Why do you believe WDW has gone downhill?

Chef Mickey

It hasn't gone downhill, at least for the most part. There are 2 large factors at play.

1) Resistance to change.
2) Nostalgia/Rose-Colored Glasses

Things are not as good as we remember, no matter how much we think they are and we don't want favorites to change.

I do think the newly focused IP and lack of expansion have been disappointing, but for what's still offered, Disney is as good or better than ever. Great cast, great management, clean, friendly, fun, exciting, detailed, immersive, etc.

note2001

Park hours are shorter
Fewer Extra Magic Hours than ever before
EMHs are overcrowded and hours were sliced down to 2 from 3
Upcharge events at every turn
Prices have never been higher
Rain is wet
Florida is hot
Oh, and the garbage cans on Main Street still stink.

* Some of the above are legitimate complaints I have. Not telling which ones.

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
As I said, there has been conflicting discussions about it. I also saw the one with Joe and as much as one would think that he would be the one to know, others have said that to give the real reason for it not being repaired would be a PR nightmare, but, saying that it is all 100% connected and cannot be moved without upsetting the entire structure, is a lot better publicly to say then.. no we just don't want to fix it. Anyway, you could be right, as I said I am only telling you what I have heard. I've heard both Joe's discussion and the other story and frankly to me, the others make much more sense to me. Bottom line no matter what the truth is it boils down to no active yeti. If Joe approved a structure that didn't allow access to a giant animatronic figure then he let something drop as well when it comes to imagineering. I would think he would imagine that a piece of complicated mechanical system just might need to be moved at some point. But, who am I to say. Both of my earlobes are the same length. :p
While we're on the topic of things that belong in another thread. ZOOTOPIA AT AK? @zootopiadude

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

It has gone downhill. But my impression of WHY may anger others.

I don't care about prices. Jack 'em up, until the crowds go down.
Actually perform Maintenance - more work, fewer empty apologies.
Get a REAL Website - that works. BE like Amazon, or OUTSOURCE to Amazon. And get a REAL CIO.
WDW is JUST about where it started: ONE functioning park. Clean up, and fix, the other three. This is why the MK is always packed.

....and knock it off with the "fake SIG" restaurants? Folks are just going to grab a cab, and go to REAL fine dining, off sight. No, DS is NOT the answer.

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
Well, in all fairness, the topic of a broken Yeti was sighted as an example of a decline. I don't see it as good, but, I think way to much importance and imagined what would have been in the past is being connected with it.
True. I was not intentionally trying to single you out about this at all, it was just the latest post.

I will add that when I was at Guest Relations earlier this year there was a couple next to me whose only purpose in that queue was to complain about the Yeti not working.

Goofyernmost

True. I was not intentionally trying to single you out about this at all, it was just the latest post.

I will add that when I was at Guest Relations earlier this year there was a couple next to me whose only purpose in that queue was to complain about the Yeti not working.
Give it a couple more years and a whole generation will never know what the Yeti was supposed to do. All we have to do is not mention it and the attraction will be part of that generations nostalgia. It's always a matter of perception. Thanks for that clarification.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Things are not as good as we remember, no matter how much we think they are and we don't want favorites to change.

This is quite easy to debunk.. When you used to have a good time, and now you have less of a good time. This is not 'rose colored glasses' it's a measure of people's satisfaction. The reality is there has been lots of change, not all necessarily good, which means people can point to factors that have influenced their conclusions.

And your dismissive approach is insulting to those who actually can have objective recollection of their past trips

GeoffR

More focused on turnover rate than quality. It's like starting dessert before finishing dinner. They are doing this and that but really at low quality. Been to toy story land and pandora. Just my opinion, but very underwhelming. Every ride i go on, i can point out broken effects snd animatronics.
They over did star wars, now people arent as wowed by it. They cant do anything with marvel so they are stuck trying to force-feed ip elsewhere. The forced ip is awful. Original ideas are the classics, and they have strayed.
Lack of quality, lack of attention to detail, and lack of creativity; overlays.
This hasnt affected attendance though. The parks are so crowded with underwhelming attractions, it is adding insult to injury.

I'm here now, and left mk because it was jam-packed. All just my opinion

winstongator

I think the guest experience at WDW is the victim of WDW's success!

WDW Parks and resorts are so successful, and as a result of that success, the parks are always over crowded, as a result of that success, Disney can raise prices on anything they like whenever they want.

As a result of that, its ironically the guest experience that goes down hill in my opinion
Interesting point. Imagine the guest experience if attendance were at 1998 levels. Food and merch would still be just as expensive, but they were expensive in 1988. But the park ticket - if crowds are down, lines are down, you see more attractions, get closer for parades and nighttime shows - you get more ‘value’ when it’s less crowded.

I think the elements you mention have occurred, but am not sure I would conclude the guest experience is down. They have added a lot, and are in progress to add even more. It’s a hard point to argue though that the guest experience on a low crowd day isn’t better than a packed 10/10 day. Is a day where you have to work a little harder but get flight of passage or mine train instead of the attractions they replaced, better, comparable, worse?

I should make my signature Yogi’s quote: “nobody goes there anymore, it’s too crowded.”

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Here is the big difference in my Disney experience..the internet. Take the Yaki as an example. If I had gone on this ride before the internet I first would not have known all the details of the Yaki and would say "what a great ride." Today I go on the ride and say, "still the Yake is not working."

NickMaio

It hasn't gone downhill, at least for the most part. There are 2 large factors at play.

1) Resistance to change.
2) Nostalgia/Rose-Colored Glasses

I do think the newly focused IP and lack of expansion have been disappointing, but for what's still offered, Disney is as good or better than ever. Great cast, great management, clean, friendly, fun, exciting, detailed, immersive, etc.

I am sorry but charging more < a lot more> to gain entry to a park that has an increasing attendance and to have that park close hours earlier has little to do with rose coloured glasses. We never focus on the negatives during our trip but the last two visits WDW made it almost impossible to do so.
Don't get me wrong - we love WDW - but to say that WDW is as good or better than ever - someone else might be drinking a little too much WDW kool aid.

WDW is in need of some serious direction - - - more about the ticket holders and less about the shareholders.

Disstevefan1

I am sorry but charging more < a lot more> to gain entry to a park that has an increasing attendance and to have that park close hours earlier has little to do with rose coloured glasses. We never focus on the negatives during our trip but the last two visits WDW made it almost impossible to do so.
Don't get me wrong - we love WDW - but to say that WDW is as good or better than ever - someone else might be drinking a little too much WDW kool aid.

WDW is in need of some serious direction - - - more about the ticket holders and less about the shareholders.

[should be] "more about the ticket holders and less about the shareholders. " - WELL SAID!!! I think Walt would have thought this way too..

hapihart

I don't think it's gone downhill, but I do think there have been many, many changes, and not all of them for the better. One thing I really noticed on my last trip, was that the number of blah cast members. It used to be really hard to find one that just wasn't working the Disney magic, but we came across several on this last trip. And several that were just obviously there to get a paycheck. Not bad, but none of the Disney sparkle we so enjoy seeing.

And the prices keep getting our attention. Especially the little things like not letting us buy a special straw without purchasing the drink, which doubled the price. Since Disney separates the product like a popcorn bucket and the actual popcorn on the receipt, it really emphasizes that point.

pax_65

The value I get from my WDW vacation has gone downhill. Rising prices coupled with shorter park hours, longer waits, less live entertainment, fewer functioning attractions, etc. means that I can't do as much with the same amount of time in the parks - and I'm paying more to be there. :(

Animaniac93-98

If you never went to WDW prior to 2005 or never been to any other Disney or Universal park you will likely not understand why so many people are frustrated. That may come across as elitist, but there's something to be said about the perspective gained from experience.

No doubt if your first trip was in 2010, you probably think 2018 is better than ever. It's better, but not the best (or even close).

eliza61nyc

Unless you were comparing 1988 wdw to 1978... or really 1992 wdw to anything prior.

That's the problem with placating... you'lol make up just about anything to make it fit.

it's absolutely not placating and no one is making anything up. YOU have less of a good time. we have MORE of a good time. so why should I say different just because you wish to compare it to 1978?? I'm not making anything up and certainly not to make anyone feel good.
sorry you aren't having as good as a time as you had in 1978 but truthfully that's your issues. your experience does not make it universal.

Now as always, full disclosure: I did not go in 1978 so I can't run in that race. I wish I had though just to see if all these accolades are true.

Last edited:

Raineman

The value I get from my WDW vacation has gone downhill. Rising prices coupled with shorter park hours, longer waits, less live entertainment, fewer functioning attractions, etc. means that I can't do as much with the same amount of time in the parks - and I'm paying more to be there. :(
My question is-and I'm not trying to be rude or anything-has this decreased value stopped you from going to WDW? I think everyone has a point where they do not continue to visit when the value and the cost do not line up at all. I am not at that point yet, so I keep going, but I think there are quite a few instances where people feel a decrease in value, are continuously vocal about it on here, but still continue to visit. That, to me, is like that old saying about doing something over and over expecting different results. Again, I'm not saying you are one of these people, but it happens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom