Why is Disney getting rid of the little things?

Goofyernmost

Disney use to have small things like
this

or this

or this

Does anyone know why Disney is getting rid of these types of things?

The walking Dino was hardly a little thing. R&D on that alone was probably mind boggling. I thought it was touring different parks, but, I guess I haven't seen any reports of him lately.

The lamp was the result of a lawsuit banning Disney/Pixar from using it.

The Rat, I don't know for sure, but, I would bet that it was causing heart attacks in people that weren't aware that it was part of the show, but, all of a sudden found this rat thing during their dining experience.

Last edited:

FigmentPigments

I totally understand what you mean. It seems like Disney is downsizing. No more dance parties or a parade at Animal Kingdom, getting rid of live entertainments around the parks. I was especially sad to see Push the trash can gone. I remember looking suspiciously at each trash can at the Magic Kingdom, thinking that one of them was actually Push. The same thing with Wes Palm at the Animal Kingdom; he's no longer there either. It's just sad things like that are disappearing.

blueboxdoctor

The thing is, do people really miss these things? Would they not come back if they are gone? I'd assume people are still coming back with these things gone, so Disney probably didn't find a big need to keep them going. Does that make it right? Not necessarily, but for small things like this, getting rid of them isn't a huge deal. However, if they don't replace them with other small things/limited run things, that's when it gets a bit disappointing and feels lazy on their part.

FigmentPigments

The thing is, do people really miss these things? Would they not come back if they are gone? I'd assume people are still coming back with these things gone, so Disney probably didn't find a big need to keep them going. Does that make it right? Not necessarily, but for small things like this, getting rid of them isn't a huge deal. However, if they don't replace them with other small things/limited run things, that's when it gets a bit disappointing and feels lazy on their part.
Yeah, I think you're right. A lot of people come for the big attractions and didn't necessarily see the little things even when they were there. I don't think a lot of people said, "Hey, we can't miss Luxo Jr!" (Which was really cool by the way, and I do miss it.) On the other hand, the last time I saw Push, (he was rare even then) I stopped and watched the whole time he was out. He drew a big crowd of people, and it was such a joy to see him. I get it, but I don't have to like it. It really does make Disney seem lazy.

Lord Starwalker

I doubt they have fully done away with the walking dinosaur concept? I bet we are eventually going to see animatronics roaming a park. I hope it will happen in some form at Star Wars Land!

Autonomous droids and alien creatures roaming around the space port? Yes please! :geek:

blueboxdoctor

I forgot about a current, little thing. I noticed throughout Magic Kingdom, there are a few cast members who make water paintings on the less populated walk ways, which is pretty cool (watched a couple of times).

Also, this past December, there were two things I never experienced. The first was in front of Pirates of the Caribbean, where they had a lot of pirates walking around, not for autographs, but as part of the scene. They would just sit in the bushes behind people and stuff like that. Some would be talking and then after a while, Captain Jack came out for a sword fight and some cool stuff. Here's a picture from then, this is after Captain Jack took care of some bad guys and he walked off the stage, past a bunch of people watching, and went through a door to back stage.

The second was the following day in front of Aladdin's ride. Aladdin and Jasmine were asking people what they wished for to try to get the Genie to come out. Eventually, the Genie appeared on top of one of the stores.

Both of these events were also being video recorded and I saw cast members taking notes, so this may have been a trial run for more interactive characters, but it was pretty cool.

PhilharMagician

I thought Lucky got shipped to Hong Kong Disney. They probably kept him here until all the bugs were worked out and shipped him over seas. We got a chance to see Lucky once. He was interesting, but not a really big loss in my opinion.

The Mobile Muppet Lab is another that was @ Epcot for a short stay and I also believe it got sent to Hong Kong to help with the slow start to the park. This show should have been brought to the Studios to add to the Muppet area. Never got a chance to see it, but the videos of it are really funny.

Goofyernmost

I forgot about a current, little thing. I noticed throughout Magic Kingdom, there are a few cast members who make water paintings on the less populated walk ways, which is pretty cool (watched a couple of times).

Also, this past December, there were two things I never experienced. The first was in front of Pirates of the Caribbean, where they had a lot of pirates walking around, not for autographs, but as part of the scene. They would just sit in the bushes behind people and stuff like that. Some would be talking and then after a while, Captain Jack came out for a sword fight and some cool stuff. Here's a picture from then, this is after Captain Jack took care of some bad guys and he walked off the stage, past a bunch of people watching, and went through a door to back stage.

The second was the following day in front of Aladdin's ride. Aladdin and Jasmine were asking people what they wished for to try to get the Genie to come out. Eventually, the Genie appeared on top of one of the stores.

Both of these events were also being video recorded and I saw cast members taking notes, so this may have been a trial run for more interactive characters, but it was pretty cool.
Didn't even think about it until I read the part in red, but, you gotta admire how Disney can spin a story. Meaning... isn't Captain Jack one of the bad guys? Wasn't he a Pirate? It's sorta like what "The Godfather" did for the Corleone's. People were actually cheering when Michael had all those people killed. They were bad guys as well.

blueboxdoctor

Didn't even think about it until I read the part in red, but, you gotta admire how Disney can spin a story. Meaning... isn't Captain Jack one of the bad guys? Wasn't he a Pirate? It's sorta like what "The Godfather" did for the Corleone's. People were actually cheering when Michael had all those people killed. They were bad guys as well.

Yeah, I was thinking that when I wrote it too. But for all intensive purposes, the romanticized pirates enough in the movie that I think it fits, especially since, at least Captain Jack in the movies is going on quests to find treasures or mythical items, so he's never really portrayed as being a bad guy, unlike the actual bad guy pirates. It's not really Disney spinning a story, it's been done a lot in film and literature.

Goofyernmost

Yeah, I was thinking that when I wrote it too. But for all intensive purposes, the romanticized pirates enough in the movie that I think it fits, especially since, at least Captain Jack in the movies is going on quests to find treasures or mythical items, so he's never really portrayed as being a bad guy, unlike the actual bad guy pirates. It's not really Disney spinning a story, it's been done a lot in film and literature.
I agree, not just Disney... it is very common especially in action movies.

Jon81uk

You are also making me think of Wreck it Ralph. Just because you are a bad-guy, doesn't mean you are a bad guy.

raven

It seems like Disney is downsizing. No more dance parties...It's just sad things like that are disappearing.

It's all a money-game to them now. Dance parties seem to be reserved for separate ticketed events (or separate ticketed events AT those already separate ticketed events).

Disney has always pride themselves on keeping the entire family entertained even if the lines to attractions were so long that the family didn't utilize them for the entire day. These "little things" helped in that aspect of the parks. Push in Tomorrowland, Lucky at DAK, Luxo Jr. at DHS, Mobile Muppet Lab in Future World, Wes Palm at the entrance to DAK, Living Statues and walking entertainers in the France Pavilion at Epcot, entertainment at the African Outpost at Epcot, even entertainment at the Boardwalk added a much needed break from the normal park attractions and shows. So I can certainly understand what the OP means and the only guess that I can come up with is that they'd rather hoard the money and rake in more from guests while providing limited offerings. It's sad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom