Why do you believe WDW has gone downhill?

Soarin2u

Original Poster
I don't think the quality of the Disney experience has gone downhill appreciably - some things are better than they used to be and some aren't, but it's kind of a wash for me.

I just think the cost increases (both in terms of things costing more, and in terms of Disney charging for things it used to offer for free) are not justified, because there's been no comparable increase in the quality of what is offered (or even in the cost of living). It's all about the ratio of cost-to-product.

So what has gone downhill for me is not so much the experience, but the value - significantly and unmistakably.

In what are some things Disney offered that used to be free? What changes or things has Disney done to make you believe the value for the experience has decreased? Sorry, it's these sort of specifics that I wanted!

NickMaio

Not fixing the Yeti as a sign that Disney fails to maintain their rides to the extent they should.

They realistically can not fix the yeti - it is part of its own separate structure that was affecting the roller coaster structure.

The Yeti - will never get fixed.....it's sad really.

NickMaio

Pure and simple greed. Nickel and diming your customers to death on things that used to be included with your standard ticket price while not maintaining the high standards the company used to keep in the park experience and customer service.
Amen Disfreak - - - - Charge, charge, charge, less, less, less, paying for better seats, pay to park your car, shorter operating hours, less staff to run the rides = longer lines, ect......
Less magic hours and more pay to plays.....so sad - we don't stay on WDW property anymore. Zero advantage now.
It is non stop every year.
Sadly once Galaxy's Edge open I think we will see much more of this type of nickel squeezing.

John park hopper

For 46 years WDW did not charge for parking when staying at on site. Characters roamed the park and interacted with the guests (kids) now it's pay for characters meals. They removed many of the places you could sit along with removing trees. Shorter park hours. What has gone downhill there has been some uphill so it balances out I guess

Weather_Lady

In what are some things Disney offered that used to be free? What changes or things has Disney done to make you believe the value for the experience has decreased? Sorry, it's these sort of specifics that I wanted!

Sure - when I talk about things that now cost more (or have been diminished), I'm talking about hotel parking, daily extra magic hours (there are still EMH, but they've been pared down in favor of upcharged events like Early Morning Magic and nighttime parties), and even silly stuff like toppings bars at counter-service restaurants (things like neon cheese and guac now cost extra). Park hours are decreased for special events with little warning, but ticket prices go up. Early access to FP+ is reserved solely for those who've paid more to stay onsite, instead of Fastpasses being offered freely and equally to all ticketed guests on a given day. In-park live entertainment, pop-up character interactions and other "secret" extras (e.g., Tom Sawyer Island paintbrushes) have been decreased in every park. Attractions are deliberately under-staffed or operated at a lower capacity, to counteract any benefit visitors would otherwise gain by visiting during times of low crowds. CMs are harder to find when you need assistance, because there are just fewer of them around. Hotel rooms in preferred locations were once a pleasant surprise for the guests who get them: now they're a separate room category to be booked for an upcharge of 30% or more. Ditto if you want to watch a parade or nighttime entertainment from a favorable location: those areas are now closed off for Dessert Parties or dining packages that would cost my family more than my monthly car payment to attend.

Please understand, I know how capitalism works. I'm not suggesting for a moment that Disney isn't making smart decisions for its shareholders, or that Disney has no right to tighten its figurative belt, or to change how it does business from year to year to maximize its profits. However, Disney used to be -- or used to make guests feel like it was -- a company that was happy to "leave a little money on the table" in order to provide an extraordinary guest experience, and to let some magical moments be available to everybody -- things like that reliably short line for a headliner during extra magic hours that made you feel like you had the whole park to yourself, that extra scoop of guacamole on your taco which you knew would cost extra at your local Mexican place, that amazing parade viewing spot you stumbled into, the time you practically ran into Cinderella as you rounded a corner, that conveniently-located hotel room your parents were so excited to be told was assigned to your family... I no longer have that perception of WDW. Once you hunt down and monetize every piece of magic, it ceases to be magic.

Last edited:

geekza

I think it has lost focus. When you read about the amount of thought and care that went into every detail when building both the MK and EPCOT Center, you realize that not a single decision was made hapahazardly. Everything, from the gaslights on Main Street switching over to electric lights as you get towards the hub, to the musical transitions as you cross over into a different land, to any number of details in the attractions, landscaping, and architecture were created in order to deliver a full experience that was unlike any other place on the planet. It was important to both management and the Imagineers that everything should be as perfectly-themed and designed as was possible. Everything was "plussed" to the point where a detail might not be immediately apparent, but contributed to the totality of feeling that the Imagineers wanted guests to have. There was a sense of pride and real achievement with every new addition. Each time you visited, you found something new that felt like it had been there all along.

Current management simply doesn't care about the parks, other than as a means to increase revenue. The question of whether a change or addition to the parks should be done has no importance. I honestly feel like the things that people still find special about the parks are simply leftovers from a time when those in charge truly wanted to show the public what they could do when creativity and thoughtful design were the norm, rather than occasional accidents that slip through upon occasion. Today's Disney management would never be capable of building a park from scratch and having it be both endlessly varied and yet unquestionably cohesive. A theme is an overarching idea that governs every decision that happens under its purview. Both the MK and EPCOT Center were perfect pyramids of function and design. Modern Disney operates amusement parks, not theme parks.

Goofyernmost

Not fixing the Yeti as a sign that Disney fails to maintain their rides to the extent they should.

They realistically can not fix the yeti - it is part of its own separate structure that was affecting the roller coaster structure.

The Yeti - will never get fixed.....it's sad really.
Just to clarify, It has been confirmed by many people in the know, that the yeti can be taken out and, if I remember correctly, actually has been taken out at one point. Whether or not it can be repaired is the part that is somewhat debatable. I would think that anything that could be built to begin with can be rebuilt correctly. However, I think that Disney weighed the cost of making it workable with the net return. That ride is full pretty much every minute of the day. People love it even the way it is. They have used their ability to create the illusion of movement and in the split second that it is visible as one passes by in a fast moving vehicle, it has pretty much the same affect as it would have if they fixed it. So it won't be fixed. It might be nice if it were, but, it is hardly necessary. They engineered it wrong, it didn't last and is no longer worth the effort or expense to fix it. I don't think that even Walt would have looked at the facts and made the decision to spend thousands of dollars for no real return. I'm sure that during his reign, many things didn't work like he wanted and he just did something different with it, but, as long as it was popular he wasn't about to close it down, just substitute.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I think it all started when the key metric changed from guest satisfaction to stockholder satisfaction. Merging the Disney company with the broadcast industry, with the attendant personnel crossovers, diluted--some would say "infected"--the Disney customer service philosophy with a focus on the next quarter's financial results.

ppete1975

I was simply seeking quotes to use. Sure there are thousands of others threads I could quote but, I thought it'd be more appropriate to propose such quotes to my professor in that I explicitly asked people their opinions as to what has potentially reduced the quality of their experience rather than grasping at bits here and there from random threads. Granted, my wording wasn't done well and made the question too broad, fearing that being specific would deter comments.
When I was a kid you had to actually talk to people when you surveyed them. These new fangled kids and their electronic wizzits and whatchamacallits just send a message on wdwmagic and poof their homework is done. Spoke to 50 people and they agree that WDW is awesome and not declining... IN MY DAY that would have take days... and that's after walking 40 miles both ways to town.... UPHILL BOTH WAYS...
oh and umm GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

LeighM

In my opinion and experience, it hasn't gone downhill. I don't like all of their decisions - ever increasing prices, shorter EMH, more upsell tickets/events but it doesn't take away any of the happiness I have when I'm in the parks. As I mentioned in a previous thread, the thing that has changed negatively, as well as impacting my experience, is the lack consideration that so many in the parks have for other guests. The sense of entitlement is crazy.

NickMaio

I must say for us - - - The biggest kick in the pants was the gradual decrease in actual park time. Pay more and play less.
We have been at the MK until 3am in the past - - - -that was when the park closed at 12 and EMH were 3 hours past close.

This was amazing - - A trip we still talk about today.

If they brought back these hours we would start to come back every year again. 9 and 10 pm during the summer time is an absolute joke for WDW.

NickMaio

Just to clarify, It has been confirmed by many people in the know, that the yeti can be taken out and, if I remember correctly, actually has been taken out at one point. Whether or not it can be repaired is the part that is somewhat debatable. I would think that anything that could be built to begin with can be rebuilt correctly. However, I think that Disney weighed the cost of making it workable with the net return. That ride is full pretty much every minute of the day. People love it even the way it is. They have used their ability to create the illusion of movement and in the split second that it is visible as one passes by in a fast moving vehicle, it has pretty much the same affect as it would have if they fixed it. So it won't be fixed. It might be nice if it were, but, it is hardly necessary. They engineered it wrong, it didn't last and is no longer worth the effort or expense to fix it. I don't think that even Walt would have looked at the facts and made the decision to spend thousands of dollars for no real return. I'm sure that during his reign, many things didn't work like he wanted and he just did something different with it, but, as long as it was popular he wasn't about to close it down, just substitute.
The yeti does not need to be fixed - it is the structure that the yeti is on that needs a total overhaul. The yet's massive shaking arm was destroying the structure underneath it.
Yes it can be done but it will probably shut down 1 of the biggest draw rides in the park for months to years. Not going to happen. Not when the penny pinching is going on in full effect.

Goofyernmost

The yeti does not need to be fixed - it is the structure that the yeti is on that needs a total overhaul. The yet's massive shaking arm was destroying the structure underneath it.
Yes it can be done but it will probably shut down 1 of the biggest draw rides in the park for months to years. Not going to happen. Not when the penny pinching is going on in full effect.
Another myth I believe, It was also reported that it wasn't the foundation, but, the steel structure that made up the base of the Yeti. Now mind you, I have never actually seen the structure in person, but, that is what I remember our board experts saying about it. It seems to me that the easiest and cheapest thing in the world to do is to fix and strengthen a foundation. Concrete and Rebar. If it is the structure foundation it probably would close it for a little while. If it is the Yeti, they can pull it out and fix it offsite with no real need to close the ride. All they need is a stand in Yeti.

Last edited:

Soarin2u

Original Poster
Sure - when I talk about things that now cost more (or have been diminished), I'm talking about hotel parking, daily extra magic hours (there are still EMH, but they've been pared down in favor of upcharged events like Early Morning Magic and nighttime parties), and even silly stuff like toppings bars at counter-service restaurants (things like neon cheese and guac now cost extra). Park hours are decreased for special events with little warning, but ticket prices go up. Early access to FP+ is reserved solely for those who've paid more to stay onsite, instead of Fastpasses being offered freely and equally to all ticketed guests on a given day. In-park live entertainment, pop-up character interactions and other "secret" extras (e.g., Tom Sawyer Island paintbrushes) have been decreased in every park. Attractions are deliberately under-staffed or operated at a lower capacity, to counteract any benefit visitors would otherwise gain by visiting during times of low crowds. CMs are harder to find when you need assistance, because there are just fewer of them around. Hotel rooms in preferred locations were once a pleasant surprise for the guests who get them: now they're a separate room category to be booked for an upcharge of 30% or more. Ditto if you want to watch a parade or nighttime entertainment from a favorable location: those areas are now closed off for Dessert Parties that would cost my family more than my monthly car payment to attend.

Please understand, I know how capitalism works. I'm not suggesting for a moment that Disney isn't making smart decisions for its shareholders, or that Disney has no right to tighten its figurative belt, or to change how it does business from year to year to maximize its profits. However, Disney used to be -- or used to make guests feel like it was (thanks to rolling the cost of things into the ticket price, instead of charging for each little thing separately) -- a company that was happy to "leave a little money on the table" in order to provide an extraordinary guest experience, and was happy to let some magical moments be available to everybody -- that reliably short line for a headliner during extra magic hours that made you feel like you had the park to yourself, that extra scoop of guacamole on your taco which you knew would cost a fortune at your local Mexican place, that amazing parade viewing spot you stumbled into, the time you practically ran into Cinderella as you rounded a corner, that conveniently-located hotel room your parents were so excited to be told was assigned to your family... I no longer have that perception of WDW. Once you hunt down and monetize every piece of magic, it ceases to be magic.

Perfect! Thanks so much, it provides lots of bits to analyze!

righttrack

WDW was or is (depending on how you feel) the leader in entertainment, creativity and hospitality. I think the issue is that WDW was certainly on the leading edge, but now it seems to chase others to remain on top. Nobody does this on the scale WDW does though. What I don't like to see, is to see WDW build attractions that are merely people in front of a screen, or some other basic mechanism or trick. I like to see originality and cutting edge from WDW. If you look at WDW from day one, it has always been on the cutting edge. So when I see them chasing others, I get concerned that maybe that creativity or worse commitment to being first and best has waned a bit. I hope I'm wrong and I wish they would prove me wrong with SWGE and other new projects.

Tom Thompson

So, I'm actually writing an essay and I need the voices of those who believe Disney World has lost its special touch.

What are changes Disney has made you believe have been for the worst? And does it represent something greater? Are there things you see now that you don't like? Essentially, I need people to complain about Disney World so I have arguments to address.

For example:
Or,
Food quality, in general, has gone down but the prices remain high indicating Disney is being cheap.

The only thing else I ask for is to say something more creative than "crowds" and "ticket Price Increase." Least, if you say these give a unique argument as to why they're bad

Thanks!

Oh! And if you don't think Disney has gone downhill, I'd take those responses too!

Edit: Maybe downhill was too broad of a term. I'm really just seeking what changes or things have there been that have reduced the quality of your Walt Disney World Experience.
I do not agree that WDW has gone downhill and therefore need counter-arguments. Rather than assuming what the counter-arguments are, I thought it'd be nice to quote some. Therefore, I really would like specific points of an argument.

I will agree with you on this issue . Part of their problem is they are a victim of their own success . They have grown so large that they no longer can have the control they used to have . Back in the 90's ,99 out of a 100 cast members were unbelievably nice , helpful ( sometimes it was hard to believe how nice they were ) . I almost felt like they considered it a privilege to work there . Times have changed and you occasionally run into one of the cast members . That is just part of becoming an huge corporation ...... It is still a great place to vacation . I have and continue to have great times and memories with our children and grand kids . There is that sense of Magic in Disney . You just have to look a little harder to find it .

NickMaio

Another myth I believe, It was also reported that it wasn't the foundation, but, the steel structure that made up the base of the Yeti. Now mind you, I have never actually seen the structure in person, but, that is what I remember our board experts saying about it. It seems to me that the easiest and cheapest thing in the world to do is to fix and strengthen a foundation. Concrete and Rebar. If it is the structure foundation it probably would close it for a little while. If it is the Yeti, they can pull it out and fix it offsite with no real need to close the ride. All they need is a stand in Yeti.
I saw an interview with Joe Rhodes attesting to this..... The yeti was shaking the whole structure down to the foundation.
It is a big deal to fix this.

Goofyernmost

I saw an interview with Joe Rhodes attesting to this..... The yeti was shaking the whole structure down to the foundation.
It is a big deal to fix this.
As I said, there has been conflicting discussions about it. I also saw the one with Joe and as much as one would think that he would be the one to know, others have said that to give the real reason for it not being repaired would be a PR nightmare, but, saying that it is all 100% connected and cannot be moved without upsetting the entire structure, is a lot better publicly to say then.. no we just don't want to fix it. Anyway, you could be right, as I said I am only telling you what I have heard. I've heard both Joe's discussion and the other story and frankly to me, the others make much more sense to me. Bottom line no matter what the truth is it boils down to no active yeti. If Joe approved a structure that didn't allow access to a giant animatronic figure then he let something drop as well when it comes to imagineering. I would think he would imagine that a piece of complicated mechanical system just might need to be moved at some point. But, who am I to say. Both of my earlobes are the same length. :p

flynnibus

Premium Member
- Homogenized and streamlined food offerings
- soaring food prices at table locations
- the requirement to structure your vacation vs enjoying what you discover
- the expansion of scheduling into nearly all elements of the vacation experience\
- the strain of having to have digital connection at all times to keep up with the pace of things
- the faux 'deluxe' experience in their resorts which is far behind the industry standards for the rates they charge
- the overbearing push for squeezing more margin out of WDW that has a negative impact on the customer experience
-- The expansion of upsell opportunities everywhere
-- The addition of season pricing to dining, and now tickets
-- The killing of residual ticket values.. no more no expiration, or even extended uses
-- The almost bi-annual price increases
-- The delayed upkeep in some instances
-- The running at less than full capacity even when demand exceeds supply

This leads to a pile-on... where you don't like what you pay, you are frustrated with the processes, and then you get frustrated with the in-park experience due to crowding and stress. It adds up to "I like Disney, but damn its work" -- instead of "I had such a relaxing vacation at Disney!!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom