugar.......... :lookaroun

MissM

tigsmom said:
Hrm. I've honestly never heard of "sweet" versus "sweetned." *chuckles* Ever. Just "unsweetned" or "sweetened."

Strangeness I guess! ;)
-m

Woody13

MissM said:
Hrm. I've honestly never heard of "sweet" versus "sweetned." *chuckles* Ever. Just "unsweetned" or "sweetened."

Strangeness I guess! ;)
-m

Naw, it's just that you are not from the deep south, you're from Tampa! No one would reasonably expect you to know about Sweet Tea. Do you remember the "Banjo Boy" from the Burt Reynolds film "Deliverance"? Now there's a guy who knows all about Sweet Tea.:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom