why is their no monorail, going to hollywood studios?

Mad Stitch

Slightly OT, but I had a roughly 10 year gap in trips to WDW (HS Senior year to being a young Dad) and we had our first trip with our daughter booked with a consultant - we stayed at A.S.Music and did Magical Express - I didn't really do much research prior to the trip, and so for some reason I just assumed that once you got to a Disney property hotel, there would be monorails EVERYWHERE!

In high school, I got to go to WDW a few times with band trips and such, we always stayed off property, and we would get bored while at the MK (I'm embarassed to say that now!)so we'd catch the monorail and ride over to the Contemp or whatever and walk around -so as a Dad I just thought there would be monorail transport to ALL the on-site resorts!

Boy, was I EVER disappointed! But I did get over it!

You’re not the only one. I worked on the parking trams outside of the Studios and would get questions all the time from guests leaving the park asking where they board the Monorail at.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The MGM loop would have come directly off the Epcot loop, Using the same single epcot platform, with trains possibly stopping at Epcot and then DHS, or with direct TTC to DHS trains in between.

There was also the issue of 2 resort stops. Possibly adding another every-other-train being a resort and not express train.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Have you got a link / map / plans / pencil sketch of the proposed loop?
Certainly have!

Disney_MGM_Monorail_spur_1986.jpg

dman1373

Original Poster
i get that they wont extend the epcot monorail to dhs. But why cant they just make another line to transportation center straight to dhs. It would take almost the same length of time as the monorail going to epcot does.

c-one

Love that idea, Martin, but I sense there'd have been some logistical issues -- especially if there were resort and express trains running on the same track.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Love that idea, Martin, but I sense there'd have been some logistical issues -- especially if there were resort and express trains running on the same track.

My guess is they would have to install a switch system to where the EPCOT train from MK could bypass the loop to the resorts and DHS.

riverscu0m0

I've also wondered this aswell, but for the people talking about the world showcase to the front of the park walk. (Which is like walking into/through mordor when it's the summer, and everyone knows that one does not simply walk into mordor!) I just discovered that in, I think Germany or Norway there is a little ferry that will take you to Mexico and just keeps doing the same thing back and forth bringing you from the beginning of WS to the middle of WS! Also, if you go to Epcot simply for world showcase you should go to the boardwalk and park there and then walk in from the BW (You go past the ESPN bar and just walk over the bridge and turn the the right to Epcot instead of the left to Y&B) It starts in the UK, and you just have to go over another bridge to get to France. It's really simple and beating the crowds is so much easier leaving from there! However, we've never walked there from the BW without being a BW guest so I'm not sure if they charge or anything. It might be worth it though, haha!

c-one

My guess is they would have to install a switch system to where the EPCOT train from MK could bypass the loop to the resorts and DHS.

This is true. It could work if it multiple lines shared the same tracks, a la most urban subway systems. But that would also be relatively confusing, as anyone who's watched a tourist navigate the New York subway can attest.

Walt Disney1955

I know that I have personally talked to a CM and he said that the reason it isn't in Animal Kingdom (monorail) is because of the animals. They want them to have an authentic environment. There aren't monorails in Africa you know. Not to mention keeping that park free from any outside noise for the guests as well.

As for DHS? I don't know. The best bet is there is far less travel from DHS to Epcot than Epcot to MK. Not to mention those things cost a ton. Remember, WDW has land the size of the city of San Fransisco.

flavious27

does anyone know?

Cost. It is about 3 miles from epcot to dhs, at roughly $100 million per mile, that is $300 million. DHS can get a nice expansion for that price. If anything, disney could add more friendship boats and give gusts a nice experience.

shmmrname

1. Cost
2. Timing

Like all the others have said...

Personally, I think TIMING is much more of the issue than COST, only because it magnifies the challenges (including cost).

Had MGM/DHS been built/planned/opened earlier, I think the argument for a monorail connection would've been much more overwhelmingly strong. It would've been more difficult to justify NOT having the connection. Also, had MGM/DHS been part of the initial plans for WDW, a monorail connection would've been obvious. But with each year passing, I think the argument of shoehorning in a new connection into the old system is much more difficult to argue. It's not impossible - it's just really, really expensive - and the timing for such a venture sucks.

J03Y

cost is without doubt a major cost, but i think the plans were finalized and it was like built or something. i would assume making a monorail system to Animal Kingdom would've been more costly. but yeah, the cost for MGM's monorail was too high is what i know.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom