Why is construction still happening at Universal, but not Disney?

jensenrick

My guess is Rat, Space 220, GotG, Moana/spine green space, and Tron will resume construction when this lets up. Everything else gets postponed of cancelled.

The shame of it is- Disney is missing a golden opportunity to do the kind of rehab/refurb on particular older attractions that they hardly ever have the opportunity to do because they (did) open every day. Even just a fresh coat of paint or something, which can be a one or two man job.

For that matter, people talk about how the theaters won't be able to be used- Well, if they take this opportunity of being closed for months to take out that dated old seating that 50% of Americans can't even fit into anymore, and put in wide-spaced cushy seats, like at my local Regal theater- Problem Solved!! :cool:

Josh Hendy

If there really was a plan to re-open by date "X" in the next few months then they wouldn't have completely shut down all construction.

If it was safe to let 10,000 people into a theme park with social distancing, masks and wiping down stuff (which I don't believe) then it would also be safe to let 50 or so construction workers into some of the nearly-complete attractions and finish at least one or two of them.

And we've been repeatedly assured that Disney isn't running of money so it can't be lack of funds that's preventing the resumption of at least limited construction.

So I speculate:

1 ... Disney knows that it can't and won't reopen WDW for the foreseeable future.

2 ... It's scared of going broke in the unforeseeable medium to long term because of low revenues and high expenses

3 ... Disney will be dependent on handouts and loans from govt and banks from now until some unforeseeable date

4 ... Handouts and loans are dependent on falling in line with the "Official Story" that the curve is flattening, this or that drug or vaccine is just around the corner, it'll be a V shaped recovery, yadda yadda.

Hence, the 2 popular subjects on these boards: "Yay we're going to open soon!" and, "Why is there zero construction?"

bartholomr4

If there really was a plan to re-open by date "X" in the next few months then they wouldn't have completely shut down all construction.

If it was safe to let 10,000 people into a theme park with social distancing, masks and wiping down stuff (which I don't believe) then it would also be safe to let 50 or so construction workers into some of the nearly-complete attractions and finish at least one or two of them.

And we've been repeatedly assured that Disney isn't running of money so it can't be lack of funds that's preventing the resumption of at least limited construction.

So I speculate:

1 ... Disney knows that it can't and won't reopen WDW for the foreseeable future.

2 ... It's scared of going broke in the unforeseeable medium to long term because of low revenues and high expenses

3 ... Disney will be dependent on handouts and loans from govt and banks from now until some unforeseeable date

4 ... Handouts and loans are dependent on falling in line with the "Official Story" that the curve is flattening, this or that drug or vaccine is just around the corner, it'll be a V shaped recovery, yadda yadda.

Hence, the 2 popular subjects on these boards: "Yay we're going to open soon!" and, "Why is there zero construction?"

pessimist

Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
pes·si·mism
(pĕs′ə-mĭz′əm)
n.
1. A tendency to stress the negative or unfavorable or to take the gloomiest possible view: "We have seen too muchdefeatism, too much pessimism, too much of a negative approach" (Margo Jones).
2. The doctrine or belief that this is the worst of all possible worlds and that all things ultimately tend toward evil.
3. The doctrine or belief that the evil in the world outweighs the good.

Giss Neric

If all these changes happen and Epic Universe happens Universal really will close the gap in Orlando.
Not really. With all that is happening Epic Universe original plans may still change. Construction is still very far along and they can still cancel projects so as Disney so closing gaps is too early to tell.

UpAllNight

I’m seeing the positives in the construction sense, that we’ve enjoyed some major investment over the past few years and some projects are past the point where they can’t not be completed at some point. If this was a few years back, who knows what Galaxys edge would have looked like.

Let’s hope that when normality resumes we can enjoy these parks again, irregardless of new stuff. I’d be happy with what’s there right now.

How Disney comes out of this will be interesting, they’re losing major money right now. I can foresee a situation of years of stagnation for new projects. Maybe Epic Universe May alter that slightly, but the depth of the damage may make investment simply not an option.

When social distancing is over, people with the means, who’ve avoided financial hardship will flock for the escapism of tourist destinations, so they may not feel the need to invest. But there will simply be many people who will no longer be able to afford such a trip on a short/medium term basis.

Last edited:

celluloid

When social distancing is over, people with the means, who’ve avoided financial hardship will flock for the escapism of tourist destinations, so they may not feel the need to invest. But there will simply be many people who will no longer be able to afford such a trip on a short/medium term basis.

Exactly this, so with their dollars more valuable to them than ever, especially those with the means, any edge over the competition will be better and chosen over the competition. If Universal has a new Raptor Encounter, JP Coaster/redo, than it has a better advantage than offering nothing that Disney is willing to gamble with. Of course Disney has the longer heritage and branding strength, but Universal wants to keep taking bigger cuts when many will visit the places with something new over the place that only made budget cuts while offering the same product for the next year.

Giss Neric

Disney is taking a pretty big hit with an unknown date for things to return to normal. Cruise ships, theme parks, movies.

How many people do think will jump right back on a cruise ship after this? Probably looking at bad numbers for two years. Theme parks will probably be the same. Movies are a problem for now but I don't think people will avoid movie theaters for years.

Universal simply has less business effected by what is going on. Universal has also had good luck with everything they have starting with Potter. Those project have paid for themselves except for the last couple of hotels Universal built. They just opened so.......
Universal didn't have a string of good luck after Potter. In terms of movies, Disney and Universal are definitely affected too but since the Disney movies make way more in the box office than Universal then I don't think it's a big deal for them.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I don’t think Comcast/Uni is coming out of this any better off than Disney. It’s a mess for everyone and for the new Uni park it’ll be interesting to see especially if travel trends go way down for a year or so if that project will even continue on as planned at the pace they expected.

Sir_Cliff

I don’t think Comcast/Uni is coming out of this any better off than Disney. It’s a mess for everyone and for the new Uni park it’ll be interesting to see especially if travel trends go way down for a year or so if that project will even continue on as planned at the pace they expected.
It does seem unusual to me that Universal would be pushing ahead with a new park given the current circumstances. Even leaving aside the expenses in building it, I would have thought there would be serious concern about what the travel industry is going to look like when it opens.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I suspect if the number of tourists to Orlando really drops off over the coming years, Disney is best placed to suck up the bulk of those that do come. Beyond the general strength of WDW as a brand, Disney already has the infrastructure in place to accommodate and keep large numbers of people on property. They can also offer deep discounts and all sorts of other offers that will seem too good to be true after WDW being so over-priced for so long.

I guess Uni might be betting on still attracting a bigger share of a smaller market with a new park, but you'd have to question whether it makes sense to spend this much money to do so right now.

wdwgreek

I saw an article that comcast only makes somthing like 10 percent of its comapny revenue on theme parks and therefore is able to weather the storm better. The article said somthing like 30 percent of comcast income is from its cable and internet company which is seeing increased use and profits right now. So comcast actually has income coming in whereas disney has seen an almost full halt in every sector but ABC.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I saw an article that comcast only makes somthing like 10 percent of its comapny revenue on theme parks and therefore is able to weather the storm better. The article said somthing like 30 percent of comcast income is from its cable and internet company which is seeing increased use and profits right now. So comcast actually has income coming in whereas disney has seen an almost full halt in every sector but ABC.

yeah I’ve seen that too but if Comcast only makes 10% from the parks I’d be surprised they’d be willing to continue massive spend there right now with an uncertain return anytime soon with the travel industry. We’ll see

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
By the time the park opens everything should be back to normal and Universal should see a big spike because of the new park. Same as what happened with Potter opening up but this will be a much bigger deal I think?

I think we may see attendance and Disney and Uni drop for the next year or 3 for fear (even if there is a vaccine for this) and because so many lost income during this

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom