why is their no monorail, going to hollywood studios?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Monorails just do not meet the exacting themeing required for the studios.

Something about a conflict with a futuristic monorail and 1930's Hollywood/a giant hat/a giant Fender Stratocaster/grave of Golden Girls house.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I won't go on about a giant cartoon hat fitting 1930s Hollywood, but had things gone to plan the monorail would have been running to DMGM by the late 90s. The route was secured and plans finalised. The monorail route would barely have impeded on any art deco area of the studios. No more than Tarmac parking lots and a bus fleet anyway.

As mentioned above, it was cost. Sadly.

CP_alum08

Am I the only one who likes that the monorail only runs between MK and EPCOT? Riding the monorail still seems very reminiscent of the 70s/80s to me and I think expanding it would ruin that feeling. Honestly, I don't understand why people want it expanded so badly...just another thing people complain about that I don't understand I guess.

Cmdr_Crimson

I won't go on about a giant cartoon hat fitting 1930s Hollywood, but had things gone to plan the monorail would have been running to DMGM by the late 90s. The route was secured and plans finalised. The monorail route would barely have impeded on any art deco area of the studios. No more than Tarmac parking lots and a bus fleet anyway.

As mentioned above, it was cost. Sadly.

I would've loved to have seen the Themed stations of AK & The Studios they would've look pretty impressive.

danstadnik

Slightly OT, but I had a roughly 10 year gap in trips to WDW (HS Senior year to being a young Dad) and we had our first trip with our daughter booked with a consultant - we stayed at A.S.Music and did Magical Express - I didn't really do much research prior to the trip, and so for some reason I just assumed that once you got to a Disney property hotel, there would be monorails EVERYWHERE!

In high school, I got to go to WDW a few times with band trips and such, we always stayed off property, and we would get bored while at the MK (I'm embarassed to say that now!)so we'd catch the monorail and ride over to the Contemp or whatever and walk around -so as a Dad I just thought there would be monorail transport to ALL the on-site resorts!

Boy, was I EVER disappointed! But I did get over it!

BrittanyRose428

There* is no monorail going to those parks because of what others have already mentioned unfortunately. The buses are fine with me though for AK and HS.

rob0519

I can understand the prohibitive cost of extending the monorail to DHS and AK, but can someone tell me the history of why there is no monorail stop in the World Showcase? The walk from the front of the park is quite lengthy and the track runs right through it anyway.

Magenta Panther

I can understand the prohibitive cost of extending the monorail to DHS and AK, but can someone tell me the history of why there is no monorail stop in the World Showcase? The walk from the front of the park is quite lengthy and the track runs right through it anyway.

Very good point. That walk can KILL your feet. I prefer the Showcase to anything else in EPCOT, and I'd love it if the monorail stopped there.

captainkidd

My guess is that it would slow monorail operations down CONSIDERABLY. As is, the wait for a monorail from the TTC to Epcot can be long. Add in another stop, it's just that much worse.

PhilharMagician

Thankfully it did not happen. While the sound of a monorail traversing all over WDW sounds really cool and fututistic, the transit times would be insane. To get to DHS and AK you would have to get a monorail at the Epcot hub. A trip from the Poly to DHS would mean 3 separate trains and a long trip. I have had over an hour trip between the CR and Epcot by catching it while trains ar changing tracks. :hammer: Buses are not the coolest type of transportation, but they are definately flexible and fast.

gaga4disney

while monorail service to all the parks would be ideal, the current layout of the system wouldn't allow for efficiency. as others have mentioned it would require transfers and that would cause significant timing issues. ideally they would need a central station with routes to each park maybe some resorts along the way. the current location of TTC is not centralized relative to all four parks so they would need to build a new one. that's where cost becomes an issue. money better spent on perfecting the bus transportation system which is in desperate need of more efficient planning and routing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom