Why is the Wand.......

head mouse

Epcot Future World used to be about the future and knowledge and technology. The sphere was a good icon of looking forward with a global vision. The problem with the wand is that it turned it into a giant billboard and packaging item. It's the want that really takes it away from being a symbol (which everyone in the world got when it was used in multiple World's Fairs) and turns it into effectively a golf ball. It ruins the shape of it.

And it makes it look smaller.

Well said. :sohappy:

brandon8419

i agree with others that the wand adds that little extra something to epcot and i enjoy it. it looks especially cool at night. i also heard that they were thinking of adding another one to the other side. no idea if that is true or not, but it was just something i had heard

cmatt

i think its WANDerfu...

hang on - havent we had loads of threads on this already :rolleyes: :confused:

...i am sure the is a search button *mutters*

duck_daddy

i think its WANDerfu...

hang on - havent we had loads of threads on this already :rolleyes: :confused:

...i am sure the is a search button *mutters*
There's a search button? There should be a Public Bulletin or something! STOP THE PRESS! "Search Button on WDWMAGIC.COM" "The Search Less Taken"!:lookaroun

donaldfan

Wait, WHAT??? I don't get this line of reasoning at all. Do the castle and Tree of Life need a big Mickey sign next to them to make them more "Disney"? No, of course not, and neither does Spaceship Earth. It's "Disney" because it's at WDW.

I just don't understand this whole "it needs characters to be seen as Disney"??? It used to be that a Disney park stood for a lot more than just characters -- they were just a small part of what made a theme park a Disney park. Now, that seems to be all that people want.

And I'm sorry, but I find that just plain sad.

DITTO

donaldfan

The wand had nothing to do with the story of SSE. Maybe you don't know what it is when you first enter the park, but you should get the idea by the end of the attraction.

Here's my sarcasm for today:
Here's a great idea! Maybe they can replace all the videos in ROE with scenes of Disney animated characters to make it feel more Disney.
:hurl:

Xadllas

Disney touch? Uh huh.. The only thing that wand represents is what I like to call the Epcot Holocaust (which thankfully is over). Spaceship Earth was fine for over 15 years without that stain on it's hip. And plpeters70 you are exactly right.

The wand is one of the worst things Disney has ever done, other then the granite hardscap with the photos on them, or should I say the over grown tombstone when you first walk in to Epcot. Some can say I am a Disney Naturalist but, I guess I just like something done for beauty, not something that looks like a homecoming float. I could have built a better arm in High school art class. This is by far the worst looking thing Disney does at this scale. It looks like a giant cardboard cut out spray painted.:hurl: It was nice for the Millenium, but should be brought down like the Berlin wall.:brick: Now Tapesrty of Nations Parade that is something from the Millenium that should have stayed!:sohappy:

cm1988

The wand is one of the worst things Disney has ever done, other then the granite hardscap with the photos on them, or should I say the over grown tombstone when you first walk in to Epcot...
...should be brought down like the Berlin wall.:brick: ...

As I say on all of these many wand threads...

"Mr. Iger, tear down that wand!"

haveyoumetmark

I just think that the wand mars the aesthetic visage of SSE. It's like a canker. SSE is of portentous design and to say that without the wand it would look scant is an overstatement. I'm not very vocal about it, it's not really something I can change. I don't own SSE, Disney is not public property. If it were objectable, like the government -- then maybe. But it's not, it's private property and no one can really vote, protest, or have their opinion really heard... welcome to a message board, where all unheard opinions are heard :lol:

cooleo

Why does so many people think the wand is a big deal at epcot? I personally think it gives the park a little more character. Without the wand, I think the ball just looks like a giant golf ball. But with the wand, it has a magical disney touch, at least in my opinion.

I guess the question is, am I missing something or what. Why all the fuss?

Thank You!!!! but, THREAD lightly.:lol: :lol:

I stated virtually the exact same thing on another wand thread & was practically chastised by some for having an opinion. I have been to EPCOT numerous times both before & after the wand and feel the same way you do. I would hate to see it without the wand.:cool:

tirian

It's the same reason that Las Vegas is not considered to be true modern art.

There's a point at which the bold and dramatic become kitsch. The wand is way past that point; and in a park like Epcot, it's beyond silly. How the ---- is World Showcase supposed to impress us with a cardboard cutout looming over the park?

Epcot is not supposed to showcase the corporate-created Disney "pixie dust" that exists only to sell merchandise (even the MK wasn't designed for that!). The park is supposed to impress and inspire us with the grandeur of the real world and man's achievements.

Steel-and-cardboard structures are not notable achievements...well, unless Cristo installs them somewhere along with miles of fabric.

Mikester71

Why does so many people think the wand is a big deal at epcot? I personally think it gives the park a little more character. Without the wand, I think the ball just looks like a giant golf ball. But with the wand, it has a magical disney touch, at least in my opinion.

Totally agree 100%. Of course I was never there before the wand so I am basing my judgment solely on pictures and that.

RobotWolf

Some people associate Disney with artistry and achievement. Others think of cartoon characters.

Much like slathering a Filet Mignon with ketchup or thinking that the monolith in Kubrick's "2001" was lacking some much needed racing stripes.

Having said that, however, I can't help but think that Disney didn't bring this on themselves. Walk into any store that carries Disney merchandise. Are they pushing achievements like SSE? Or is it character after character?

While I certainly don't agree with the pro-wand crowd, I don't blame them for viewing Disney this way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom