Why is construction still happening at Universal, but not Disney?

lazyboy97o

It’s an American decision. Construction did not stop on the Disney projects in Asia. Don’t recall the status of Paris at the moment.

Disneyhead'71

I think it is because Comcast still has a revenue stream coming in being America's largest internet provider. Where as Disney is pretty much dead in the water until things start moving again.

But both companies did the same thing they are doing now during the 2008 crash. Disney shelved everything and sat on their hands for 2 years while Universal built through the recession. By the time travel recovered in 2010, Universal had a sparkly brand new Potter land and WDW still had The Boarded Up Ghost Town Formerly Known As Pleasure Island. Universal gained 12% of the market share because of Disney's conservative philosophy. Looks like they are willing to let it happen again. Just over 2 years from now Universal is going to open a brand new expansion to their resort that will include a new theme park that is home to Super Nintendo World and 2 hotels. Is Disney going to counter that with a grassy field formerly known as Future World?

DVCakaCarlF

I don’t agree with Disney stopping construction, but there could be a reason(s).

Could be risk? Construction Insurance will not cover corona virus related incidents...at least, not until the government is willing to cover it, yet.

Could be money? I doubt it, but anything is possible. Disney has more than enough money to cover costs.

Negotiations? Disney could be holding their contractors over a barrel saying “do it for less now that no one is in the park!”

Staffing? Contractors may have had staffing call off due to fears of the virus being spread.

Honestly, I can’t find a good reason to be closed to construction. You can get more things done cheaper and faster with the closure. I’m afraid it was a panic move by Chapek.

Creathir

I think it is because Comcast still has a revenue stream coming in being America's largest internet provider. Where as Disney is pretty much dead in the water until things start moving again.

But both companies did the same thing they are doing now during the 2008 crash. Disney shelved everything and sat on their hands for 2 years while Universal built through the recession. By the time travel recovered in 2010, Universal had a sparkly brand new Potter land and WDW still had The Boarded Up Ghost Town Formerly Known As Pleasure Island. Universal gained 12% of the market share because of Disney's conservative philosophy. Looks like they are willing to let it happen again. Just over 2 years from now Universal is going to open a brand new expansion to their resort that will include a new theme park that is home to Super Nintendo World and 2 hotels. Is Disney going to counter that with a grassy field formerly known as Future World?
Disney has other revenue streams such as Hulu, Disney+, and various other contracts and properties.
My hunch would be that the cashflow books are tighter at WDC due to the purchase of Fox, but that is just purely a guess.

Rteetz

Disney has other revenue streams such as Hulu, Disney+, and various other contracts and properties.
My hunch would be that the cashflow books are tighter at WDC due to the purchase of Fox, but that is just purely a guess.
But even then Disney had to stop production on new things for Hulu and Disney+ so yes while still there all they can do is put on existing content right now not new content.

Creathir

But even then Disney had to stop production on new things for Hulu and Disney+ so yes while still there all they can do is put on existing content right now not new content.
People are trapped at home with their kids.
They will not be canceling their Disney+ subscriptions unless they absolutely have to...
giphy.gif

plutofan15

The truth is that the budgets for all of WDC have been blown to hell by this. Any income coming in at this time is a trickle of normal. Disney+ is not profitable at this time and is not projected to be for some time - which is normal for a newly launched product. The company is doing all that they can to do what is best for the company and all of their employees. There are a lot of people putting in extraordinarily long hours working on budgets to do the right thing.

Last edited:

disney4life2008

Omg remind me. Was this during the original concept of Fisherman's Wharf or whatever the replacement for downtown Disney was supposed to be? I remember Disney made huge announcements including avatar land then most of those things were shelved or substantially cut.

disney4life2008

Contractors submit the application for payment, it’s approved, and then funded for payment.

I still can’t think of a good reason to pause construction at WDW...

We will never know. But a safe bet is that team Disney stops construction to evaluate what can be cut. They can't cut too much from epcot but they can downsize upcoming attractions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom