Why do we get emotional?

Incomudro

Well, everything the OP said...
My Father took the family to WDW the year it opened. (I didn't know that he got us there the year it opened 'till just a few years ago, when I did the math. Good job Dad!)
That original impression of just how grand the place was, how far beyond anything I had ever seen before - comes back to me every time I go.
My Father was an artist, and I could see through him not just how great of a theme park this place was - but also the creativity that went into it.
The designs, the styling, the details...
Having my own family and having taken my sons there several times, we have now created our own memories.
So, yeah - I get a big whoosh every time.

* My Father also took the family to DL just a couple of years after our WDW trip.

Smiley/OCD

The first time was when we took our 2 DD's for the first time...as we came out from under the tunnel at MK and they first saw the castle and the look on their faces was PRICELESS!!! I tell everyone who is taking their children for the first time to have 1 parent go in first and scope out a place to snap that picture...I just wish we had that insight!!

The second time was just about a year ago, we were sitting at Casey's waiting for Wishes. It was just my 15 yo DD and myself...A family of 3 from Maryland sat next to us. We started talking, and they said it was their first trip and they had JUST arrived at WDW an hour before. Their DD, about 4 was so happy to just be sitting there, a few hundred yards from the castle, started my feelings all over again. I told the girl to watch the top of the castle, because Tinkerbell will "fly" out of the castle...she saw it, and the tears of joy started flowing out of her eyes. That of course started my DD and my tears to start rolling, and THAT 5 second event made our whole trip!!!

Yeah, it's expensive, and yeah, it's changed since the first time we were there on our honeymoon in 1993, but WDW TRUELY IS the happiest place on earth!!

Tony the Tigger

My dad has just been given a timeline of weeks to maybe a month with his cancer yesterday. He too made sure we went to Disney World with or without him every other year because he knows how much we love the place. He made my brother promise him that he would take my mom this coming September on her birthday. Rough times man. Rough times.:(

I am so sorry.

So am I.

drizgirl

My dad has just been given a timeline of weeks to maybe a month with his cancer yesterday. He too made sure we went to Disney World with or without him every other year because he knows how much we love the place. He made my brother promise him that he would take my mom this coming September on her birthday. Rough times man. Rough times.:(

I'm so sorry.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

Disneyworld taps in to what we wish the actual world was and it's like for a brief moment in time when we're there that everything really is that way. It's also a place where you generally can just be what you want to be for a little bit and not be "judged" for it. When I'm at work and people see me all excited over Disney and they know that I go all the time they think it's weird. When I'm at Disneyworld and I DON'T act that way people think it's weird. It's just a place where you can have unmitigated fun. Also I went a lot when I was a kid and now I get to go a lot and take my own kids. A few years ago during Wishes we were by the Firehouse and my little boy was obsessed with The Lion King. So during Wishes it just so happened that Rafiki had came out right where we were standing and he stood and watched Wishes with my little boy. My little boy was so enchanted it was just an amazing moment that is forever ingrained in to my brain. Also a lot of times on the last night my wife will go back to BLT to pack and I will keep my little boy over at the MK and we'll ride until closing and then eat ice cream and then tell the Castle and Main Street "goodnight" on the way out and that we'll see them in a few months. People think we're crazy for being in the DVC but if they could only experience things like that a few times they'd understand why Disney is a place like none other. Just my two cents.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

Im a 25 year old man and i am not ashamed to say that i get emotional when i arrive to Main Street for the first time on every trip. I believe its the nostalgia of seriously being in the happiest place on earth. The combination of sights, smells & sounds automatically transports me back to when i was a little kid. As a little kid you dont have a care in the world & the nostalgia gives you all the feels as an adult. Im 33 days away from being back on Main Street and i can already have all the feels!

As far as other things that give me the feels? Splash Mountain & Peoplemover for sure!
What's funny is that we always keep at least one trip booked pretty much year around. Yet I STILL manage to get sad at the end of each trip even though I know I will literally be back in few months. Actually about half way through the trip it usually hits me that the trip is half over and I already start getting that blue feeling of realizing how fast time is going by. A year or so ago we were on the monorail heading back to BLT on our May trip and my wife could tell that something was bothering me. She said "what's wrong?" and I said "I just hate that it's time to leave again" and she said "WE'LL BE BACK IN SEPTEMBER!" LOL! I've just never been able to get "satisfied" when it comes down to it and honestly THAT is what makes the magic ultimately. It always leaves you wanting more and there's always more to experience and you'll NEVER do it all and DEFINITELY will never pack it all in to one trip.

KBLovedDisney

Again, off topic, but what are your thoughts on having a Disney trip after a family member (my dad) does pass? DH and I booked it last year and it is this coming April. He has a convention to go to in Orlando and decided to go ahead and schedule a Disney vacation right after. I know it will be soon after these really hard times, but do you think it would be selfish of me to go ahead with it?

drizgirl

Again, off topic, but what are your thoughts on having a Disney trip after a family member (my dad) does pass? DH and I booked it last year and it is this coming April. He has a convention to go to in Orlando and decided to go ahead and schedule a Disney vacation right after. I know it will be soon after these really hard times, but do you think it would be selfish of me to go ahead with it?

I think everyone is different and you should do what works for you. If it feels right, make your plans. But keep the options open and don't schedule anything that's not refundable. That way you can make your final decision closer to the time.

Tony the Tigger

I would play it by ear, mainly because you don't know how you're going to feel when that time comes.

When my dad died suddenly, I was 20 years old, and my employer at the time told me to take a few days off. No, I insisted I would come back to work the next day and I meant it at that moment. But when the day came, I was still a mess. And I didn't go in. Had to be with the family, etc.

We all grieve in different ways and in our own time. Bottom line, if you feel like going when the time comes, go! Don't worry about how it looks to anyone else. But if you're not ready, then postpone it.

Tony the Tigger

If you don't want to spend money, don't go. Quit complaining.
Hi, new member! Here is a link to the forum posting rules.

Those will help you navigate the site. Specifically, in this case:

“6. Do not bump threads unless you have something else to add to the discussion. Additionally, replying to discussions which have been inactive for several months or longer should be avoided unless you have something of value to add.”

NelleBelle

Illuminations - especially the song "We Go On" and the ending fireworks - especially when the world seems more volatile than usual. Notably, the 2nd time I saw it was shortly after 9/11, and I got choked up. I did again on my recent visit in December even though I've now seen it many times without such a reaction.

And when I went in October, before the election, for the first time I got choked up at the hall of presidents when Obama started to speak, because I knew he would be leaving soon, no matter who would replace him, and I have great appreciation and respect for him.

Beyond that, there's a general feeling of excitement and freedom there.
This! In fact, I started tearing just reading your post because you captured my exact sentiments perfectly! Illuminations makes me cry every time I hear the music💕

Pepper's Ghost

I always love necroposting. Fantastic! 🤣 I especially love when someone comes out of the blue to reprimand a comment from 6 years ago. 🤣 But now that this thread has been revived and I've never posted to it, I'm going to add to it other than making fun of the new member bump...

So, I'm a grown-@ss man... and I too get emotional about the silliest things sometimes. Btw, I'm not saying the OP getting emotional on Main St is silly, but just describing myself. I can't explain it either. I get emotional on Main St., but it has nothing to do with memories from childhood. My first time at Disney was as an adult in my mid-20s, and something about it made me slightly emotional... even the first time. Something about Wishes used to make me emotional, and I'm not even a Disney cartoon fan. I just love the parks and there was something about the music in that show that got to me. There are various movies where I get emotional at certain parts, and I can't explain it. I'm an emotional guy in general (no, not weepy), but I can't explain why certain part of some movies, some songs, or even just experiences where I have to slightly hide my reaction from anyone around me. I can't explain why it just happens. So effing weird. 🤣 What's funny is that almost no one knows that about me. It's not my reputation at all, but I feel safe saying it from behind my laptop screen. Some people use online anonymity to bully. I use it to confess inner feelings. 🤣

funny-crying-snoop-dogg-tears-sad-y2dijzgnr1zmrsvp.gif

Walt Disney1955

I am not an emotional man by any stretch of the imagination. I would say I am a sentimental and nostalgic man. Which is what Disney World was always meant to bring to the fans. I would say that with me there are some family ties that run deep. My grandparents were in their 60s and went to Magic Kingdom for the first time in 1973 with my dad, who was in his 20s. They loved it. My dad remembered rides they did that day and shows they saw and there is a nice tie to know that some of that stuff is still there, and much of it didn't change at all in 50 years.

MAGICFLOP

The Twilight zone did an episode in 1960 called "A Stop at Willoughby" it was abut a man who just wanted to leave the busy world and go back to a simpler time. Disney represents/inspires an escape emotion we secretly hunt for.

gota laugh reading my own post, I'm the guy that said 6 years ago I will never go back... and haven't..

Alanzo

The Twilight zone did an episode in 1960 called "A Stop at Willoughby" it was abut a man who just wanted to leave the busy world and go back to a simpler time. Disney represents/inspires an escape emotion we secretly hunt for.

gota laugh reading my own post, I'm the guy that said 6 years ago I will never go back... and haven't..

How about this exchange from Walking Distance, where a man revisits his childhood only to be told by his dad that you only get one chance to truly be young before you need to move on? Can't tell if it's informing me to move on from Disney or to make sure my kids feel the same way I did as a kid...

Robert Sloan: Martin.

Martin Sloan: Yes, Pop.

Robert Sloan: You have to leave here. There's no room, there's no place. Do you understand that?

Martin Sloan: I see that now, but I don't understand. Why not?

Robert Sloan: I guess because we only get one chance. Maybe there's only one summer to every customer. That little boy, the one I know - the one who belongs here - this is *his* summer, just as it was yours once. Don't make him share it.

Martin Sloan: Alright.

Robert Sloan: Martin, is it so bad where you're from?

Martin Sloan: I thought so, Pop. I've been living on a dead run, and I was tired. And one day I knew I had to come back here. I had to come back and get on the merry-go-round, and eat cotton candy, and listen to a band concert. I had to stop and breathe, and close my eyes and smell, and listen.

Robert Sloan: I guess we all want that. Maybe when you go back, Martin, you'll find that there are merry-go-rounds and band concerts where you are. Maybe you haven't been looking in the right place. You've been looking behind you, Martin. Try looking ahead.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom