Why do we need Mission: SPACE at this point?

GustoGummi

Original Poster
Mission:Space is Wonderful. It is NOT A ROLLER COASTER and That is a Wonderful Thing!!
If you are a roller coaster fan, go to Six Flags or Cedar Point or Bush Gardens.
Walt Disney World is supposed to be FAR more than a roller coaster park.
And the Orange version is truly a thrill ride, for those who must have the rush. (and I say that preferring the Orange version and not having ridden Guardians yet.)
But for some people on the site, it seems the goal is to get more and more roller coasters in the park. Again, head elsewhere.
Sermon over.
It's not about coasters vs other types of rides. Mission:SPACE replaced one of the greatest dark rides of all time and all we got was spinning boxes with buttons. I just think EPCOT deserves better and it doesn't have to be IP related.

Pepper's Ghost

I'm saying a bad attraction from one of the darkest eras of Theme Parks needs to go, that includes JIIWF.
I was just kidding. Man, I gotta get better at sarcasm. :rolleyes: This is the second time in a week where a joke was taken seriously. I'm completely at fault there.

That said, while I don't like JIIWF I would never presume that my opinion is the predominant one. While I'm just lukewarm to M:S, plenty of people love it. Not all rides are going to be universally loved. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I hate IaSW, SFR Treehouse, and Buzz LSR Spin, but I know others love it and would never assume that because I dislike them they need to go. Different strokes for different folks. I especially would never suggest that rides/attractions that I don't like should be removed unless Disney was prepared to replace them with something better. Although I never had the opportunity to ride Horizons, I completely understand those who lament the loss of a fan favorite, but it doesn't make sense to subtract a ride before they introduce more first to eat crowds. There are too few attractions in EPCOT as it is. No need to take a ride offline before they bring in some more.

Greg in TN

Mission: Space is great. It's too bad so many people can't handle it. Even my daughter, who was a very petite 6-year-old the first time we rode it, laughed, cheered and clapped all the way through the orange side, and immediately led the family back around to get in line again. She and my wife had previously ridden the green version, and were quite underwhelmed.

I had a nephew who told me I needed to ride the space shuttle attraction at Kennedy Space Center. It was interesting with all the astronaut and space program facts and trivia that were shown along the way, but the ride itself paled in comparison to Misson: Space.

I hope it's around for a long time !

Married5Times

It's a screen, a lousy one at that...... loaded with corny dialogue and script. Mission Space sucked when it opened and sucks now.

To borrow some Dungeons and Dragons jargon anything screen-based has a negative 5 to hit when rolling a 20-sided die.

Horizons was a high-quality attraction and now we're left with that.

Disneyfanman

Well, I love it! Always have and it's an experience unlike anything else that I can think of. I never miss it when I'm in Epcot. Now I do admit that not everyone in my family feels the same way. Some can't do it, and some won't do it. It separates the group. Horizons, which I never got to experience, seemed to be one of those rides that EVERYONE could do together. I do wish Epcot had both.

Snake

They don't need to be doing anymore tearing out rides to add new ones. I say they make an updated Horizons and put it in the empty walkway between old future world an the world showcase, where the new fevistal building was supposed to go. Remake Nemo with a living seas/muana update, update Imagination, add Switzerland with new Matterhorn. Add a huge tribute to world of motion in the test track que. Now that would remake Epcot, not this pathetic attempt.

Disstevefan1

Before they close anything in EPCOT, they should finish the Moana dirt pile and Communicore 2.0.

As for MS, I know there are haters out there, but I think it's a great non IP "EPCOTy" type of attraction.

By adding less intense green team, they created TWO attractions in one! And I enjoy riding both.

I enjoy the queue area mixing real space history with the fictional family in space. Truly EPCOTy :)

Closing MS will not mean a replacement will magically appear, it will just result in a closed attraction with no replacement.

NickMaio

Once upon a time I remember lamenting the demolition of Horizons and hoping that Mission: SPACE would be superior. As we all know it opened to much controversy and quickly faded in the background as a dud attraction. Skip ahead 19 years later and Cosmic Rewind is literally everything I wanted Mission: SPACE to be as a kid. It even covers a lot of the same territory as the orange mission. So now that we have a undeniably superior attraction that covers outer space right next door, is it time to close Mission: SPACE for something much better?

(Also I know Space 220 just opened but this is just for hypothetical conversation.)
Ugh - - - - get rid of Mission Space!!!
Its so bad - - - - its a hyper version of a carnival ride.
Not much for re-rideability........

However, I suppose if you had a kiddo that loved space - - the idea of flying a spaceship would be pretty cool.

I am still voting for Horizons 2.0. - - - Complete with a choose your own adventure ending.

DCLcruiser

Horizons was great, especially being able to relive a scene at the end. M:S is a fun ride, it just needs the video to be updated for more missions. I am sure a "Lightyear" overlay is in the works.

Disstevefan1

Ugh - - - - get rid of Mission Space!!!
Its so bad - - - - its a hyper version of a carnival ride.
Not much for re-rideability........

However, I suppose if you had a kiddo that loved space - - the idea of flying a spaceship would be pretty cool.

I am still voting for Horizons 2.0. - - - Complete with a choose your own adventure ending.
I never realized how strong the hate for this ride is.

But then again, I hate the Moana attraction and it’s no where near to be finished.

Horizons 2.0, or as I like to call it, “New Horizons” is a beautiful dream that will never happen.

Was there a sink hole under Horizons? The world will never know the truth.

Goofyernmost

M:S is not my favorite ride, but it's not my least favorite either. I agree with @erasure fan1. Keep it at minimum until they add a few more good rides. Then maybe it can go. I still enjoy it though. It's not just about me, but personally I wouldn't be devastated if they removed it after adding much more first.
People that know me, know that I do not wear my emotions on my sleeve. I was in my 50's the first time I rode it. All orange at the time. I was riding solo and had a family of three Asian tourists in the pod with me. When it stopped I actually yelled out "AWESOME" loudly. I think the people with me were amazed at an old guy reacting like that. As long as there are sufficient numbers of people that still enjoy it, there is no reason to remove it. There is one thing that WDW has is a lot of room to expand and absolutely no reason to close one to open another.
While I don't like JIIWF I would never presume that my opinion is the predominant one. While I'm just lukewarm to M:S, plenty of people love it. Not all rides are going to be universally loved. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I hate IaSW, SFR Treehouse, and Buzz LSR Spin, but I know others love it and would never assume that because I dislike them they need to go. Different strokes for different folks. I especially would never suggest that rides/attractions that I don't like should be removed unless Disney was prepared to replace them with something better. Although I never had the opportunity to ride Horizons, I completely understand those who lament the loss of a fan favorite, but it doesn't make sense to subtract a ride before they introduce more first to eat crowds. There are too few attractions in EPCOT as it is. No need to take a ride offline before they bring in some more.
Exactly! I watched Horizons slowly turn into a ghost town. From a massive number of switch back lines inside the building to a pitiful walk on. It was a great show in it's time, but it really didn't age that well. It wasn't that everything that was depicted had become current history, it was just really boring and just used for a nap. Unfortunately, Epcot had a lot of those and they all became, been there, done that attractions. And that is coming for a massive fan of Epcot. I first went when EPCOT was just 5 months old and it quickly became my favorite park.
Mission: Space is great. It's too bad so many people can't handle it. Even my daughter, who was a very petite 6-year-old the first time we rode it, laughed, cheered and clapped all the way through the orange side, and immediately led the family back around to get in line again. She and my wife had previously ridden the green version, and were quite underwhelmed.

I had a nephew who told me I needed to ride the space shuttle attraction at Kennedy Space Center. It was interesting with all the astronaut and space program facts and trivia that were shown along the way, but the ride itself paled in comparison to Misson: Space.

I hope it's around for a long time !
I don't know if you have ridden the original "green" side. If you did you know that at that time it was exactly the same ride as "orange" without the spin. Most know that in the beginning all were exactly the same ride, they all spun. Two people, with preexisting conditions died either on the ride or shortly after. That jinxed the ride and was what led the way to the "green" side. Not as exhilarating, but still fun. I agree that the current green is underwhelming. Having ridden both with the original show, there really wasn't a huge difference, and a workable compromise but the new one... Oy Vay. About the same thing as a routine ride in an airplane.
Was there a sink hole under Horizons? The world will never know the truth.
Actually, the world does know that there was no sinkhole under the building. Disney just wanted to have what seemed like a plausible reason to destroy the building and put up a different one for a new sponsor, over the very same alleged sinkhole. Pretty much were the restaurant is now from what we were told.

piccolopat

Mission Space is a dud. Bring back a new version of Horizons. The Space 220 restaurant would still fit in as Horizons had a section of living in space. Disney needs to keep more dark rides. They are accessible to a wider variety of guests (young, old, disabled, folks that don't like thrill rides) and are much better venues for good storytelling.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom