Why I Will Definitely Go Again

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Original Poster
That's what Jane Says ;)
Actually, Jane Says she's done with Sergio...
1652445060933.png

Lilofan

And for me it's the exact opposite 🙃. I've had great Disney vacations and only done maybe 1 or 2 rides. I've never beennon tower of terror or rnr and probably never will.

I didn't go to epcot during what I call "the glory years" so I don't get this whole "Ip" argument, isn't mickey an Ip?

I've sat in the lobby of WL for hours and been blissfully happy listening to the soundtrack
Also some dedicated guests find out when the big Christmas tree will be installed overnight in the lobby of Wilderness Lodge. The guests decked out in their pajamas in the lobby areas where they are allowed to view , watch in amazement not sleeping that night, the cast members put together the tree. I enjoyed listening to the Grand Floridian orchestra but I heard they were part of the layoffs in 2020.

kalel8145

And for me it's the exact opposite 🙃. I've had great Disney vacations and only done maybe 1 or 2 rides. I've never beennon tower of terror or rnr and probably never will.

I didn't go to epcot during what I call "the glory years" so I don't get this whole "Ip" argument, isn't mickey an Ip?

I've sat in the lobby of WL for hours and been blissfully happy listening to the soundtrack
Sometimes just taking it all in is a good way to spend time there.
I went to Epcot during the glory years. Starting from 2 weeks after it opened all through the 80s and 90s and continuing through now. Yes there is a lot I miss. The Imagination pavilion is not even a fragment of what it was. But that’s fine. It's still enjoyable to me. It doesn't get me all mad and upset. Things change. I could dwell on it but why?
The ip thing doesn't bother me either. I like marvel. Can't wait to ride Guardians. My family likes frozen, ratatouille, Nemo. We like seeing in the parks.

Raxel7851

but here's the thing, that's not exclusive to Disney, nor is it Disney's fault. That's pretty much always been the way of the world.
I just don't get this mindset that Disney is somehow evil or the bad guys because we come to a point where we can no longer afford it.
Is that how entitled we've all become where we rant when we can no longer afford a luxury (well at least in Disney's eyes) item. Does that work with every thing? lol, can I get mad at San Diego because I can't afford that beach house Ive been drooling over for the last 10 years?
I do know people who have decided to work until they die for various reasons. As I said before when we started to have kids we knew that in order to give them the life we felt a kid should have we would have to leave the city and move to a lower cost of living area.
like every other retiree, I have to make choices. Disney NEVER was free and inexpensive. I decided to retire after my second knee replacement, I knew that there was probably a short window of opportunity that I have to travel while still relatively healthy. I was watching a video about the GOTG ride, of course that got me wanting to go, pulled out a pen and paper, tried to magically make $500 bucks turn into $3500 bucks and nope, not going to wdw this year.
Why should I be mad at Disney for that?
You misunderstood my post. I never implied Disney was evil or bad. Quite the contrary. I’m as big a fan of WDW as most people here. I simply stated I’ll look a little more closely when I intend to go. If it costs a little more, well then so be it. I’ve been going to WDW since 1973, and intend to keep going.

Jrb1979

I guess I'm different in that way. Yes Mickey is an IP but he's not a draw for me either. That might change if and when I talk my daughter for the first time.

Last time I was at MK it didn't blow me away. Maybe cause I was solo with no kids but it didn't feel the magic that many do. I didn't grow up going to the parks so that could be part of it. I think another part is for me I find a lot of Disney rides fun but they lack re-rideability. At Universal last time I went I rode the Mummy 11 times in 3 days and Spiderman 6 times.

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member

For us, the parks are not the main reason that we visit anymore. We usually stay for 8-9 days 2 or 3 times every year, and on a few of them, we did resort only stays and had a great vacation. We get that we are different than most people that visit WDW. Of course it's a bit easier for us being DVC as it costs us a lot less.

We did go during the glory years, and I was even at the opening of EPCOT. We first went in 1978 (DW on a family trip) and when I moved to Orlando, and have loved it ever since. We don't go to the parks looking for something that is wrong or not working. We really don't get why people do that when they are on vacation. We also don't mind the IP in EPCOT at all.

And we love the festivals, so we are a bit different than some around here with that as well. We think it adds to the atmosphere, not take it away. EPCOT is our favorite park, and we are there almost every day that we are doing parks on a trip.

So yes, we will be back because we love it.

kalel8145

I guess I'm different in that way. Yes Mickey is an IP but he's not a draw for me either. That might change if and when I talk my daughter for the first time.

Last time I was at MK it didn't blow me away. Maybe cause I was solo with no kids but it didn't feel the magic that many do. I didn't grow up going to the parks so that could be part of it. I think another part is for me I find a lot of Disney rides fun but they lack re-rideability. At Universal last time I went I rode the Mummy 11 times in 3 days and Spiderman 6 times.
I hear ya. Totally understandable. I'm like that with universal. I have been a couple time. Totally enjoyed it, had a great time. Just doesn't do it for me enough to return regularly. I can say I'm not a fan of universal.
Serious question: would you say you're a fan of WDW or just Disney in general?

eliza61nyc

You misunderstood my post. I never implied Disney was evil or bad. Quite the contrary. I’m as big a fan of WDW as most people here. I simply stated I’ll look a little more closely when I intend to go. If it costs a little more, well then so be it. I’ve been going to WDW since 1973, and intend to keep going.
Thanks @Raxel7851 ! The one downfall of on line chatting, it's hard to get meaning when you have to follow " threads". I think Disney is an easy target for frustration especially now , after 2 years of a crazy pandemic and now insane inflation everyone wants some normalcy and to see Disney running amok with their pricing does such.

I suspect like many retirees I'll forever be keeping a close eye on the change purse

kalel8145

For us, the parks are not the main reason that we visit anymore. We usually stay for 8-9 days 2 or 3 times every year, and on a few of them, we did resort only stays and had a great vacation. We get that we are different than most people that visit WDW. Of course it's a bit easier for us being DVC as it costs us a lot less.

We did go during the glory years, and I was even at the opening of EPCOT. We first went in 1978 (DW on a family trip) and when I moved to Orlando, and have loved it ever since. We don't go to the parks looking for something that is wrong or not working. We really don't get why people do that when they are on vacation. We also don't mind the IP in EPCOT at all.

And we love the festivals, so we are a bit different than some around here with that as well. We think it adds to the atmosphere, not take it away. EPCOT is our favorite park, and we are there almost every day that we are doing parks on a trip.

So yes, we will be back because we love it.
Same here. We love the festivals. This trip we will be there for flower and garden. Only festival left to experience after that is the holidays.

Jrb1979

I hear ya. Totally understandable. I'm like that with universal. I have been a couple time. Totally enjoyed it, had a great time. Just doesn't do it for me enough to return regularly. I can say I'm not a fan of universal.
Serious question: would you say you're a fan of WDW or just Disney in general?
More a fan of the parks. I am a big amusement/theme park fan. A few years ago I visited 11 different parks across Canada and the US in a year.

I know it comes off sometimes that i push other parks on to people. I don't mean to come off that way. Cause I find it hard to relate to a lot of you in regards to Disney, I go back to what I know.

I do want to take my 2 year old some time. My issue with Disney is how they have run the parks coming out of the pandemic. I get price increases cause all parks are doing it. What bugs me is I see other parks doing things to get guests back. Then I look at Disney and it's the complete opposite. With all the cuts and nickel and diming it leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

kalel8145

More a fan of the parks. I am a big amusement/theme park fan. A few years ago I visited 11 different parks across Canada and the US in a year.

I know it comes off sometimes that i push other parks on to people. I don't mean to come off that way. Cause I find it hard to relate to a lot of you in regards to Disney, I go back to what I know.

I do want to take my 2 year old some time. My issue with Disney is how they have run the parks coming out of the pandemic. I get price increases cause all parks are doing it. What bugs me is I see other parks doing things to get guests back. Then I look at Disney and it's the complete opposite. With all the cuts and nickel and diming it leaves a bad taste in your mouth.
It's cool. I have seen sometimes people are a fan of Disney but don't get the parks. Only reason I asked.

Jrb1979

@eliza61nyc yes thats a lot of parks in one year. I'm hoping to top that in a few years cause there is a lot of parks that I still haven't visited yet.

Sometimes I feel jealous of many of you living in the US and being so closed to some amazing parks. I'm in Canada and I have 1 major park near me. The rest are all in the US and any major ones are at least 4 hours away.

Raxel7851

Thanks @Raxel7851 ! The one downfall of on line chatting, it's hard to get meaning when you have to follow " threads". I think Disney is an easy target for frustration especially now , after 2 years of a crazy pandemic and now insane inflation everyone wants some normalcy and to see Disney running amok with their pricing does such.

I suspect like many retirees I'll forever be keeping a close eye on the change purse
@eliza61nyc Please no worries. I always enjoy reading your posts. You put a lot of thought into them.

OneofThree

Translation: we're stupid??

nothings happened, we like what we like and it's not what other people like.

But that's our evil plan, destroy society one trip at a time until it's just us left.😄

If "You're stupid" is what you got from my post, then I've either miscommunicated terribly or have hit a nerve or two. I suppose the idea's most relevant to those who would have to be familiar with the WDW I am, back in the early to mid 80's. IMO, there's just no comparison in respect to customer service, attention to detail, cleanliness, and a whole bunch of current challenges that never needed to be navigated.
I have the pleasure of working for a Fortune 100 company, and can recall that back when I first began visiting WDW, a position as a cast member with the company was an incredibly sought after job in that market. Today, not so much. The reality is that the ability to provide a remarkable guest experience relies in great part upon the genuine engagement and attitude of the average employee. Employment at WDW is no longer what it once was, by all accounts, and it shows. This was evident in my last stay (Yacht Club) last month, where we received what was likely the poorest example of customer service I've witnessed on property, probably ever. This is just one example, one based on service. There are plenty of other examples which span multiple dimensions of guest experience.

My question was genuine, not leading in any way. I truly wish all WDW enthusiasts could experience what I did back in the day.

Lilofan

If "You're stupid" is what you got from my post, then I've either miscommunicated terribly or have hit a nerve or two. I suppose the idea's most relevant to those who would have to be familiar with the WDW I am, back in the early to mid 80's. IMO, there's just no comparison in respect to customer service, attention to detail, cleanliness, and a whole bunch of current challenges that never needed to be navigated.
I have the pleasure of working for a Fortune 100 company, and can recall that back when I first began visiting WDW, a position as a cast member with the company was an incredibly sought after job in that market. Today, not so much. The reality is that the ability to provide a remarkable guest experience relies in great part upon the genuine engagement and attitude of the average employee. Employment at WDW is no longer what it once was, by all accounts, and it shows. This was evident in my last stay (Yacht Club) last month, where we received what was likely the poorest example of customer service I've witnessed on property, probably ever. This is just one example, one based on service. There are plenty of other examples which span multiple dimensions of guest experience.

My question was genuine, not leading in any way. I truly wish all WDW enthusiasts could experience what I did back in the day.
The true WDW enthusiast were the pin collectors / traders. Is that still in existence or has that fad faded into the shadows….

eliza61nyc

I guess it was the statement about how you wonder what has "happened" to society that people who go to disney still like it?
What else does that mean?? I'm sorry that employment at Disney is not what it use to be, I was never employed by Disney and I also didn't go in the 80's but I do take exception to the inference that because people still like to go we somehow are responsible for Disney's poor customer service or the collapse of society.

I did not go to wdw in the 80's, there is nothing I can do to go back in time. exactly what does it say about society if people still like to go?? absolutely nothing. It says we simply like the place and feel we are getting what we paid for. nothing more, nothing less.

As a general rule the only time I really interreact with cast members for any significant length of time is during meal times. I've had great servers, pleasant and attentive. the staff at check in has always been attentive and professional.

so let me just say people that go to wdw are just like everyone else. Yes, we are fully aware that it cost less to stay offsite, yes we do realize that it's expensive, we don't blindly just go. We have no control over salaries, park offerings or genie plus , we can't rewind the clock to the glory days and we're certainly not responsible for the collapse of society. lol For the most part we are families that simply have great vacations at wdw, when that stops we'll stop going. my family has been going since 1990 and not once have we had a bad vacation.

kalel8145

While I don't think you were calling anyone stupid, it was condescending, and could absolutely be taken as " What is wrong with you people?", and I think you know it. It certainly was not in the spirit of this thread.

I have been going to WDW since back in the 80s when I was 8 or 9 up till now and I'm 48, at least once every other year, and more if I can. I have had good service and I have had bad service just like anyplace else in the world. Look for a bad time and you will find it. I have found you get treated by cast members the way you treat them. Some of my worst service is because I went at someone sideways. When I have treated them with respect, I get service commiserate with that and a little extra. Cast Members are human, Disney or not.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
It’s the storytelling, the recipe, and the shiny everything.

Storytelling - Haunted Mansion, Fantasmic!, Wishes, Illuminations, HEA, SSE, even Dinoland for me (lol I‘ll be slaughtered for that last one but I get a real kick out of Dinoland). These are just some examples. Ever read a great book and something about it touches your soul? There’s elements of WDW that do too.

The recipe - The mix & match is endless. Flavors of every kind and infinite ways to spend a day. We can wake up at Boardwalk, Go to AK and do FoP, Safari, Gorilla trail, Animation Class, Yeti, Winged Encounters, Nomad Lounge. Go back to BW for a nap then hit Epcot, try a food booth, wander some countries, rock out to a show, head over Spaceship Earth, check out Connections area, ride Soarin’, catch Harmonious, walk the water’s edge to back to BW Abracadabar for a nightcap. What a day! Different every day :)

Shiny everything - Almost every angle is like a scenic postcard. WDW is a nonstop feast for the eyes. Nature and fantasy blended together. There are all these lovely tranquil spots tucked all over. For all the hubbub and energy, I never get a headache.

When our son was younger trips were more commando style. Now we just plan how/when for our must-do high demand rides (hoping EMHs help), to hit all the night shows, and a few days G+ could make some mid-tier rides easier. We don’t want to miss certain rides, just don’t need to do it all anymore. Many of the easy attractions are our favs. Guide books may call these ‘diversions’ but we love how they balance our day.

I didn’t visit growing up. My husband was 11yo the one time his family visited. Friends collected Disney VHS but didn’t interest me. Wasn’t until after visiting WDW a few times that I started to get it. Each trip got better and better. Stories started to resonate. Characters started to stand out. The history started to matter. It’s the whole Disney World we enjoy.

ETA- Forgot the music 😱 Probably because no words can describe the soundtrack of WDW😍

Last edited:

Pepper's Ghost

@OneofThree - You make some good points about employee engagement. I'm sure most CMs are still very pleasant, but from what I've gathered on these boards recently, it seems that not all CMs are working in the Happiest Place on Earth anymore. Even a handful of CMs who are less than absolutely pleasant is more than there were even 15 years ago when all CMs were pleasant. From the sound of it, there are more "Sams" working there now. To me that says something about the company. Well-run companies that care about their employees and clients have employees that rave about the company, and those jobs are highly-coveted. I've experienced both sides... even at the same company. My last employer (also a fortune 100 company) was renowned for treating their employees like gold. Over the course of 15 years and by the time I left, employees were running for the exits. That wasn't a coincidence. Management had completely changed over from the CEO down and so did the atmosphere and "product" for the worse.

The one thing I'll say is that this thread was created by the OP to try and find a positive "island" in an ocean of negativity on these boards recently. Don't get me wrong, I've dumped on TWDC with the best of them recently. 🤣 I don't want to dump on them, but I find so many recent changes abhorrent. That said, in this thread I've tried to be positive and remember some of the old vibes... the ones that moved me to join this forum many moons ago. I haven't forgotten the recent bad decisions and changes, nor have I forgotten the old magic I adored for so long.

@eliza61nyc - if memory serves I believe you've mentioned that you don't do too many rides. If that's the case, your experience at the parks would be vastly different than the rest of us after recent changes. I actually think that's great for you and many others. Your experiences aren't hampered as much by G+, LL, and many of the up-charges. I can understand why you're upset by so much of the negativity, but I'd imagine you probably understand the other side as well. That said, no one should begrudge anyone else for still enjoying the parks. As someone said (possibly you), everyone experiences the parks differently. That will always be the case.

@kalel8145 - dude, you are one of the most positive people I've ever "met". I think that's awesome! It's inspiring for me, sincerely.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom