Why Hollywood Studios is being rebuilt

Ignohippo

You forgot to mention that Star Tours: The Adventure Continues as a thrill ride since the attraction is a motion simulator. While Star Tours is a mild as a Motion Simulator compare to Mission: Space Orange version, it is technically a thrill ride.

Motion Simulators in nature are thrill rides despite the fact some of them are mild.

Well, I didn't name every single ride, but 3 "thrill" rides still doesn't make it a thrill park.

lazyboy97o

The original proposed New Fantasyland featured Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella meet and greets as well as Pixie Hollow. That was way too girly. Axing Pixie Hollow and those two meet and greets in favor of the Mine Train was the right call.
Those meet and greets also would have been an operational nightmare.

That just made me kinda sad. =(
What makes you sad? That Walt wanted a place many ages could enjoy and that Disney today aims more and more just for little kids?

lazyboy97o

I believe Disney's vision was to appeal to the ENTIRE family.
But there is this misbelief that if the parents enjoy watching their kids have fun, then the family is being entertained. That is not the case and he specifically said he wanted direct enjoyment for the older family members. His girls were teenagers by the time Disneyland opened and in the 1960s there was an article that ended with a joke about how one day maybe someday there will be a Disneyland for kids.

Ignohippo

Disney is willing to right off the teen demographic because, as a group, they do not have enough disposable income. That's it. They're not the ones driving the growth at Universal Orlando Resort, particularly the explosion in merchandise sales. With families, the parents really are the key, regardless of if they have toddlers or teenagers. Entertaining them directly, not vicariously, and their children of many ages and you'll loosen up their wallet.

No, teens don't have as much disposable income, but they do help guide family vacation plans. Disney has just not had to worry about them as much as they do now, because there wasn't the competition in Orlando for their demographic that there is now.

Before, the family would still plan on coming to WDW for a week and the teen would have to make the best of it. Now, there's a a VERY compelling argument to visit the other theme parks down I-4 and not spend as much time at WDW.

BryceM

But is there even a battle? C'mon. Who's Winning?
Disney won a long time ago. Universal sucks. Thrill rides my toosh. Harry Potter is the only thing they have. I wish there was more theming and fun parades and fireworks. They don't even have the same amount of rides. Disney takes years to do. Universal...a few days. Bleh.
Universal has no theming? Did you even step foot into Islands of Adventure?

lebeau

I'm just looking at Harry Potter. Islands of Adventure got a HUGELY SUBSTANTIAL increase in attendance when that land opened up...that's not all theme-park goers...those are a lot of people that are just interested in Harry Potter and probably never would've gone to Universal had it not been for it.

It didn't get that bump because a good ride opened...it got a huge bump because of the IP.

True. I think HP is the exception. I have said several times before (forgive me if you have read a similar post from me) that Harry Potter developed a huge, devoted fan base that was being severely underserved. They were starving for new HP merch and experiences. I can't think of any other IP that has such a large under-served fanbase.

lazyboy97o

No, teens don't have as much disposable income, but they do help guide family vacation plans. Disney has just not had to worry about them as much as they do now, because there wasn't the competition in Orlando for their demographic that there is now.

Before, the family would still plan on coming to WDW for a week and the teen would have to make the best of it. Now, there's a a VERY compelling argument to visit the other theme parks down I-4 and not spend as much time at WDW.
But I think Universal is making in roads by aiming wider while Disney is narrowing their focus. The teen isn't just bored at Disney because Disney lacks thrill rides, but because they've deliberately aimed younger. They're excluding not just the teen, but everybody over 10.

lebeau

They have enough thrill rides to keep teens entertained for a day, not a 7 day vacation that DW is trying to keep them on the grounds for. My niece and nephew (ages 16 and 14) want nothing to do with DW because "it's for little kids and boring." Anecdotal I know but I fear that sentiment is more widespread. More thrill rides in DHS could do a lot to curb this.

But why chase a demo that is already disinclined to like your brand? They could spend tons of money to lure in teens who just aren't interested no matter what they do.

Disney needs to offer some things for teens to do to entertain teens in families. But teens are not their target demo. Disney doesn't need to appeal to them specifically.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Walt Disney was too. I can't believe you just said that.
So you're saying parents can't enjoy themselves while there?

I think people are refering to a couple of new additions, especially in Fantayland that focus to much on the children, Enchanted Tales with Belle where adults can sit and watch thier children perform for Belle, the queueless queue for Dumbo where parents can sit and watch thier kids play while waiting to ride Dumbo, the Casey Jr water play area where parents can sit and watch thier children play in the water, no to mention the prolifaration of M&G's which are primarily aimed at kids interacting with the characters while thier parents watch.

lebeau

The original proposed New Fantasyland featured Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella meet and greets as well as Pixie Hollow. That was way too girly. Axing Pixie Hollow and those two meet and greets in favor of the Mine Train was the right call.

It was the right call. But Disney has a long way to go before they enter the territory of "too girly".

hull327

But why chase a demo that is already disinclined to like your brand? They could spend tons of money to lure in teens who just aren't interested no matter what they do.

Disney needs to offer some things for teens to do to entertain teens in families. But teens are not their target demo. Disney doesn't need to appeal to them specifically.
Because you're not just appealing to this demo. You're appealing to this demo who also have parents and younger siblings. More thrill rides at DHS gives these families a wider enjoyment spectrum and keeps them on the properties for longer. I'm not talking about building a park for 19 year olds who come alone. I'm talking about 12 - 17 year olds whose parents are footing the bill for the 7 days who also have an 8 year sibling. That's a large demographic that Universal is currently scooping up. Right now you've got mom and dad, 16 year old Billy and 8 year old Wendy and they're trying to come up with a week long family vacation in Orlando. Billy's getting bored after 2 days so they're only spending a couple days at DW and a couple days at Uni. Giving DHS more thrill rides keeps these families at DW for the whole 7 days.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
But is there even a battle? C'mon. Who's Winning?
Disney won a long time ago. Universal sucks. Thrill rides my toosh. Harry Potter is the only thing they have. I wish there was more theming and fun parades and fireworks. They don't even have the same amount of rides. Disney takes years to do. Universal...a few days. Bleh.

This is not a foot race where there is a final winner, it's a race without end, you have to continously work to maintain your lead. Disney is leading on overall attendance and due to the physical size of the resort probably always will, but Uni is stepping up thier game and starting to draw guests away from WDW for at least part of thier vacations. This will end up hurting Disney (and probably already is) unless they continue to improve thier product.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom