....why i hate dreamworks

dopey

Originally posted by DisneyExpert
What a load of crap...

Or do you mean "carp"? :)

They may be similar in that both are fish tales, but the stories seem different enough to allow each to stand on its own. "Sharkslayer" sounds like it'll be a hoot (love "Some Like It Hot") and "Finding Nemo," judging by the trailer, looks like a surefire hit. Besides, Disney/Pixar has a six month head start on Dreamworks. That said, it does seem suspicous that they keep coming up with the same themes.

darthdarrel

Originally posted by NowInc
Anyone ever notice that dreamworks always seems to release a similar movie to disney around the same time??

Bugs life..shrek...and now::

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2003-01-26-sharkslayer_x.htm

yep...fish.... *sigh*
HEY NOW INC! Glad to see your back!:D :wave:
I have to agree with Dopey on this one, The stories of the two are extremely differant,but it is suspicious that they are both using fish.

sillyspook13

"DreamWorks' next blend of hand-drawn and digital techniques, Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas (July 2), may feel uncomfortably similar to the pirate-populated Planet, though Katzenberg says, 'Our film is galaxies away from Treasure Planet.'"

Riiight.......:rolleyes:

sillyspook13

"As for Sharkslayer following Disney and partner Pixar's own 3-D fish tale, Finding Nemo (May 30), Katzenberg says any similarities are mere coincidence, much like his Antz and Disney-Pixar's A Bug's Life in 1998. 'We've been open with the Pixar people so we don't step on each other's toes.'"

I'm not convinced.

Goofster

I know, this is getting out of hand. Can they come up with an idea for a computer animated movie that isn't thrown together once they find out what Disney and Pixar are doing. Jeez Jeff, we know you hate Disney and Eisner, we understand!!!!

Well, maybe Sharkslayer will be the first CG animated movie in history to bomb. I'm crossing my fingers and waiting. I know a CG movie has to bomb sooner or later (probably later) and when it does, I can't wait to see what happens to all the studios who put all their animation hopes in CG. Don't get me wrong, I love CG movies, but there's just something about traditional animation. Ohh well, at least the morons over at Dreamworks still know what they're doing. Even if they can't make a good traditional animated movie, at least they try.

darthdarrel

Originally posted by Goofster
I know, this is getting out of hand. Can they come up with an idea for a computer animated movie that isn't thrown together once they find out what Disney and Pixar are doing. Jeez Jeff, we know you hate Disney and Eisner, we understand!!!!

Well, maybe Sharkslayer will be the first CG animated movie in history to bomb. I'm crossing my fingers and waiting. I know a CG movie has to bomb sooner or later (probably later) and when it does, I can't wait to see what happens to all the studios who put all their animation hopes in CG. Don't get me wrong, I love CG movies, but there's just something about traditional animation. Ohh well, at least the morons over at Dreamworks still know what they're doing. Even if they can't make a good traditional animated movie, at least they try.
Well I hate to tell you people,but Treasure Island(A DISNEY MOVIE)
Bombed!

pheneix

>>>"DreamWorks' next blend of hand-drawn and digital techniques, Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas (July 2), may feel uncomfortably similar to the pirate-populated Planet, though Katzenberg says, 'Our film is galaxies away from Treasure Planet.'"

Riiight.......<<<

One thing that is for certain is that Sinbad can not perform any worse than Treasure Planet. For that matter, it can't be any worse of a movie either.

>>>The much like his Antz and Disney-Pixar's A Bug's Life in 1998. 'We've been open with the Pixar people so we don't step on each other's toes.<<<

He's probably saying that because Dreamworks would like nothing more than to bring Pixar under the fold when that contract is up for renewal. Hell, since Pixar's relationship with Disney is all but over, I would be kissing up to Steve Jobs too*.

>>>Well, maybe Sharkslayer will be the first CG animated movie in history to bomb. I'm crossing my fingers and waiting.<<<

That's actually already happened with Disney's Dinosaur. One would think that the results of this film would scare the suits straight, but all it convinced them to do was to farm out ALL major CGI projects to outside vendors.

* Question to administrator: Why is the word "s u c k i n g" censored? I know that it can be used to refer to a @%$ act, but there are hundreds of other words that do the same thing too.

** Oh geez, now I see that the word s*x is censored too. Last time I checked the name on the header here wasn't supposed to be "Intercot" ;)

NowInc

Original Poster
...woo.. a few comments here...

Shrek - green monters
Monsters inc...duh

yep..similairity there ;)

...want MORE dreamworks ripoffs??

El Dorado
Atlantis..

Spirit
An upcoming IMAX horse movie that disney is working on (IMAX films take longer to make..so chances are disney started this one first too)

Dreamworks has been "ripping off" the ideas from disney ever since katzenburg switched teams...and since its got spielburg..they tend to get a bit of a favorable lean from the oscars etc (you cant HONESTLY tell me that shrek was better than monsters inc...shrek was a friggin PARODY basically)

...this is a dirty dirty industry..and what s ucks is that the link between the 2 companys...is Lucas...eek!!

darthdarrel

Shrek - green monters
Monsters inc...duh

...want MORE dreamworks ripoffs??

El Dorado
Atlantis..

Spirit
An upcoming IMAX horse movie that disney is working on (IMAX films take longer to make..so chances are disney started this one first too)

Dreamworks has been "ripping off" the ideas from disney ever since katzenburg switched teams...and since its got spielburg..they tend to get a bit of a favorable lean from the oscars etc (you cant HONESTLY tell me that shrek was better than monsters inc...shrek was a friggin PARODY basically)

...this is a dirty dirty industry..and what s ucks is that the link between the 2 companys...is Lucas...eek!!
Ummm.... Dan,I liked both Shrek and Monsters inc. but I have to admit I liked Shrek just a little bit more then Monsters inc.:lookaroun

tenchu

Shrek - green monters
Monsters inc...duh

Who's a munter? :lol:

If they really are copying Disney, then I don't see why. What benefit do they get from having similar films? Hoping to ride on the same wave?

Erika

As I understood it, Disney was doing its preliminary work on Bugs Life at the time Katz split. Then came Antz- ta da! Then came Kingdom in the Sun (I mean Emperor's New Groove) and Road to El Dorado-

I've noticed it too, Dan- I think he has such a vendetta against the Disney animation department that Dreamworks is going to compete as directly as possbile.

Maybe a little competition isn't a bad thing.

WDWspider

Shrek - green monters
Monsters inc...duh

Well, at least the stories of these two were a lot different and the similarities were not as noticeable between Monsters and Shrek.

Still, you are right, they have copied a lot. They did do some Biblical Animations though.

I liked Road to El Dorado a lot also. :zipit:

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by darthdarrel
Ummm.... Dan,I liked both Shrek and Monsters inc. but I have to admit I liked Shrek just a little bit more then Monsters inc.:lookaroun

(You have your opinion Darrel...I just used your quote for a "link")

IMHO...Monsters was an all-around better movie. (and not because it was DISNEY)

Monsters made me have the complete "movie-going" experience. Boo was cute and tugged at the "sad" strings at times.
The team of Crystal and Goodman was unbelievable.
Randall was just a BADDDDDD Villain...(he was out to hurt a little child...how much more evil can you get???)
A HUGE "barrier" was dropped with the ANIMATING of Monsters...Animators ACTUALLY GOT HAIR TO ACT LIKE "HAIR"
And, it's a great family movie.

Shrek on the other hand...
Veiled innuendos ALL OVER IT!!!
Think of the kids that asked THIS ONE: "Mommy, what does he mean..."He must be compensating for something" (which was in that movie more than once.
The "dolls" at the beginning that almost say Wipe your A$$ but said Face instead.
Gingerbread man saying "EAT ME"
These are just some examples...and THIS is the reason that Shrek beat out Monsters in the box office...because they didn't need to stand behind the "DISNEY" name (BUT...THIS IS NOT A WAY TO GO ABOUT MAKING A FAMILY MOVIE)

Both good movies? YES...
Both good family movies? That's another story.

dreamer

I also liked Shrek much better than Monsters Inc. It was definitely NOT Disney-like. It was taken from the children's book "Shrek" about an ogre and a donkey, which you can find in the children's section of your library. The story was changed.

The whole point of Shrek is that life doesn't have to be Disney-perfect, and I agree with that. They were definitely poking fun of Disney and did a good job of it. A great ending.

The Moses and Joseph movies by Dreamworks were fantastic. I wish they would do more along those lines.

Antz was about bugs, but it was different enough from Bug's LIfe to stand on its own. I think of it as a Woody Allen movie more than anything else. I couldn't care less if they got the idea to do a bug movie from Disney.

Road to El Dorado was more like Atlantis-- in it's plot -- than Emperor's New Groove. I really see no similarities between El Dorado and ENG.

My opinion on Dreamworks is that they are providing needed competition for Disney AND producing some good movies. I hope they continue to be successful as well as Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom