Why Doesn't Moracco or Norway light up for Illuminations?

EpcotMark

Original Poster

I think the question speaks for itself. It seems demeaning to these countries for excluding them from the rest of the Reflections of Earth celebration.

dxwwf3

Not sure about Norway, but I know for Morocco it is because the buildings have religious significance. I don't know if it's the same thing with the Stave Church or not, but I know Morocco for a fact because I did a research paper that dealt with the Epcot pavilion in my Middle Eastern history class :lol:

cm1988

LaserPhonic Fantasy

Originally, Epcot had "LaserPhonic Fantasy"... lasers, water, fireworks and music. A couple of years into that, they decided to tweak the music a bit and put lights onto (i.e. Illuminate) all of the World Showcase pavilions; hence, Illuminations.

I remember visiting the park a few times when the cranes were hanging lights around WS. It was before Morocco or Norway.

When they added pavilions after that, further show lighting was not added.

EpcotGrl

I think the question speaks for itself. It seems demeaning to these countries for excluding them from the rest of the Reflections of Earth celebration.

Morocco doesn't light up because the main "building" is a replica of the Katoubia Minaret (prayer tower) from Marrakesh. Because of its important religious significance, it is not lit up during IllumiNations (to light it up would, in fact, be demeaning).

I haven't heard a thing about Norway, though, and always thought Morocco was the only one that didn't light up. Guess I'll have to check that out in October! :) :wave:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Morocco doesn't light up because the main "building" is a replica of the Katoubia Minaret (prayer tower) from Marrakesh. Because of its important religious significance, it is not lit up during IllumiNations (to light it up would, in fact, be demeaning).

I haven't heard a thing about Norway, though, and always thought Morocco was the only one that didn't light up. Guess I'll have to check that out in October! :) :wave:
This is correct. Norway is not lit simply to add a bit of symmetry.

MattyFresh

wow I guess you do learn something new everyday. I had never really noticed that neither one lit up....and I was standing in front of Norway last summer for Illuminations. :lookaroun

Cinderelly07

No Lights

They don't light up because of the religious implications. We asked that question on an illuminations cruise and we then read that in a Disney fact book. :animwink:

theRIOT

Both are due to religious reasons.

The Morocco one as stated above, and Norway, because the front of the pavilliob is a replica of a Stave church.

Just my $.02 cents.

Cheers!

CrashNet

Bingo. Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

And you are right as well Master Yoda (oh the irony of that statement :lol:.) Norway is not lit simply for symetrical reasons.

Another little piece of trivia for ya: every country in World Showcase is represented at some point during the video on the globe except Morocco for the same reason the pavilion is not lit.

SpenceMan01

Originally, Epcot had "LaserPhonic Fantasy"... lasers, water, fireworks and music. A couple of years into that, they decided to tweak the music a bit and put lights onto (i.e. Illuminate) all of the World Showcase pavilions; hence, Illuminations.

I remember visiting the park a few times when the cranes were hanging lights around WS. It was before Morocco or Norway.

When they added pavilions after that, further show lighting was not added.

That's the reasoning I've always heard. This "religious reasons" explaination smells a bit like a Bar of Soap to me.

CrashNet

I can assure you that at least for Morocco, it is not.
I can as well. It's not so much religion as it is their heritage and cultural beliefs. You will never, ever, see Morocco lit up for as long as the pavilion exists in World Showcase.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Morocco - religion. Norway - timing. GE sponsored IllumiNations, and part of Laserphonics overhaul for the January `88 premiere of Ill` was the fitting of lighting and special visual effects to each pavilion. Morocco was still a no-no, and Norway was still under conctruction. The show was never programmed to accept a late comer to the party, and so the appropiate lighting was never added.

Someone tell Siemens!

JeffH

UK was not part of the original shows

The show was never programmed to accept a late comer to the party
The UK was not part of the original shows, but later was added (much later)
I believe they were left out for the "ran out of money" excuse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom