Why I think The Great Movie Ride Will Close

Would You Be Happy To See The Great Movie Ride Go?

• yes

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • no

Votes: 125 85.0%

• Total voters

Al

Original Poster
Hi,

Now dont get me wrong, this ride is my favourite, but recently rumours have been flying that it will be closed to be replaced with a villians ride.

First of all, if Disney doesnt renew the contract with MGM, then it will just be disney studios. Now, forgive me if im wrong, but the films featured in the ride arent all made by disney, so by contract they may have to get rid of them.

Also, infront of the Great Movie ride, was a lovely symmmetrical view of the building, with the Mickey bush in the middle. But now they have gone and built that big hat in front, and it doesnt look like it gonna go anywhere.:(

So, this would be ideal to block off construction work.
This is just my opinion, i really do, hope that I am totally wrong.

I have written a letter telling them how much the ride is loved by disney guests.:)

wdwmaniac

I think the ride needs to get revamped or a new ride put in it. I like the ride but it the last thing that has anything to do MGM. If they loss the MGM name the ride might go to.

MrPromey

You know, as much as I like this attraction, I was on it yesterday and was thinking that something needs to be done about it. Some parts seem to still be OK but the Alien, scene feels very dated and so do others like the cowboy/gangster and jewel scenes. Part of it may be a slight lack of enthusiasm on the parts of the cast members these days but these scenes feel kind of old to me. I don’t want to see them get rid of the ride but I'd like to see some scenes either get an update or be replaced possibly, with scenes from newer movies...

MrPromey

Originally posted by Alberrisford
Hi,

Now dont get me wrong, this ride is my favourite, but recently rumours have been flying that it will be closed to be replaced with a villians ride.

The villains ride rumor has been around for a while now… I remember when there was talk of the C.A.V.E. technology that it might be used in that building for a villains themed attraction. That had to have been at least a year ago. Then the rumor was that they were just going to keep it open through the Millennium celebration…

B.T.W., another think I wish they would update on this ride is the sound system in the theatre at the end. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the newer stadium theatres with all digital sound but the sound in that final movie, area seems kind of weak to me...

Debbie

I'm with Mr.Promey, I really like this ride, but I would like to see some updating done on it. I only go on it now to take someone who hasn't seen it yet. I wouldn't like to see it close alltogether though.

Tramp

Originally posted by MrPromey
Part of it may be a slight lack of enthusiasm on the parts of the cast members these days but these scenes feel kind of old to me.

I noticed a lack of enthusiasm BIG TIME with the CMs. In fact, they were kiddingly arguing about who was gonna take the next ride and do the acting. There was a distinct tone of BOREDOM in their voices, something unheard of in my previous visits. Someone, somewhere within the organization is slacking off.

BTW, I like the ride but it needs a make-over.

Ive heard so many rumors about this ride. Some sources say it will change to a villian or indy ride, some people say its not going anywhere. My thoughts are this; whenever I go to the Studios, theres just something about looking down hollywood boulevard and seeing the theatre. It just pumps me up, like seeing the castle or SPE. If this stupid hat wasn't looking permanent, I'd have hope for the attraction, but its look as if its another plan by Disney to take down another classic. On the other hand the building is huge and could house a major attraction, but Im hoping they still use a movie "hollywood glitz and glamour" theme, I love that, its goes so good with the theming.

Proputter

I love this ride and think a few changes (mostly in the middle) would be good, to stay with the theme, but add some new excitement.

lnsemsf

I think that this ride was cool when it first opened, but that was a long time ago and I was a lot younger. I took my friend on it back in 1994 and when I asked his opinion of it, his answer is one of the best descriptions of that ride i've ever heard "That ride gives new meaning to the word mediocre." It hasnt gotten any better since 1994 so it's seriously time it gets updated or removed. My personal choice is removed. While I hate to see classic disney rides go, the loss of that one wouldnt break my heart at all. I think It's beyond saving. If I didnt have an anual pass, no matter how much money the poured in to it, it wouldnt be enough to get me to go back to the park. A new Indy ride, or a ride with new and exciting technology definitly would.

Maria

It´s a shame to hear that CM´s were arguing about who was gonna do the acting or not... in that kind of rides, how much you enjoy it or not, relies a lot on the CM who is taking you... I personally like GMR a lot, and my parents love it. I like the preshow a lot and the last part too and always went on it when we visited Disney.
Then I worked there and enjoyed it even more as I had the best tour guide ever!:)

Goofster

I love the Great Movie ride, and I cannot see the Imagineers letting those guys in chanrge get rid of the entire reason Disney-MGM Studios is a theme park. I mean, the Great Movie ride was originally designed as an Epcot Pavillion, but then grew to the full scale park we know today.

I say, change it to a Disney Movie Moments ride, I mean, you've allready got Mary Poppins, Fantasia, maybe even Tarzan, they just might need to move those sets around. Wouldn't that be great? They should change those cars too, maybe to look like 50's cadillacs or something, I don't know cars. I mean, that would be sweet. And then they put the Indy and Mickey vs. Villains rides in other sections of the park.

MrPromey

Originally posted by WDW-Imagineer
I would not miss GMR if it were replaced by the Indiana Jones ride.

Sorry Imagineer but I don't seen that happening, at least not as long as we have the stunt show and since they just put all that time and money into reconditioning everything...

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
It has been 10 long years of the same thing. I can probly even remember every single line from the past couple of trips. The Great Movie Ride needs to be updated along with the Indiana Jone Epic Stunt Spectacular and Star Tours. 10 Years is very long and for CMs the shows can get boring for them day in and day out.

MrPromey

Actually Moose, it's been closer to 13 years... :( THey have updated scenes from the movie segment at the end a few times but I don't think anything else has really changed since day one...

DisJosh

Originally posted by MickeyMoose15
They add scenes from Independence Day, The Lion King, and Armageddon were added in 2000 but other then that, no other changes.

In the ride or the movie at the end? Theres nothing new as far as the scenes go but the movie at the end is totally new.......I think.

DisJosh

Thats what I thought. Speaking of Independence day has anyone heard any rumours of an ID4 attraction for MGM? I saw something somewhere......

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom