Why do we need Mission: SPACE at this point?

GustoGummi

Original Poster
Once upon a time I remember lamenting the demolition of Horizons and hoping that Mission: SPACE would be superior. As we all know it opened to much controversy and quickly faded in the background as a dud attraction. Skip ahead 19 years later and Cosmic Rewind is literally everything I wanted Mission: SPACE to be as a kid. It even covers a lot of the same territory as the orange mission. So now that we have a undeniably superior attraction that covers outer space right next door, is it time to close Mission: SPACE for something much better?

(Also I know Space 220 just opened but this is just for hypothetical conversation.)

UNCgolf

It would have definitely made more sense to have Guardians be a scientific space based coaster (as opposed to a Marvel sci-fi one) as a replacement for Mission: SPACE instead of having two space attractions almost next to each other.

Marc Davis Fan

Imperfect as it may be, Mission: SPACE is qualitatively different from a roller coaster - or from any other attraction, for that matter. With its unique ride system, M:S remains to this day the closest experience that members of the public can have to a rocket launch.

I think it also serves as a nice complement to the more "traditional" (in the theme park world) approach to space in that its new neighbor Cosmic Rewind uses (this would be true even if the story for Cosmic Rewind were science-based rather than IP-based).

I wouldn't quite call it a dud, either. It's obviously not a top headliner, but people generally seem to enjoy it (and again, it's a unique experience), so it adds to their day at EPCOT.

Also, the last thing we need right now is less ride capacity at EPCOT!

Ansem

I really love this ride for the novelty of pseudo 'space flight' (and have fun memories of getting on with a bottle of still sealed coke, pulling it out of the bin and going immediately outside and opening it— only for there to be no fizz, no sound, nothing: the ride pulled all the carbonation out of the drink entirely and we couldn't stop laughing), and while it definitely isn't for everyone, I'm seconding the notion that the last thing Epcot needs is less discovery/knowledge based content and less ride capacity.

Also little kids get jazzed about feeling like they're in space, even on the green side it's just exciting when you're little.

drizgirl

Capacity, capacity, CAPACITY!!!

Why would anyone want a single attraction at Epcot to go anywhere? Disney’s single biggest issue in the 3 non castle parks is capacity.

Even if you aren’t riding it, other people are, and aren’t in the other lines you might want to be in.

And assuming Disney would replace it with something else any time soon would be folly.

JIMINYCR

We need MS because it’s a thrill to do. It’s one of my favorite attractions since the opening of it. I go intense every time and it doesn’t fail. It can easily be updated if and when we explore further into space. It got a bad rap in the beginning but Dis added the less intense side so it’s available for all who wish to ride. The Sinese version was best and IMHO the introduction as stands now needs to be made better.
And EP has always and still needs more things to keep guests interested than food/drink kiosks and pavilions with shops.
MS is very relevant and important to stay around.

vikescaper

While I still have fun on Mission: SPACE, I don’t enjoy it as much as I used to. I appreciate the updated graphics but was let down that they used the same exact script as when it first opened. Seems like they said “good enough” when they did the update a few years ago.

Goofyernmost

Once upon a time I remember lamenting the demolition of Horizons and hoping that Mission: SPACE would be superior. As we all know it opened to much controversy and quickly faded in the background as a dud attraction. Skip ahead 19 years later and Cosmic Rewind is literally everything I wanted Mission: SPACE to be as a kid. It even covers a lot of the same territory as the orange mission. So now that we have a undeniably superior attraction that covers outer space right next door, is it time to close Mission: SPACE for something much better?

(Also I know Space 220 just opened but this is just for hypothetical conversation.)
This may come as a shock to you, but WDW is not designed around only the things that you like. Many of us either do not want too or cannot ride coasters. We might like something to do too! This response is not hypothetical. It is the basis for why it shouldn't be replaced.

KaliSplash

Mission:Space is Wonderful. It is NOT A ROLLER COASTER and That is a Wonderful Thing!!
If you are a roller coaster fan, go to Six Flags or Cedar Point or Bush Gardens.
Walt Disney World is supposed to be FAR more than a roller coaster park.
And the Orange version is truly a thrill ride, for those who must have the rush. (and I say that preferring the Orange version and not having ridden Guardians yet.)
But for some people on the site, it seems the goal is to get more and more roller coasters in the park. Again, head elsewhere.
Sermon over.

Jrb1979

Mission:Space is Wonderful. It is NOT A ROLLER COASTER and That is a Wonderful Thing!!
If you are a roller coaster fan, go to Six Flags or Cedar Point or Bush Gardens.
Walt Disney World is supposed to be FAR more than a roller coaster park.
And the Orange version is truly a thrill ride, for those who must have the rush. (and I say that preferring the Orange version and not having ridden Guardians yet.)
But for some people on the site, it seems the goal is to get more and more roller coasters in the park. Again, head elsewhere.
Sermon over.
Agreed. At the same Disney could use more of a variety of attractions. IMO Extraterrestrial was a good start to having a variety. It was unfortunate when they scrapped it for not being family friendly. I don't think they necessarily need coasters but every ride doesn't need to a dark ride.

Goofyernmost

Agreed. At the same Disney could use more of a variety of attractions. IMO Extraterrestrial was a good start to having a variety. It was unfortunate when they scrapped it for not being family friendly. I don't think they necessarily need coasters but every ride doesn't need to a dark ride.
Extraterrestrial was just in the wrong park and didn't belong where the emphasis is on family, where all members can participate together. It went beyond scaring children into being totally petrified. However, then Stitch upset allegedly grown up people that somehow had lost the ability to find chili breath amusing. They left their inner child in the car when they came into the park. In fairness though no matter how much they have paid imagineers, they still haven't been challenged enough to figure out what they can put in that building.

erasure fan1

It just goes to show you how far Disney has fallen with their attention to detail. Guardians is the ride in the wrong spot. But we all know, there's no going back now. I'm not a huge fan of mission space. But I really don't see any chance that it goes anywhere. At this point mission space needs to stay until they open at least 3 new rides. Then do whatever you want with it. Of course we all know how this will play out. And it doesn't involve us getting more attractions.

James.Green

I’m not a fan, but it’s interesting to see some people talk about their love for the ride. I say keep it for the moment, because current management just couldn’t handle replacing it with a superior or even equal attraction.

DfromATX

I don't care for it much either. In fact, I can skip it, but there was a time when one of my kids actually believed she was controlling the ship! I'm sure she didn't think we were actually in space. Maybe she thought she was helping move the vehicle? She took it so seriously. We laughed about that just the other day. She was about 9 then and she's 24 now and of course she didn't remember that, but I do.

Pepper's Ghost

M:S is not my favorite ride, but it's not my least favorite either. I agree with @erasure fan1. Keep it at minimum until they add a few more good rides. Then maybe it can go. I still enjoy it though. It's not just about me, but personally I wouldn't be devastated if they removed it after adding much more first.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom