Why does it seem as if everyone hates Test Track?

Grim Grinner

Original Poster
Scanning over the boards, I noticed that more and more people are grumbling over Test Track... Why? Sure, I loved World of Motion (and it was better than TT) but Test Track does have that Disney magic in it for me. It gives two separate feelings, with both a Dark Ride and a Thrill ride. It's not too intense for kids, and it's sorta interesting. I also liken some of its earlier parts to my lost Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (which was one of my three top favorites... If the Mansion or Pirates go..... grrrr).

The ride technology is cool and I love that rubber smell inside. It's an experience unlike any I've faced at any theme park, yet it still feels like Disney.

I think Disney has hit a good balance with this ride. A little thrilling, but not to the point of distraction.

If you hate Test Track, I'd really like to hear why...

Tramp

My 10 year old loves the ride and it's fun to share the experience with her.....but, if so inclined, one only needs to go onto the interstate to experience the same thrill.:lookaroun

...while we were there last August, the ride was constantly stopping for one reason or another. At one point, we were so annoyed with the multiple interruption of the ride, that we demanded to be sent thru again and they gladly accommodated us...

...additionally, the ride was closed often for hours at a time and they allowed fast pass holders to use their fast pass at anytime during the day...you can imagine how 'slow' fastpass was when hundreds of people stormed the ride when it opened...

...if this ride is too high maintenance, don't be surprised to see it show up on a Disney 'hit' list soon.

:confused:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I personally love the Test Track - I think its an amazing ride system, tied in with a very unique storyline/experience. My hat goes off to the boys and girls at Imagineering for this one! :)

I often hear people say they can experience the same on the freeway. LOL - since when was your car on the freeway doing high speed banked turns, with NO driver???!!!!! :) Not to mention the fact you are only seconds away from the car infront and behind of you!!

I personally think its a fun ride, with real learning benefits, and the technology involved in the ride system amazes me everytime I experience it. :D

epcot71

while there will always be a special place in my heart for world of motion and horizons- I LOVE test track.

my 6 year old daughter screamed on the top of her lungs and i think theming wise it is very well done. as far as the same experience as driving on the freeway-i drive about 90 miles an hour to work and even kinda crazy at times and have never experienced anything like my ride on test track

Tramp

Originally posted by wdwmagic

I often hear people say they can experience the same on the freeway. LOL - since when was your car on the freeway doing high speed banked turns, with NO driver???!!!!! :) Not to mention the fact you are only seconds away from the car infront and behind of you!!

I personally think its a fun ride, with real learning benefits, and the technology involved in the ride system amazes me everytime I experience it. :D

LMAO......guess i was remembering my weekly trips into New York City.....the Cross Bronx Expressway was quite a thrill ride.....
Belgium Blocks?....nah...how bout huge holes and ruts....
ABS Test?.....about every 2 minutes....
Distance to the car in front and behind ya.....about 3 feet
and don't forget the heat, cold, dirt, and kicked up stones test...
...no.....no high speed banked turns.....no high speed at all...lol..and whether or not there was a driver behind the wheel is arguable in these parts...:lol:

lol.....the Test Track is well-designed and i do like it.....but the delays and interruptions were very annoying last year...it may have been to let handicapped people on the ride but it was SO often that it ruined the experience...during the ABS test the car stopped just before the brakes were to be applied and then the audio was out of sequence....the front end crash was out of sync too, it was backing up when we arrived on the scene......one time the car stopped on the hill climb.....they also shut the ride down during thunderstorms cuz it goes outside so that just compounded the problems...all these problems occured on several days while we were there.

...it' a neat ride, but if many people are experiencing these problems, it could explain why more and more people are grumbling...:lol:

Goofster

Test Track is a fabulous ride. I love it, it's loads of fun. It's cool how they've got the pics of the test facilities and That truck scares me every time. Well, I just can't wait for Mission: Space, it'll be sweet to see the Test Track lines go down a little, maybe a lot. That is unless of course Epcot draws every thrill seeker in the US that dreamed of being an astronaut when they were a kid down there to florida.

MobileBadBoy

Account Suspended
Haha, yeah. When I went down there in 2000, it was my first time riding it. It took 3 days before I actually rode it, due to it either being down for mechanical problems, or due to it raining.

Luckily last October, I got to ride it a dozen or so times with no problems.

General Grizz

I don't really HATE Test Track...I am just upset about the demise of World of Motion, which was never even really a favorite attraction. When I look at an attraction that has replaced one of so much glory and nostalgia when the "days were good" and doesn't really seem to meet up to it...(plus it breaks down every day)...it just saddens me. That's why I'm not a fan of Test Track. Heck, I've ridden it once and screamed...(well, I screamed "Go Horizons!" since it was still around...)

I suppose I miss the whole EPCOT as a whole...and see Test Track as the murderer...and JIYI...the way they take away that jolly "Fun to Be Free" jazz and replace it with techno and screetches...sure, it's imaginative and all...it makes me cry...really, it does...inside...and ocassionally a tear drops down...it's not fun at all.

But if you see my Imagineering ideas (in the Imagineering section, respectively), we can make "Motion" happy for everyone...of course, this may not solve the "break down" problem...

ToTBellHop

I LOVE test track. It is NOTHING like driving. I don't generally stick my hands up in the air and scream when I'm driving, and I have yet to use my ABS like they use it. I think it's extremely well-done. The breakdowns annoy me, but I just come back later...
Kyle

Grim Grinner

Original Poster
To Grizzly

I can completely empathize with you Grizzly. World of Motion, particularly the sequence with the high-speed film and the curved screen, made me happy as a youngster. I wish World of Motion had stayed, and that Test Track could have evolved somewhere else. Same goes for Horizons and Imagination...

When I got to go there when I was a kid, towards the closing of the Park, my step-brother and I would board all three ex-rides over and over, as if we'd never be able to again... Sadly we never did.....

My thinking is that at least Disney put something there, and even a ride that lives up to the Disney name. That's something, especially when you consider 20K Under the Sea has been empty for so long, and Winnie the Pooh, being a cheap knock-off of a better Pooh ride elsewhere.

Maybe future Epcots will have a time machine for us to travel to the old park, perhaps...?

General Grizz

Thanks, Grim...you're a pal! I am so glad somebody agrees...see my "EPCOT Historical Society" idea in the Mission Space section of News/Rumours...it would please us! How it got in that section...I'd never know!

GO WORLD OF MOTION!!! :D

sillyspook13

Don't get me wrong, I loved Test Track the first 10 or 20 or so times I rode on it. For the next 3-ish years, it was still pretty cool. Now I go on the ride if I need to find some new hidden mickeys or if I need a power nap.:snore: (or if I'm at Epcot with a really hot guy and I want a "reason" for him to hold my hand....)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom