Why is the Wand.......

ToTBellHop

and you will never find data anywhere about the majority that does not voice their opinions...because they don't voice their opinions. The surveys Disney does conduct w/ the average guest don't usually include baiting questions like "do you think the wand is absolutely horrendous?" My experience has been that it's more along the lines of "what are you looking most forward to today at Epcot?" to which most people will respond something like "IllumiNations" or "Soarin'," not "the hope that the Wand will come crashing down due to a large gust of wind."

The wand is reasonably easy to remove (easier--and cheaper--than, say, Journey into Imagination with Figment), so if there were tons of complaints, it'd be gone. I'm sure Siemens would pay for that if it were a major problem.

goofyfan13

and you will never find data anywhere about the majority that does not voice their opinions...because they don't voice their opinions. The surveys Disney does conduct w/ the average guest don't usually include baiting questions like "do you think the wand is absolutely horrendous?" My experience has been that it's more along the lines of "what are you looking most forward to today at Epcot?" to which most people will respond something like "IllumiNations" or "Soarin'," not "the hope that the Wand will come crashing down due to a large gust of wind."

Right. Looking back at our last few posts I think we're arguing the same point...:lol:

Kadee

Wow! This thread took off pretty fast! I figured it would..... TOO FUNNY! I really don't get what the big deal is. It's a wand! So what? A fact of life is THINGS CHANGE! Some will be to your liking, some you won't care about, others you will hate. THat's life, so get over it and move on. :rolleyes: Life is too short to worry about a wand at Epcot. It truly affects NO ONE'S life one way or another. I happen not to care if it is there or not. Just have fun while you are there, and enjoy it all.:sohappy:

Now...... (in order to sound like a complete hypocrit....) IF THEY WOULD ONLY GET RID OF THAT HORRIBLY UGLY HAT AT MGM. THAT, I HATE! :lol:

jonesenon4

Sorry, I didnt mean to cause a stir, just curios about the wand.
:sohappy: i started a thread on this subject just yesterday looking for positive things about the wand. trust me you didnt cause a stir i got flamed by almost everyone that responded and only a few had any thing to say about the wand . i guess they took all thier frustration out on my thread, your responses were pretty calm.:sohappy:

SnowFire

I like the wand too.
Most people are just happy to be in Walt Disney World on vacation and really couldn't care less.

That's a very good point. I am one that thinks SSE looks better without the wand, but I wouldn't say that I hate it. I'm certainly not going to let it ruin my Disney trip.

JustPlainBill

I remember epcot when it first opened with a virgin Spaceship Earth. Those who refer to it as just a "golfball" without the wand, accurately portray their attitude towards SSE and why those same people don't mind the wand existing. When I appreciate the form and purpose of the world's first and only geodesic sphere it truly saddens me to see the cheap-looking, county fair, carnival type attraction sign hanging over it. SSE is supposed to represent our planet as a space traveler, travelling the cosmos through the ages. I accept that people don't see the world the same way I do, but if you really want to know the reason why those of us who detest the wand the way we do, stop thinking of it as a "golfball" and try seeing it a different way. Think of the full moon as it exists today, as you look up and admire it's beauty. Think of it not as just a hunk of rock thats floating in space. Think of it as a heavenly body that has inspired and influenced earth's inhabitants and tides for eons until today. Imagine in the future when we eventually colonize the moon and when you look up you'll see "Coca-Cola" splayed across the moon's surface in bright lights big enough for all the earth to see. Would it move you to tears? The wand does not add value to Space Ship Earth, Space Ship Earth adds value to the wand, this is why the wand should come down or at least be moved somewhere else, like the parking lot.

Arkansas Goofy

Original Poster
So, you are comparing the wand to the moon? I am sorry, but I just dont get it. The geosphere is still there. It hasnt moved. Its still the same structure. It just has a wand attached to it to make it look more like a disney park than a minature golf course.

plpeters70

It just has a wand attached to it to make it look more like a disney park than a minature golf course.

Wait, WHAT??? I don't get this line of reasoning at all. Do the castle and Tree of Life need a big Mickey sign next to them to make them more "Disney"? No, of course not, and neither does Spaceship Earth. It's "Disney" because it's at WDW.

I just don't understand this whole "it needs characters to be seen as Disney"??? It used to be that a Disney park stood for a lot more than just characters -- they were just a small part of what made a theme park a Disney park. Now, that seems to be all that people want.

And I'm sorry, but I find that just plain sad.

mickster

Okay. The inside information is that the Wand is staying permanently. Must be that most guests are fine with it cuz Disney does respond to major sources of complaint.

It's a fact that few people complain about the wand. It's not my opinion. My opinion is that the Wand is fine. Perhaps you were expecting an exact percentage? I'm sorry to say, Disney does not have a need to conduct surveys about everything to ask if guests like it. For example, there is no need for a "Do you like the Tower of Terror?" survey or a "were the urinals at Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show up to snuff?"

How do you know there isn't a need for Disney to ask questions about those things? In your job at Disney, are you briefed on everything that they consider doing surveys about?

Also, you simply cannot claim that it's a "fact that few people complain". You can state that you rarely observe it personally. But you have no way of knowing what guests might be complaining about when you are not there to see/hear/read it. And something tells me that Disney probably does not call you into meetings to go over guest survey results. Otherwise you would be able to provide percentages. Please don't present something as fact when you have no way of backing it up or stating a legitimate source other than, "guests coming into GR to complain". Unless you and all of your co-workers keep track of all the guest comments, and they are documented somewhere, and you have access to the overall results, then you can't state it as fact.

head mouse

Why does so many people think the wand is a big deal at epcot? I personally think it gives the park a little more character. Without the wand, I think the ball just looks like a giant golf ball. But with the wand, it has a magical disney touch, at least in my opinion.

I guess the question is, am I missing something or what. Why all the fuss?

I'll reply to you the same way I replied to ErickainNJ's post from another thread.

And actually I don't mind the wand either. I am pretty use to seeing it on there now, identifies the park, without it looks like a giant golf ball

Kinda off topic, but since you brought it up...

The wand is tacky. it takes away from the beauty that is SSE. And please don't call it a "giant golf ball" That's so disrespectful. It is a wonderful masterpiece of architectural work. How would you feel if you put your heart, soul, blood, sweat, & tears into something grand and people just called it a giant golf ball.

I feel that EPCOT did not need a sign. SSE IS the sign of EPCOT. People saw the sphere and knew where they were. It is more recognized around the word then the castle.

Apparently even some of Disney didn't like it. they seemed to edit it out of a lot of their planner videos. Or use camera angels to make sure it didn't show.

JustPlainBill

So, you are comparing the wand to the moon? I am sorry, but I just dont get it. The geosphere is still there. It hasnt moved. Its still the same structure. It just has a wand attached to it to make it look more like a disney park than a minature golf course.
You have missed my point entirely, I don't believe I can express it any clearer than I already have, you either see it or you don't. I'll try once more, the Mona Lisa may still be there, even though someone has painted a mustache on it. Some may not see SSE as an engineering marvel of artistic expression as others do.

goofyfan13

:sohappy: i started a thread on this subject just yesterday looking for positive things about the wand. trust me you didnt cause a stir i got flamed by almost everyone that responded and only a few had any thing to say about the wand . i guess they took all thier frustration out on my thread, your responses were pretty calm.:sohappy:

Didn't mean to "flame" you in the other thread if thats how you took it. I tend to talk in a sarcastic tone from time to time. I try to keep it away from the boards, but sometimes I just don't catch myself doing it. :wave:

ToTBellHop

it's still an engineering marvel even with the Wand. The reason Cinderella Castle, the Tree of Life, and all of MGM's icons over the years don't require blatant Disney signs is b/c it's clear what they are. Spaceship Earth is a little too abstract for the average guest and, therefore, comes across as a giant golf ball. You may find that sad, but Disney is in the business to make money, and for every guest that mistakes a Disney park for something not done by Disney (and there are definitely people who do this), Disney loses money in the future. This is the park that now has Nemo and Friends, The Lion King, and soon to be the Three Caballeros in addition to all of the characters in World Showcase. The "stop the Disneyfication of Epcot" boat has sailed.

head mouse

it's still an engineering marvel even with the Wand.

No. It's a slap in the face to the designer. "WOW WHAT A BEAUTIFUL WORK OF ART. HEY LETS PUT A TACKY ARM ON IT AND TURN IT INTO A CARTOON."

Spaceship Earth is a little too abstract for the average guest and, therefore, comes across as a giant golf ball...for every guest that mistakes a Disney park for something not done by Disney (and there are definitely people who do this), Disney loses money in the future.

I highly doubt anyone mistakes SSE for a non-Disney park. Despite what they think it looks like they still look at it and say SSE (golf ball) = EPCOT.

The "stop the Disneyfication of Epcot" boat has sailed.

um...EPCOT IS Disney. I don't think anyone would say it wasn't. I don't see how adding a huge eyesore is "disney-fying" something that is already "Disney-fied". It would be like putting a giant wand on the castle. (or worse a giant cake..oh wait...)

Craig & Lisa

Ok, here's my 2 cents. SSE is the central icon of EPCOT, and for the hardcore individuals EPCOT CENTER. But I think the wand adds just alittle bit to it. As Walt Disney said it will always be changing always adding. But the one thing that I would like to see put back would be the acryllic monolith with the original EPCOT insignia on it that stood on top of the fountain in front of SSE, THAT is one thing that should be put back.
ranting done, thankyou for your attention!

Arkansas Goofy

Original Poster
You have missed my point entirely, I don't believe I can express it any clearer than I already have, you either see it or you don't. I'll try once more, the Mona Lisa may still be there, even though someone has painted a mustache on it. Some may not see SSE as an engineering marvel of artistic expression as others do.

Ok, here is my point. What if someone painted a mustache on the monalisa, with erasable ink? The point I am trying to make is that they have done absolutely no harm to SSE. They dressed it up a bit to give it some character, much the same way we dress ourselves to give us character. Our bodies are a much bigger miracle that that ball is, but you wont see me scurrying across epcot naked!

head mouse

Ok, here is my point. What if someone painted a mustache on the monalisa, with erasable ink? The point I am trying to make is that they have done absolutely no harm to SSE. They dressed it up a bit to give it some character, much the same way we dress ourselves to give us character. Our bodies are a much bigger miracle that that ball is, but you wont see me scurrying across epcot naked!

Character? What Character is that? Bobo the clown? Erasable ink or not. it's still a travesty.

BTW a "naked' SSE would just be the frame. It is dressed with it's white/sliver plating.

cloudboy

Epcot Future World used to be about the future and knowledge and technology. The sphere was a good icon of looking forward with a global vision. The problem with the wand is that it turned it into a giant billboard and packaging item. It's the want that really takes it away from being a symbol (which everyone in the world got when it was used in multiple World's Fairs) and turns it into effectively a golf ball. It ruins the shape of it.

And it makes it look smaller.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom