Why is the first week of December so crowded?

MOUSEGIRL

Original Poster
We have been the first week of December 2 times over the past 3 years and never seen the hotels so booked up. The crown calendars say the week is at 4 and below all week , however most hotels are booked solid. We are staying at the Contemporary but can't get another room type. I checked the poly and the grand and nothing there either. I know that it is pop football week but they usually stay at the all stars.

wombat

We have been the first week of December 2 times over the past 3 years and never seen the hotels so booked up. The crown calendars say the week is at 4 and below all week , however most hotels are booked solid. We are staying at the Contemporary but can't get another room type. I checked the poly and the grand and nothing there either. I know that it is pop football week but they usually stay at the all stars.

Busy in early December? Let me see now.......... Oh yes, could it be something to do with Christmas?

MOUSEGIRL

Original Poster
Pop Warner football is usually early December at Disney.
Yes i am aware of pop warner the first week it has been the last few times we have been in December but I guess I am wondering if there is some sort of big conference going on? Pop has never affected the Contemporary, Grand or Poly and really dose not affect the parks much at all.

MacRtst

I am going the 1st /2nd week and noticed that also. I am curious to know if some of the all-stars are being refurbished thus pushing those guest to other hotels. I seem to remember that even though resorts appear full,many have a way of opening up the closer to the date. I just checked “Jersey week” is actually early November. So at least we won’t have that to contend with.

JIMINYCR

We also enjoyed the slow 2 Dec weeks of long ago, but no more. You have gotten more guests that are booking for Thanksgiving week that are now staying a bit longer that filters into the first week. But the main reason for the increase is because every site that talks Disney has been posting that the first 2 weeks of Dec is a great time to go because all the holiday decorations are up, the events are going on and " Its a SLOW time to go brecause you will beat the massive Christmas crowds. So a lot more people are jumping in on those 2 weeks. The same thing has happened with all the other what used to be slow park times.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We also enjoyed the slow 2 Dec weeks of long ago, but no more. You have gotten more guests that are booking for Thanksgiving week that are now staying a bit longer that filters into the first week. But the main reason for the increase is because every site that talks Disney has been posting that the first 2 weeks of Dec is a great time to go because all the holiday decorations are up, the events are going on and " Its a SLOW time to go brecause you will beat the massive Christmas crowds. So a lot more people are jumping in on those 2 weeks. The same thing has happened with all the other what used to be slow park times.

Yep...this same thing has happened to october, November, May and February...

Until a recession hits...the rest of the calendar will see increases.

Minnesota disney fan

Jersey week is actually in November....two weeks before Thanksgiving when the schools are out 2 days for the annual teachers convention.

Is this true about Jersey Week? It has always been the first week o fDecember, as far as I know. We have been many times at this time in December and always ran into them. Why the change?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Is this true about Jersey Week? It has always been the first week o fDecember, as far as I know. We have been many times at this time in December and always ran into them. Why the change?

Jersey week is the Njea convention where all schools are closed. Nobody goes to tbe convention anymore...but the unions hold onto the 4day weekend as a bargaining/negotiating chip.

That is always the first or second calendar week of November...usually like the 5-8 or 7-10 depending on the days.

My wife was a teacher at the time and we had our wedding on that Friday...way back then. The crowds were nice then...they are awful now and I shan’t deign to return.

Me 'Earties

Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate
Jersey week is in November, not December...as SirWalter mentioned, so it should have no bearing for the first week on December.

I think it’s more so DVC folks taking advantage of what used to be a slow time-after Thanksgiving but before Christmas break, with the advantage that the Christmas decor being up. We, too, saw how busy it was a few years back when we thought it would be a slow time as well. As I’ve heard before-slow times at Disney don’t really exist any longer; the scale nowadays is between busy to insanely busy

Ninja Mom

Straight from the Disney Mom's Panel, that controversial band of Maternal Marauders that posts all sorts of villainy, ok, mostly they post highly filtered and triple approved Disney pablum.

Can you tell me when jersey week 2018 will be”
Hiya Tiffany!

Thank you so much for stopping by! The phenomenon known as 'Jersey Week' will be the week starting November 4, 2018. This week tends to have a bit higher crowd levels due to an education convention that gives students a bit of a break in the school calendar early in November. Many families tend to take advantage of these days off by spending some time at Walt Disney World!

I hope this helps in your vacation planning!

Have a magical vacation!
Amanda"

https://disneyparksmomspanel.disney.go.com/question/tell-jersey-week-354050/

Jersey people get out on a regular basis. They have at times been spotted running amok all over the country at any given moment. One week is just as likely as the next to spot them at Disney. During Jersey week they tend to run in larger herds.

~NM

StarshipDisney

Guess we will find out for ourselves since our next trip is 1-8 December 2018. We went the same dates in 2007 and thought it was not crowded at all. Things may be different this time. Guess we can only hope for the best. At least most kids will still be in school.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Guess we will find out for ourselves since our next trip is 1-8 December 2018. We went the same dates in 2007 and thought it was not crowded at all. Things may be different this time. Guess we can only hope for the best. At least most kids will still be in school.

Well...we gots ourselves some interesting dynamical stuff going on here...

1. First, on properly sales of passes and hotels appear to be lagging this year...much speculation on why...
2.at the same time...we see more reports of what people deem to be “unacceptable”
Crowd/wait levels.
3. Everyone seems to agree it’s only gonna get worse starting late next year.

Get your 🍿

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom