Why I think The Great Movie Ride Will Close

Would You Be Happy To See The Great Movie Ride Go?

• yes

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • no

Votes: 125 85.0%

• Total voters

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
Techinally, MGM would still have the copyright to the images of the Wizard of Oz and Disney would have to sign a licensing deal to use them and I don't Disney wants to spend money for something that is just quickly looked at.

DisJosh

Yeah but the Wizard of Oz scene is great.........the Witch is probably the most realistic looking animatronic in all of WDW!

MickeyAve

KEEP THE GMR!!!

I feel that this ride is a Disney classic everyone I take on it loves it and want s to do it again, becides that is the WHOLE reason that Disney-MGM Studios is there today! And if they do that then basicly all of the HOLLYWOOD 1030s theme is lost.... I think that it would be an insult to the movies tom see the ride gone.... Becides what other ride shows that much detail, I mean come ON!!! The Ruby Slippers were made by someone who does that for a living and in the Indiana Jones scene he even has his whip and dirt on his face!
The Great Movie Ride is a true Disney classic.

~Mickey:)

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
Yeah but World of Motion, Horizons, and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride were also classics but they closed those down. Even Great Moments with Mr. Lincolin and IASW were to considered to be closed forever over at Disneyland.

Maria

World of Motion and Horizons had to be closed.... They were supposed to be in Future World, and they were getting outdated. When replacing WoM, I think they could have done it better: adding Test Track to it, instead of replacing it with TT. Horizons was a good one, but I think Mission:Space will exceed people´s expectations and fill in for Horizons on that subject in Future World.

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
The poin that I was making was that they were classics and they were closed to make room for the future attractions that we love so that the lose of TGMR will be less when it finally comes.

Al

Original Poster
i think we will all be sad to see it go :( , but hopefully something amazing , out of this world will be put in.. well it better do!

I will not have another meet and greet!!!!!!!gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ok ok , i have calmed myself

Maria

Originally posted by MickeyMoose15
The poin that I was making was that they were classics and they were closed to make room for the future attractions that we love

without trying to contradict you, and all due respect, I don´t think they were "classics" (please nobody hits me!! *wink*)... they were as classic as Universe of Energy, The Land Pavillion, The Living Seas, etc. They were part of Future World themed areas. They just finished their cicle.
Someone said that TGMR was like the "main reason" why Disney-MGM park was built. I believe that TGMR is a classic when I think of the main thing to see for the Studios (as Spaceship Earth in Epcot). Something you just can´t miss seeing. Horizons and WoM surely I didn´t want to miss, -specially when you could see your vehicle on the second floor "outside" of the building in WoM-, but I would never dare to miss SE no matter how long the queue was! That was the classic, and I believe it will never die... it will just get refurbished to update it every certain time...

IMHO...

;)

Al

Original Poster
I agree, that you cant of visited epcot properly if you havent been on spaceship earth!

Oh, i can just see it now,,, front page news...

Disney Scraps EPCOT's Trademark "Golfball" for character meet and greet!

I doubt they will ever get rid of it, they may rehab it, or just put a totally new ride in, but they will probably only get rid of epcots trademark if they have to (eg, they building becomes unstable, what is rumoured to of happend to horizons, apparently disney was scared of putting workers in to dismantle it! But that is just a rumour!

MickeyAve

Originally posted by MickeyMoose15
Yeah but World of Motion, Horizons, and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride were also classics but they closed those down. Even Great Moments with Mr. Lincolin and IASW were to considered to be closed forever over at Disneyland.

Yes but Great Moments with Mr. Loncoln was brought back because of poeple talking to guest services and now look at it it is the most interesting attraction that has to do with Walt there, they have his office from The WDco. Very neat
SO go tlak to Guest Services everyone!

~Mickey:)

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
TGMR is no longer the main reason people go to the Disney Studios. They are heading there for Fantasmic!, Twilight Zone: Tower of Terror, and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster.

Nightwing

I'm kinda torn about this Attraction. I think it REALLY needs to be updated with new movie scenes and effects. Disney has sooo many movies thay could use to make this attraction better. They have "Family" movies like "The Santa Claus" and "Spy Kids" to bring in the kids and they could also use their movies like "Scream" and Con Air" to bring some thrills and Chills to the ride like "Alien" did 10 years ago. They don't have to use just "Disney" movies. They have Touchtone, Hollywood and Dimention titles that would work just fine! BUT i do also love the idea of bringing something BETTER to the Studios, but the Hollywood Building theme should always stay!

MrPromey

Originally posted by Nightwing
I'm kinda torn about this Attraction. I think it REALLY needs to be updated with new movie scenes and effects. Disney has sooo many movies thay could use to make this attraction better. They have "Family" movies like "The Santa Claus" and "Spy Kids" to bring in the kids and they could also use their movies like "Scream" and Con Air" to bring some thrills and Chills to the ride like "Alien" did 10 years ago. They don't have to use just "Disney" movies. They have Touchtone, Hollywood and Dimention titles that would work just fine! BUT i do also love the idea of bringing something BETTER to the Studios, but the Hollywood Building theme should always stay!

Well, something "better" could be easily just be a serious update of this attraction. I think that the addition of some environmental effects such as wind, mist, changes in temperature or such in certain areas would be a nice touch. They could also make the attraction more interactive by placing things closer to the vehicles and by possibly even putting things in the way of the vehicles that can move or lift up as you pass through their areas. Simulator effects like a large subtle time rover where you would sort of cool but I think expecting that would be aiming high. As it stands now, the attraction feels like you are traveling through sets looking at things from the 3rd person. With the possible exception of the Wizard of Oz scene,k even the sets you go straight through the middle of seem this way. Sets like Alien, could probably stand to be replaced all together since that series seems to have run its course (Don't get me wrong, I loved this scene at one time but everything in it, including the aliens seems dated) and others like the mummy chamber don't meet the expectations of the modern audience who seen the modern incarnation of the mummy movies. There is a lot they could do to bring this attraction into the new century without completely changing the concept of what's in that show building.

Nightwing

WOW! Someone who thinks the way I do! I think it would be cool if Disney would read these posts and think outside their "box". TGMR was a blast when I first rode it! I love the idea of riding into movies. But 10 years later, the "Alien" rarely comes out of thw wall and the ceiling. It used to "drip" on you, but that doesn't work now either. The only thing I think that's still cool is the bank catching on fire. I argee with you that they need bigger sets and props that movein, around your car. Effects that make you feel you are IN the scene, not looking at it.

Disney,(or Eisner) needs to sit down with REAL Disney Fans like you and me and ask us the following questions..

1) What ideas/RIDES do you want to see in the Park?
2) Why do you think Thrill Rides like TOT and RnR bought in bigger crowds to the Studios?
3) Why isn't there a wait to ride TGMR ?

They do ask Guests leaving the park about their visit, but they need a month long meeting wth Annual Pass holders and Disney Fans like you and me to tell them "honestly" what's missing and even wrong with the parks.

Al

Original Poster
Just write to disney with your thoughts- I did! It cant do any harm, who knows, with just a small bit of money for a postage stamp, YOU COULD CHANGE THE GMR!!! (Well aslong as lots of ppl did the same thing) we all need to unite, and send letters, HERE are the addresses;

Mr. Roy E. Disney
Vice Chairman
The Walt Disney Company
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521-4873

Mr. Marty Sklar
Vice Chairman & Principal Creative Executive
Walt Disney Imagineering
1401 Flower Street
Glendale, CA 91221
[ Keep in mind that Imagineering is
responsible for creating the Magic, and
can only work within the budget they're given by
folks like Eisner and Pressler. Be supportive! ]

Mr. Michael Eisner
Chairman & Chief Executive Officer
The Walt Disney Company
Burbank, CA 91521-4873

Mr. Paul Pressler
Chairman & President
Walt Disney Parks & Resorts
Burbank, CA 91521-4873

Mr. Al Weiss
President
The Walt Disney World Resort
PO Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830

Mr. Lee Cockerell
Executive Vice President of Walt Disney World Operations
1375 Buena Vista Drive
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-1000

Mr. Phil Holmes
Vice President of the Magic Kingdom
PO Box 10000

Walt Disney World Guest Communications
PO Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0040

Walt Disney World Guest Relations
PO Box 10000

Letters to the Editor
The Orlando Sentinel
633 North Orange Avenue
Orlando, FL 32801-1349
Fax: 407.420.5286

I think that after eisner shuffled some of the places, some of the names might be wrong, you'll just have to address it with, "To whom it may concern"!
Nightwing, you really should write to Eisner and tell him what you think ( you know, that bit you said?) "Disney,(or Eisner) needs to sit down with REAL Disney Fans like you and me and ask us the following questions..

1) What ideas/RIDES do you want to see in the Park?
2) Why do you think Thrill Rides like TOT and RnR bought in bigger crowds to the Studios?
3) Why isn't there a wait to ride TGMR ? "

I think this would really wake him up , and make him realise! Good luck!

ps. If you are from a different country, like me, just put United States Of America underneath the FL 32830-0040 , or the Ca whatever it is.

Phew! Am i worn out! ;)

Mattore

A note on the Alien scene:

Nothing can be done about the movie getting older each year, however, several noticible changes have been made to this scene in that last few months.

1. 'Blood' once again drips on you from the ceiling.
2. The amount of smoke and steam has more than doubled, you can no longer see some of the 'backstage' elements that once were visible.
3. The alien 'moves' more. His head now moves much more drastically.

Other changes have also been made, it's a lot cooler now that 6 months ago or so. Also, for the person that mentioned mist: many years ago, there was a wall of mist at the end of the Alien scene, completely blocking the view into Raider of the Lost Arc, which you went "through". It was removed for several reasons, but it would be cool to have something like that back. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom