Why Epcot is Moving from "Infotainment"

PaisleyMF

i like the idea of converting EPCOT into a tv studio, but let's face one thing is important to the life of Epcot the people and how we change in a decade, there has been 3 mayor changes in the park on the past 20 years Mission: Space, Test Track and Journey... the big changes chould be more frequent, to be with what we can imagine for the next 5 or six years.

Lets face it more than Spaceship Earth or whatever Project Gemini what's to do, there are areas more important that need a new lease of life Wonder Of Life, Living Seas, Universe of Energy (does it still has Ellen?)and The Land!!! What about them...

Why not make the Living Seas more like a Jules Verne or the Decorations of Atlantis (movie) that Chrome and Glass feeling just like Tomorrowland over MK... whatvere else that really need to be done should be done, lets wait for Epcot 30 for TiMe Racers or Soarring... lets get on with what Epcot Need, lets breing the Center and make it more edutaiment more interactive more Disney!!!!

That's my opinion I could be Wrong

imagineer boy

Originally posted by PaisleyMF
i like the idea of converting EPCOT into a tv studio, but let's face one thing is important to the life of Epcot the people and how we change in a decade, there has been 3 mayor changes in the park on the past 20 years Mission: Space, Test Track and Journey... the big changes chould be more frequent, to be with what we can imagine for the next 5 or six years.

Lets face it more than Spaceship Earth or whatever Project Gemini what's to do, there are areas more important that need a new lease of life Wonder Of Life, Living Seas, Universe of Energy (does it still has Ellen?)and The Land!!! What about them...

Why not make the Living Seas more like a Jules Verne or the Decorations of Atlantis (movie) that Chrome and Glass feeling just like Tomorrowland over MK... whatvere else that really need to be done should be done, lets wait for Epcot 30 for TiMe Racers or Soarring... lets get on with what Epcot Need, lets breing the Center and make it more edutaiment more interactive more Disney!!!!

Epcot is not 100% Sci Fi like Tomorrowland. Epcot is mostly based on FACT not science fiction.

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by PaisleyMF

Universe of Energy was just redone only a few years back (96?), and it is still relatively popular...I know I like it...I also still enjoy The Land, so while it could possibly use a new show or two, I don't really find any major faults in there. The only places that are in major need of help are Living Seas and Wonders of Life...I would prefer for Living Seas to be completely demolished with a new (better) aquarium at Animal Kingdom opening in its place. Then, they could put Soarin' next to The Land. As for Wonders of Life...I dunno. I still like Cranium Command, so maybe a slightly less 80s look would be enough for that. Body Wars could use new theming and a new video (in the great scheme of things, not a BIG project) and the overall main pavillion could use a new paint job and replacements for everything that is broken (which is just about everything in there)...with the medical sciences changing daily, Disney could really do a lot with this pavilion...just get a pharmaceutical to sponsor it; they have no shortage of money...

Um...

whatever, who wants to live in a world where everything stays the same? Truly not I, and defenitely not Walt. You people need to stop being so uptight about nostalgia. You know its Disney, these people do great work, so give them a chance. I bet you a million dollars, when everything is complete, you will be amazed, its plain and simple. A world without change is a boring world. Change makes everything worthwhile. Its waking up in the morning and thinking, yesterday was good, lets make today BETTER! So think of it like this, current Epcot is great, but imagine the possibilities of what it COULD BE! I say lets wait and see, and embrace the new concepts. Walt would want it that way.

Re: Um...

Originally posted by ArchiDanDisney
whatever, who wants to live in a world where everything stays the same? Truly not I, and defenitely not Walt. You people need to stop being so uptight about nostalgia. You know its Disney, these people do great work, so give them a chance. I bet you a million dollars, when everything is complete, you will be amazed, its plain and simple. A world without change is a boring world. Change makes everything worthwhile. Its waking up in the morning and thinking, yesterday was good, lets make today BETTER! So think of it like this, current Epcot is great, but imagine the possibilities of what it COULD BE! I say lets wait and see, and embrace the new concepts. Walt would want it that way.

Change can be a wonderful thing. Change for changes' sake can be a very dangerous thing. I don't mind the idea of change for Epcot, for it was meant to grow and adapt with the times. My worry is that the changes are not well planned to uphold Epcot's rich history of making learning fun and exciting. In a way it is nostalgia, I suppose. Nostalgia for the quality of attractions that made Epcot and Walt Disney World so phenominal. I look at the recent changes and worry that this quality has been exchanged for a quick and easy buck. Just my opinion...

Been to JIYI lately? Seriously, so far they have closed several rides in MK and turned them into meet and greet areas, opened a ride (Test Track) that seems to be broken more than it's running, and had to update JIYI very soon after it opened because of poor customer response to the "quality". I can but hope that MS will not disapoint.

WDWGarden

When Epcot opened, it had NO E-ticket rides. (by today's definition)

Of the 8 major attractions in FW, 4 have been significantly rehabed since opening. 2 have been E-tix (TT & M:S). The other 2 continue to be Dark rides. Neither of the e-tix are Six Flags sit-in-a-car-go-really-fast-get-off-the-ride attractions. Both have educational value. It might not be as complex a message, but there is information to be gained. Adding a few e-tix to Epcot really adds some much needed balance to the park.

I think we really need to take a moment and step back from the SE "coaster" rumour. Coaster does not necessarily mean steel tracks and 70 mph. Wouldn't it be incredible if WDI could design an attraction that is exciting, educational, AND able to be ridden by all. THAT'S the next big thing! And SE is the place to make it happen. Just because someone used the word "coaster" in an e-mail or a conversation doesn't mean steel tracks circling our beloved golf ball.

no2apprentice

Originally posted by WDWGarden
When Epcot opened, it had NO E-ticket rides. (by today's definition)

Of the 8 major attractions in FW, 4 have been significantly rehabed since opening. 2 have been E-tix (TT & M:S). The other 2 continue to be Dark rides.
Minor thread drift here, but for me (and maybe others) an E-ticket attraction is one involving WDI projects at it's best. PotC and HM are "dark rides", but are definately E-ticket attractions. So are COP (when it's open) and GMR. As well as many of the attractions that opened in Epcot. Speed and rails doesn't mean E-ticket.

MKCustodial

Re: Um...

Originally posted by ArchiDanDisney

Hey, I'll take you on that bet, I sure could use the money! :lol: The only way I'll accept (note "accept", not "be happy") with Time Racers is if it's not a coaster, and since Steve got from one of his sources that it is a coaster, unless WDI has something up their sleeves so unique that'll reinvent our concept of coasters, I have no reason to doubt our man.

Have you guys read "Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom"? I'm somewhere into Chapter 7, and I think the story is getting to me more because of this whole Epcot deal we're going through. It pretty much exemplifies what the love for WDW is. It's not nostalgia, it's respecting a vision. Tower of Terror, Splash Mountain, heck even Pooh are all new attractions that were able to keep Disney's original idea of what his parks should be. So you can have new things without selling your soul to the demon of cheap thrills.

kennyj29

Change

First of all my first post was a little bit sarcastic. And secondly, I love the old nostogic Disney, it was originally what brought us all there. I'm no young chicken you know. I'm 49 years old!!! Epcot needs change, no matter what anyone says about it, it needs change, it's the worst park there and you HAVE to bring people back into it......the only time that park is full is when dinner time comes and Illuminations comes. Otherwise it's pathetic.

ToTBellHop

Re: Change

Originally posted by kennyj29
First of all my first post was a little bit sarcastic. And secondly, I love the old nostogic Disney, it was originally what brought us all there. I'm no young chicken you know. I'm 49 years old!!! Epcot needs change, no matter what anyone says about it, it needs change, it's the worst park there and you HAVE to bring people back into it......the only time that park is full is when dinner time comes and Illuminations comes. Otherwise it's pathetic.

You are starting to get a little ridiculous...some of you are acting as though this park is a piece of garbage that Disney should knock down and start over. You seem to forget that World Showcase is still one of the most beautiful places in the "World" to take a stroll through. The park is still amazing, as the second most popular park at wdw. Does it need changes? Yes. So does every theme or amusement park ON THE PLANET. If you think the park is that bad, do Disney a favor and start calling up big companies like Intel, Pfizer, jetBlue (I think they may be a good pick for a sponsor in the next few years...) and ask them to put forward money to build new attractions. It is easier said than done.

People need to stop acting like Disney has cheap, crappy parks--they still are the best in the world, and no other amusement company would dare question that (not even Universal...). Epcot is still amazing, and you and I both know we all have a great time at Epcot when we are there...very much like Californians at Cali Adventure (yes, they DO have a great time there...)

Goofster

Wow, this is a really interesting debate going on here, unfortunately, it seems like no one's mind can possibly be changed, there are those who want EPCOT to stay educational with out letting thrill rides take over the great educational rides of EPCOT Center, and there are those who think Epcot is in need of help, and Imagineering is capable of delivering some big rides that will bring in crowds. But like I said, everyone here has their heart set on their position, and nobody is gonna change anybody else's mind.

What's my thought?
Well, I love Spaceship Earth, and think it is a great way to start your day at Epcot. It's fun, educational, and magical. If Disney rehabs all the classic attractions in Future World, this one should be the last to go, but still, it seems Disney may be rehabbing all the pavillions in Future World soon, so SE as we know it is probably leaving. In that case, like MKCustodial said, in the past few years Disney has delivered some great, classic, magical rides like ToT, Splash Mtn, and Pooh, and I have faith that if they were going to take out one of the best rides in Epcot (and most loved by Disney fans) they would replace it with one heck of a ride. Will it be a coaster, i doubt it, and hope not, but if it is, it will definitely not be a coaster in the sense we all have known in the past.

I'm sure soon enough, Disney will find a balance of Thrills and Education and the spirit of the city of EPCOT Center will live on.

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by Goofster
I'm sure soon enough, Disney will find a balance of Thrills and Education and the spirit of the city of EPCOT Center will live on.

A balance is the key. A park that has received Test Track, Mission: SPACE, and will receive Soarin' next (no doubt in my mind that it is the next attraction to open here), does it make sense to make yet another thrill ride? Don't get me wrong...I love thrill rides, but it does not seem like a balance to turn Future World into the thrill capital of the universe while World Showcase stays exactly the same as it has since 1989...perhaps if Soarin' goes to World Showcase, then I could see a new thrill ride popping up in Future World.

Someone brought up the fact that Time Racers was the original project name for Rocket Rods. Perhaps Disney is planning to build Rocket Rods again, this time at Epcot, only as it was originally supposed to be (incredible)--a time travel ride. That could be incredible (remember that had Rocket Rods been executed correctly, it could have been one of the best rides at Disneyland). Just a thought on a coincidence.

Wouldn't a ride based on time travel be a perfect way to introduce guests to the wonders of Future World...i.e. to transport them there...

WDWGarden

Originally posted by no2apprentice
Minor thread drift here, but for me (and maybe others) an E-ticket attraction is one involving WDI projects at it's best. Speed and rails doesn't mean E-ticket.

Agreed...I didn't like that line when I wrote it! I think by true definition, all the FW attract. are e-tickets. What I mean to say is there were no thrill rides (don't like this characterization either, some think this means brainless coasters, which WDW still has zero) . All fun and often funny, but not typically thrilling.

Dizknee_Phreek

i agree with those that disagreed! the point of Epcot was not to educate people on what they didn't already know, but to show that education could be fun! it was to show people how to learn from a different perspective; to make them a part of the lesson. now i don't know about anybody else, but the schools i've attended throughout the years, my teachers didn't have a magic vehicle to take us through the years of travel or discovery, or to show us just exactly what we could do with our imaginations. even riding through The Land is more action-packed than sitting through most of my classes! honestly, i've ridden The Land maybe once during all my 14 trips to WDW, and that was probably one of my first trips, and i STILL remember some of the things in there...like the set up of the prairie, and the plants they were growing in the air...but i can't tell you one thing i learned in chemistry last year (maybe not a good example, but still, you get my point, hopefully) there certainly is a difference between education and learning, and Epcot showed that to at least me. i just don't understand why they think learning is 'outdated' now.

and i also disagree with why Test Track has the longest lines....sure it's a thrill ride, and i'm sure that's a reason why everyone flocks to it...but ya gotta remember, it's Epcot's ONLY thrill ride...of course thrill seekers are going to hit it up, probably more than once! and too, it's still new, even though it opened several years ago. there's still people out there who's never ridden it before, so they're going to be curious. ok, let's say that in your local area, there's a K-Mart that was built in the 80's. right beside that, there's a Wal-Mart that opened in the mid-90's...let's just say that they offer the exact same items at the exact same price...which one are you most likely to go to? most likely, Wal-Mart. but let's say that they just opened a Target right beside Wal-Mart and the new Target offers the exact same things at the same exact price...which one are you likely to go to then? my bet would be Target...it's shiny, it's new, it's more up to date, but it still has the same function...i just don't see why Epcot can pull off the same...
i'm hoping i made sense here and that you all don't think i'm a complete looney :hammer: :D ;)

ToTBellHop

Test Track is now four years old. The fact that it is moderately new doesn't necessarily make it popular--plenty of new rides have flopped. Cali Adventure opened two years ago and its popularity has dwindled...many of the most popular disney rides are not new...Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Splash, Big Thunder, Peter Pan, Space, Tower of Terror, etc. Despite what people may say, Test Track is genuinely a fun ride, and very family-friendly (not too intense, but still a heck of a lot of fun). I don't want to get into an argument over whether or not Test Track is good and how you can hop in your car and experience it...don't want to do it. We have had that argument too many times. Guests like Test Track. It is that simple. There are four parks at Walt Disney World--nobody is making them ride.

DVC Member

When we pay our annual dues and park hopper prices, i contribute to the company. I trust the imagineers with my money, its eisner that sometimes concerns me. Here is a story my pops told me from a trip we took then when i was a wee archidan. The parade they used to have on the seven seas lagoon at night, with the lights, well we went once, and out comes Mike on his pontoon boat, parks his bald head right in front of the darn show so no one could watch. I dunno why i posted that actually

skipperg

Lighten Up and Enjoy

Epcot may be more educational to many. Enjoy it, you don't have to take a test or get a passing grade. Just have fun.

As much as people push the Educational Aspect of Epcot, it took the tour "Hidden Treasures of the World Showcase" to explain much of the Worlds Showcase to me. I am a slow learner, but I do wish that Disney provided the information that was given to us on the tour in the park maps.

It is easier for a Camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven!

A hint. The answer can be found at the World Showcase in Morocco!

Enjoy!

Joe Gudac
gudac@charter.net

PaisleyMF

Originally posted by imagineer boy
Epcot is not 100% Sci Fi like Tomorrowland. Epcot is mostly based on FACT not science fiction.

What i meant about was the look for "LVING SEAS" and not all and ot bace it on fiction but the facts, is just that the Chrome and Glass look is so spectacular that i will fit right in into "LIVIN SEAS

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom