Why Epcot is Moving from "Infotainment"

JRead

Originally posted by Raidermatt
I was being somewhat facetious....sorry that didn't come across.

No, 'new' alone does not necessarily even create lines, much less drive attendance. The points in that statement were:

1. A long line is not necessarily an indicator that people want things just like that attraction.

2. "New" is ONE of the components people want when they go to theme parks. Not that they want everything to be changed, but they do want to see something new and exciting (note, exciting does not necessarily mean physical thrills) periodically, mixed in with the classic favorites.

I definately agree.

WDWspider

Originally posted by Raidermatt
I was being somewhat facetious....sorry that didn't come across.

No, 'new' alone does not necessarily even create lines, much less drive attendance. The points in that statement were:

1. A long line is not necessarily an indicator that people want things just like that attraction.

2. "New" is ONE of the components people want when they go to theme parks. Not that they want everything to be changed, but they do want to see something new and exciting (note, exciting does not necessarily mean physical thrills) periodically, mixed in with the classic favorites.

Oh... I got you. ;) Sorry, I misunderstood. Now I totally agree. :)

kennyj29

DCA

DCA is a failure? I didn't realize that. When we go to California's Disney in 2005, we were so looking forward to that. Magic Kingdom is great but being DisneyWorld lovers, I don't think one park would do it for me........I think you definitely need more than one park. I can't wait to go to Disneyland but I also can't wait to see California Adventure......are they losing money on it? Please Explain!

Buford

Remember why Magic Kingdom is such a popular park...it's a place where the family can have fun...together. It really is...for there is so much there...I don't mean split ups, I mean TOGETHER. :D

I hope we may never lose sight of some of the things of the past... ;)

Testtrack321

As said before, long lines dosn't equal popular. Although Pooh has 50 min lines, Toad had two tracks (but smaller cars). So bascily, people like Pooh and connect more with Pooh rather than Toad, especially since he hasn't had a TV show on Disney Channel and countless DTV movies.

But look at Pooh darn-it. It's a better ride than Toad. The very few people who still diss Pooh and Toads removal don't want to move forward.

Also, thrill dosn't equal *new* or entertaining. Sure, people now want and have a bigger thrill factor when they go to parks over Disney's old rides (admit it, if they released Mission to Mars now, everyone will be crying murder.) As long as they create things for everyone to ride, then there is nothing to worry about.

Becky

Yes Walt wanted some parts of his parks to evolve. But he also wanted much of his dream to remain forever as he designed it. Thus Main Street USA.

Long lines do not necessaraly equal popularity. Often it is more a measure of ride capacity. For example only six people can ride each TT car and it must stop to be loaded/unloaded. Whereas SSE is and Horizons and WoM were continuous load rides thus having shorter lines while at the same time serving more people.

My final thought. With more room than Manhattan Island why must they destroy in order to build?:(

Raidermatt

I can't wait to go to Disneyland but I also can't wait to see California Adventure......are they losing money on it?
Its hard to say exactly how well each park is performing financially, but attendance at DCA is FAR below the initial expectations, even with decreased pricing.

Its not that it is "BAD", but most feel it was far from Disney's best effort, and was the victim of budget cuts and a "shopping mall" mentality. But if you are going to the DLResort anyway, you should still check out DCA and decide for yourself.

JRead

Re: DCA

Originally posted by kennyj29
DCA is a failure? I didn't realize that. When we go to California's Disney in 2005, we were so looking forward to that. I can't wait to go to Disneyland but I also can't wait to see California Adventure......are they losing money on it? Please Explain!

There's prescedent for park's doing major turn arounds, such as when Disneyland Paris was EuroDisney, but as of right now attendance is far lower than hoped. I should say for the record that though I thought the park needed more I thought it was a decent park. I enjoyed the Grizzley River Rapids, California Screamin', and Soarin' very much. I think when there ToT opens it will be a major boost.

Dizknee_Phreek

Raidermatt, i TOTALLY agree!!! WELL said! :sohappy: you've brought up some excellent points!

as have you, Becky! and i agree with you as well! btw, good question...i've always wondered that myself...evolution i suppose.

but i'm wondering...sure, the popularity of FW is dwendling...is it because of the educational value? as i've said before, i strongly doubt it. there's no way i can exactly pin point what went wrong (personally, i think it all started when they closed the original JII...but that's just me) BUT look at WS...very, very educational and still very, very popular! not that many attractions, definately no 'thrill' attractions, AND anything we could learn from the pavilions, we could easily find on the internet or TV (of course, except for the food taste tests) so, both FW and WS have (may be had in FW's case) great educational values...so why is one still very popular and the other isn't?

Raidermatt

There's prescedent for park's doing major turn arounds, such as when Disneyland Paris was EuroDisney...
I know we're drifting off-topic here, but the main problems at EuroDisney had more to do with the hotels than with the park itself...

Raidermatt

so, both FW and WS have (may be had in FW's case) great educational values...so why is one still very popular and the other isn't?
Good question, here are my "theories", in no particular order other than the order in which they popped into my noodle:

1. WS has Illuminations, a wonderful evening-ending event.

2. WS has much less area and narrower walkways, making it feel more crowded/popular. (Try going to WS at 11:30am...not so crowded)

3. WS has many excellent restaurants, which draws many people in, even if only for part of the day.

4. Even though we can see depictions of these countries on TV, its quite another thing to see them in person, and interact with them. WS doesn't provide the real thing, but it does provide an in-person "reader's digest" version, and you don't have to bring an adapter for your electrical appliances!:animwink: Same reason why there is so much interest in Mission:Space. Certainly we can see many depictions of space and spaceflight on TV, but we still want to experience it and see it in 3d form for ourselves (or at least a Disneyfied version).

Dizknee_Phreek

all very true, Raidermatt! again, good points!

BUT at the same time, there's stuff popping up now about updates to SE...we don't get to experience the past, but in SE we do...now, i know, it is really quite different for several reasons...one, we're very breifly viewing it and we don't really get to take our time to explore...and two, it's obviously recreated with animatronics and not real, interactive human beings. i might've actually just answered myself there. you getting my drift though? we're experiencing something we don't normally get to...and even though we learn about it in history books, in SE it's brought to us in 3-d and movement. but the same thing went for Horizons and WoM, too! lol, i really have no idea where i'm going with this...so i think i'll just end it here :hammer: :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom