Why does the Boardwalk have no atmosphere?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I will say out right that aesthetically the Boardwalk is very nice. The rooms are comfortable and well appointed the staff typically Disney
BUT......

I just thought that the place had no soul. The atmosphere I felt was sterile and up tight and largely IMHO down to all amenities being on the boardwalk.

I enjoy a spladoosh in the pool post park and have enjoyed this at all resorts we have stayed at, many having a great atmosphere with punters doing the same as us. Not at the boardwalk. Most night the quiet pool was deserted and the main pool had a handful of guests.

In the public areas there were few exchanges of pleasantries and far too many people who felt that elevators were for single person use.

I don’t think Id stay there again. Too many people too far up their own flew Wilderness lodge or the Campground for us in the future
:drevil:

The Mom

Premium Member
I'm not sure it's the people so much as the layout. Although I like the Boardwalk, and will stay there again, I also find it one of the most confusing resorts to get around in.

It's nice to have several restaurants nearby, but I also dislike having to go outside to get anything to eat. I'm surprised the the main pool was deserted; it's always been quite busy when I've been there.

I feel that the atmosphere is very similar to the Beach and Yacht Club across the way, but I rather like their layout better. And I definitely like the pool more.

Upvote 0

disneydom

No atmosphere I can't beleve it , we've met many great people, lots of fun and we have used the quiet pool at nite for a swim and some wine, maybe you just were there at the wrong time:hammer:

Upvote 0

4 Disney Nuts

We love the Boardwalk! The atmosphere, pool, dining, and being able to walk to Epcot and MGM is why we keep going back. We have stayed there 3 times the past 2 years. We love to finish our long days at the park by sitting on the Boardwalk watching the nightly entertainment.

Upvote 0

reptar77

I have always found the Boardwalk to be wonderful. I do not think that any other resort except the grandflo has such a beautiful lobby. I would agree that during the day there doesn't seem to be much going on but everywhere you walk you can here music playing and everyone seems very relaxed. At night you really cannot beat the entertainment.
This is one of my favorite resorts.

Upvote 0

scpergj

different opinion

I took my wife there the first weekend of August for our anniversery (and our first time EVER away from our kids, 8 and 4). We loved it! Every time we walked by the pool it was crowded (but we didn't go there at night, we were in the parks until they closed), the people were nice enough, and the evening entertainment was cool, too. We did find it to be a bit older of a crowd, not as many kids, but that could just be the number of rooms, too.

The only place I've been uncomfortable on Disney property is the Grand Floridian...but I think that was more me than anything (or anyone) there.

Kevin

Upvote 0

WishinUponAStar

Wow, pretty ironic considering my husband and I were discussing this today. We just returned from an 8 night stay at the Boardwalk Villas for the first time. We thought we were going to discover a new favorite resort.. WRONG! It was confusing to get around, the pool was always deserted, the Keister Coaster was always closed by the time we went down to the pool, the bus service stunk, nobody really talked to each other (we usually end up making neighborly friends at other resorts), we had mold in our bathroom shower/tub (and a pretty decent amount), and kinda felt the same "cold" feeling you did Nakasak. Our other big quam was on a longer stay like that there is usually some downtime at the resort where you would get "counter service." Well, the Boardwalk Bakery was "out of sandwiches" on 2 different occassions we tried, and with the DDP you only get one slice of pizza as a counter service credit at the pizza window. For me, I'd still be hungry after a long day of walking around, and those are the only two counter service options at the Boardwalk.

In the 23 years of Disney trips I've been making this is the FIRST time we've EVER had to speak to a manager about our experience.

Oh well, we may give it another try somewhere down the line but for now will probably continue to stick to our other favorite resorts; WL, AKL, and SSR.

Upvote 0

DigitalDisney

The boardwalk itself has a ton of atmosphere. It's active, it's bright, it's lively. Maybe it's a little too active? Having the busy lake and the other resorts in the area don't help either.

However, I can understand the rest of the resort not having a whole lot of atmosphere. From what I've seen, there isn't a whole lot outside of the lobby, pool, and boardwalk. I think that's true for most of the single-building resorts, but moreso for the Boardwalk. I believe that WL and AKL are the biggest exceptions to this rule.

The resorts that are separated into buildings have a ton of atmosphere between every building. Even the budget resorts have great theming all over the place, and not just the main areas.

Upvote 0

jonesenon4

:sohappy: we had dinner at spoodles on the boardwalk last year loved the food and resturant hated the boardwalk itself. we were there primetime evening and the place was dead dead dead. and like others have said the people that were there had thier noses so far in the air if it rained they would have drowned.next trip 26 days wilderness lodge can hardly wait.:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Ciciwoowoo

We are DVC members, and the Boardwalk is our home. We love it there!

I wonder if it makes a difference if you stay at the Villas or in the hotel part? The reason I ask is we really never noticed the things you did. The quiet pool is usually quiet, but we like it that way.

I do have to say the first time we stayed there, we didn't like it. But it was a few years back, during a tropical storm or hurricane, and it rained insanely the whole trip!

You really have to experience the Boardwalk at night to fall in love with it. Grab a slice of pizza, pull up a table, and just people watch. The shows really do make the difference.

Oh, one bad thing that happened to us last time. The people who stayed next door to us liked to go out on the balcony and smoke "the funny stuff". It bothered me very much, and I wanted to report them, but we decided to just let them be, and kept my son inside when we started to smell it.

Upvote 0

Computer Magic

I agree with the OP and Mom of this thread. We stayed there in May 05 and won't stay there again. The room was plain and actually a little dirty. I don't like going out into the main boardwalk to get items, food and beverage. The refill mug was outside so we didn't bother. Even the package pickup was out of the way.

I love the Epcot resort area, but for the same money I can stay and Yacht and BC.

Upvote 0

socalkdg

Its really a DVC resort first, unlike WL and BC. The main pool is surrounded by the villas, the community center is there for DVC members, and there is more activity on this side of BW as opposed to the Inn side. I've stayed twice as a DVC member and love it. The days were spent at the pool(where you mug could be refilled) or at the parks while night time was either at Epcot or on the Boardwalk. Next trip its across the pond to BCV so I'll have that to compare.

I stayed at WL(lodge two days, villas two days) and thats a place I can do without. Thats what is great about WDW, so many choices that everyone should be able to find something that appeals to them.

Upvote 0

nyy102

I personally feel that the physical boardwalk has tons of atmosphere and restaurants and can be fun, but it seems to be designed more to work alone, as does Downtown Disney, than to work within the confines of presenting highly accessible amenities to guests of the Boardwalk Resort, whose atmosphere I feel is dead. Boardwalks themselves are cool, but it is not a good idea for the theming of a resort, just as it is not a good idea for the theming of a land in an amusement park (cough Paradise Pier cough). Both the resort and the amusement park land give off a much more distant and cold feel than the areas aroudn them. To me, the Boardwalk pool looks completely fake and has that awful carnival look to it, which I feel is cheap and tasteless compared to other Disney theming. The same holds true for Paradise Pier, which consists of unthemed (except for name) carnival attractions, which just is not Disney. Also, some people have complained of it being dirty or moldy, which just screams carny, and that's never a good thing.

Upvote 0

jedimaster1227

I myself was rather impressed by the Boardwalk and its surroundings when I last visited it (which was my first time). I ended up coming back to sit on the beach (artificial beach) in front of it and enjoy the company of my friends. It is a very nice place to just relax.

Upvote 0

Baums101

I will say out right that aesthetically the Boardwalk is very nice. The rooms are comfortable and well appointed the staff typically Disney
BUT......

I just thought that the place had no soul. The atmosphere I felt was sterile and up tight and largely IMHO down to all amenities being on the boardwalk.

I enjoy a spladoosh in the pool post park and have enjoyed this at all resorts we have stayed at, many having a great atmosphere with punters doing the same as us. Not at the boardwalk. Most night the quiet pool was deserted and the main pool had a handful of guests.

In the public areas there were few exchanges of pleasantries and far too many people who felt that elevators were for single person use.

I don’t think Id stay there again. Too many people too far up their own flew Wilderness lodge or the Campground for us in the future
:drevil:
Okay. That is your opinion so I will just say you are entitled to your opinion. I myself adore it.

Upvote 0

GoofyFan1

Wow, pretty ironic considering my husband and I were discussing this today. We just returned from an 8 night stay at the Boardwalk Villas for the first time. We thought we were going to discover a new favorite resort.. WRONG! It was confusing to get around, the pool was always deserted, the Keister Coaster was always closed by the time we went down to the pool, the bus service stunk, nobody really talked to each other (we usually end up making neighborly friends at other resorts), we had mold in our bathroom shower/tub (and a pretty decent amount), and kinda felt the same "cold" feeling you did Nakasak. Our other big quam was on a longer stay like that there is usually some downtime at the resort where you would get "counter service." Well, the Boardwalk Bakery was "out of sandwiches" on 2 different occassions we tried, and with the DDP you only get one slice of pizza as a counter service credit at the pizza window. For me, I'd still be hungry after a long day of walking around, and those are the only two counter service options at the Boardwalk.

In the 23 years of Disney trips I've been making this is the FIRST time we've EVER had to speak to a manager about our experience.

Oh well, we may give it another try somewhere down the line but for now will probably continue to stick to our other favorite resorts; WL, AKL, and SSR.

We were there in July and we were not impressed. This was the first time I ever spoke to the manager about a stay on property. For what you pay you should not have to wait an hour for a bus to MK. We wasted more time waiting for transportation that we were forced to cancel several dining times.
To end on a positive note: I did love walking to Epcot.

Upvote 0

Pongo

I've never stayed at the Boardwalk Inn, but I've visited it plenty of times.

Personally, I'm not a fan. I REALLY dislike the lobby. The first time I stepped foot in it I thought it was small and cramped and very anti-climactic. The only thing I like about it is the round couch thing.

The Boardwalk itself has a bit of character and atmosphere to it, but I don't think it's living up to it's full potential. I like the occasional walk past the shops and restaurants, but I can only handle so much. I wouldn't want to stay there. I love the Epcot resort area and it's proximity to EC and MGM, but I dislike the Epcot resorts themselves.

Upvote 0

davewasbaloo

I've never stayed at the Boardwalk Inn, but I've visited it plenty of times.

Personally, I'm not a fan. I REALLY dislike the lobby. The first time I stepped foot in it I thought it was small and cramped and very anti-climactic. The only thing I like about it is the round couch thing.

The Boardwalk itself has a bit of character and atmosphere to it, but I don't think it's living up to it's full potential. I like the occasional walk past the shops and restaurants, but I can only handle so much. I wouldn't want to stay there. I love the Epcot resort area and it's proximity to EC and MGM, but I dislike the Epcot resorts themselves.

I totally agree. I love the location and it has some great adult entertainment options, but I wouldn't want to stay there. The lobby is really boring compared to the other deluxe resorts, and I find the dining options so so. I would much rather stay in the MK deluxes or AKL, which is a shame as Epcot is my favorite park.

Upvote 0

adventurelander

We love the Boardwalk. We've stayed at other resorts, but this is our favorite and we won't stay anywhere else. Yes, we do find it quiet at times, but we enjoy that. After being in the parks with the crowds all day, it's nice to return to a quiet resort. One of my best memories is walking to the Boardwalk Bakery in the morning to get a donut, hearing the music, and watching the morning joggers, sitting on a bench with the sun on my face. It is very peaceful, it makes you happy and gives a good start to the day. In the evening we never fail to entertain ourselves there, it's always very relaxing and fun.:cool:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom