Why Epcot is Moving from "Infotainment"

kennyj29

Thrill Rides

I am so sick of hearing "If you want thrill rides go to Six Flags" !! Do you actually consider Disney a Thrill Park? Do you think if they put a couple of coaster's somewhere it will be considered a THRILL PARK? I seriously doubt it!!!!! I would hate a roller coaster in SE but It needs major revamping, as do a couple of others attractions there. I'm assuming you go during crowds because when I go in December it's empty. The other parks aren't empty but Epcot always is. Secondly, It's so nice to voice your opinion and people tell you to stay out of a park.........I think that is so lovely that they care about you so much that they tell you to stay out. The only people that should stay out of parks are people who cause trouble and I don't find that too much when I go there. Disney would never make a park a total THRILL Park, that's not what it's about. They might put a couple of THRILL rides in here and there throughout the parks but they would NEVER totally only put that in. IF they did then I would have to agree with you. Don't panic, it will never happen.

no2apprentice

Actually, I'm kind of curious to see how many complaints Disney gets about nausea and vomiting with MS (not that Disney will officially say anything). While it may pull less g-force then RnRC, there will be a far greater factor of "sensory conflict", which causes motion sickness.

And, before the flaming gets any worse, and Steve locks this thread, everyone needs to remember that we all love Disney. Some of the reasons are the same, some are different. We all have different opinions over what should happen in Epcot. But personal attacks are not allowed by the rules of this forum. Nor does it say alot about maturity.

Keep your comments civil, and agree to disagree. Please.

Dizknee_Phreek

i dunno, kenny! never say never! after all, it's Disney...they can do pretty much anything they want...they've shown us that time and time again.

and no2apprentice is right...it's not speed that makes people sick, it's the motions. with me, i can take RnRC, TT, you name it, and i'm fine, but i felt terrible after i rode Body Wars!

TinkerBell9988

Hey Kenny,

I'm sorry if the comments that I posted were meant against you. I know that we are equally major Disney fans, and I respect your thoughts. I don't want to get very much involved in this thread because it creates a lot of trouble between the forum members. We all love Disney, we are like a family. Sorry Kenny!

Sincerely, the Tink

Testtrack321

hehehe... sorry eveone. I get carried away on this topic. Granted, there should be a balance of thrill and tame rides, but back in the day of Walt, Peter Pan's flight was intense. Now RnR is.

Dizknee_Phreek

i'd have to disagree with you again, there testtrack...i know you probably weren't being literal (then again, you might've been) but rollercoasters and other 'intense' rides were going well before Walt concieved the idea of his own theme park. granted, they weren't as intense as today's coasters, but definately more so than Peter Pan's Flight :animwink:

CmdrTostada

Originally posted by spider-man
Some people find education quite enjoyable. In fact I'd say on the average the older you get the more you can appreciate and enjoy learning a few things at your leisure. Why not have one park that caters to this. There are 7 major parks in Orlando, One that is more educatonal ain't bad is it?

Looks like EPCOT didn't help you with not using the word aint:D
Im just kiddin with ya Spidey:p

Testtrack321

Originally posted by Dizknee_Phreek
i'd have to disagree with you again, there testtrack...i know you probably weren't being literal (then again, you might've been) but rollercoasters and other 'intense' rides were going well before Walt concieved the idea of his own theme park. granted, they weren't as intense as today's coasters, but definately more so than Peter Pan's Flight :animwink:

Just as though centerfuge's were operationg before M:S, but Disney brought them into the mainstream now with heavy themeing.

ToTBellHop

The $200m supposedly went toward making this ride not feel as though it is spinning...what may make people sick is the sustained zero-gravity, but, again...this will be no more intense than other Disney thrill rides, so expect the same amount on nausea. It will make some guests feel sick, but a small proportion of them...this is not as intense as a real space flight, mind you. Real spaceflights will sustain 4-5gs, not just 2.5gs. Disney has kept this in mind in designing the ride...most guests could not handle a true space flight.

JRead

DogsRule-- There wont be any sustained zero-gravity because there wont be any zero gravity. The impression of zero-G will come from the lack of rotation (slowing down) of the centrofudge. Whether or not this shift from higher Gs back down will cause nausia or not I have no idea.

kennyj29

Tink

I agree that Disney is going a different way at times then they did years ago but I honestly believe times have changed also. I don't want all thrill rides, that would be awful, that is not what Disney is about but if they add a couple that's okay with me also. I don't mean strip down all the great things they have but in Epcot's case, they already stripped down what I like and left a couple of things that really needed to be stripped down. I just wish they could add things without stripping everything. Do they have the space in each of those park areas to keep adding? I mean just around the park areas, I'm not talking about all of the "World"......do they honestly have the space to add? I know they have plenty of land but have they made the park areas as big as they could go in those spots? I'm just curious. I also agree that we are all big disney fans and have our own opinions but it seems when I use certain words people get offended. I don't want people to think I'm going after them because I'm not at all, when I use words like Pathetic it's because I feel a situation at Disney is not the whole park. I've spent so much money there in all the years I've gone sometimes you think that you should be part owner ........lol........anyway please don't take anything I say as a knock against Disney as a whole it's just about particular situation. I would never stop going to Disney...that is what gets me through the work weeks!!!!!!!!

Buford

Originally posted by Testtrack321
hehehe... sorry eveone. I get carried away on this topic. Granted, there should be a balance of thrill and tame rides, but back in the day of Walt, Peter Pan's flight was intense. Now RnR is.

But this is for different reasons - there are people who visit the parks for charm, others for thrill. Both offer excitement, but they are different degrees. It's hard to compare them this way, I believe.

ToTBellHop

If you study physics, you will realize that if the rate of spinning of a centrifuge is a constant, and you are on your back with your head pointed outward, the force of gravity on your body is exactly 0--the outward force on your body from the centrifuge cancels out the centripetal inward force. That is how a centrifuge works. That is why an ultracentrifuge can slow down without the pellet (like red blood cells) becoming resuspended. It also takes quite some time for a centrifuge to stop, which allows for lengthy periods of zero gravity. It is all a study of centripetal (and centrifugal) forces. This is why the cars are set up as they are--with guests originally facing inwards--so that they can tilt on their backs as the centrifuge accelerates. The centrifuge does not slow down to cause zero-gravity; rather, its speed remains constant. It must speed up to simulate negative g's, or decelerate to simulate negative g's

kennyj29

Dogsrule

How do you know so much about that? I am so impressed, when you start talking I feel so stupid. I know the concept of what your saying but you say it so elequently!!! (did I spell that right) Anyway, is it exactly how the astronauts feel? Is that what the whole thing is about? Is it just a tease as to what they are feeling when they take off? Is it just to give you an idea of what it would be like?

JRead

DogsRule-- I do not quite see how those forces in the Y cancel out the gravity working in the X. For example, in rides that spin to suspend you against a wall it's the force with the friction of the wall that keeps you from falling down. But you aren't weightless, you're still affected by earth's gravity. Please explain.

EchoOfOphelia

That was extremely well said and I completely agree with you. All the new technologies and such are so widely available to us that we no longer think its fun and exciting to learn new things on vacation. Rides like The Land, Universe of Energy, Spaceship Earth, and most of Wonders of Life are probably going to soon be a thing of the past.

Well I have faith in Disney, MOST of their new rides are fantastic like Test Track and Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin (one of my new favorites) are very good... however I worry when I see rehabs like Winnie the Pooh's Adventures and Energy with Ellen and Bill Nye.

Oh well... As long as they don't touch Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean, I agree with you! :lol:

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by JRead
DogsRule-- I do not quite see how those forces in the Y cancel out the gravity working in the X. For example, in rides that spin to suspend you against a wall it's the force with the friction of the wall that keeps you from falling down. But you aren't weightless, you're still affected by earth's gravity. Please explain.

Well, there is a slight downward force, but you don't really feel that over the outward force. For example--the college physics example. Tie an eraser or ANY mass to a string and swing it around your head to a high speed. Then stop moving your hand and let it free spin. For a very small period of time, most of the force you will feel will be outward, before you start feeling more of earth's gravity and the eraser falls. Well, in a centrifuge, they are able to decrease air resistance and friction to a great degree, so the free spinning can last longer. Also, the masses are greater, which further decreases the effects of gravity. It's kind of like what you see with satellites in space. They travel at 19000 mph. Once the speed gets that great, the force of gravity becomes basically zero--otherwise, we would always have satellites crashing into earth--same with the moon...it doesn't crash into us. If you want to tie this to the three body diagram (people wrapping around a centrifuge wrapping around earth) imagine an asteroid that comes by earth, swooping around it based on the Earth's gravitational field. In theory, it should slam into the sun, shouldn't it? Shouldn't the sun have a stronger gravitational field than earth, just like earth should have a greater influence on the people in the centrifuge than the spinning itself? It doesn't. Every asteroid that flies around Earth does not slam into the sun...there is always a certain acceleration due to the Sun, but its effects are pretty minimal. Will this be exactly like flying...not quite, but the closest you can get. Think about it...the effects of earth holding you into your seat here would be roughly the same in space--yet people float. Spinning can simulate any type of gravity you want--in a space station, if you have it shaped like a circle and it spins, you will have gravity in there...people walk along the outside walls, because the centrifugal forces hold you down. They can pretty much negate any forces from earth. It's amazing what centripetal and centrifugal forces can do.

By the way, I am a bio major, and a chem and physics minor.

JRead

Great info, dogsrule, really interesting. Are you at Rochester U? I have a friend there and I'm here at Syracuse University. I'm a Theatrical Design/Tech major and I'm debating a physics or engineering minor (obvious plans to work for imagineering if I can).

ToTBellHop

I go to St. Lawrence University...in the frozen arctic of New York's North Country...north of the Adirondacks. Canton, NY is the college town. Glad my physics courses came in handy:) Disney really has this all perfect. As posted in another post, a really good NASA centrifuge has a diameter of 58 feet, whereas I figured out our centrifuges will have a diameter of 78 feet...heightens the effects of the centrifuge, just like what happens as you move further away from the Earth's center of mass.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom