Why do we get emotional?

Adam Snider

Original Poster
I can't be the only person who sheds a tear when they walk down Main Street, hear the parade music, watches wishes and plenty more. What makes us this way? Is it the nostalgia, the pure happiness or just all the childhood memories coming back at once. Or could it be a mixture between all of those? What at Disney world/land makes you emotional?

Tony the Tigger

Illuminations - especially the song "We Go On" and the ending fireworks - especially when the world seems more volatile than usual. Notably, the 2nd time I saw it was shortly after 9/11, and I got choked up. I did again on my recent visit in December even though I've now seen it many times without such a reaction.

And when I went in October, before the election, for the first time I got choked up at the hall of presidents when Obama started to speak, because I knew he would be leaving soon, no matter who would replace him, and I have great appreciation and respect for him.

Beyond that, there's a general feeling of excitement and freedom there.

SaLeone

Im a 25 year old man and i am not ashamed to say that i get emotional when i arrive to Main Street for the first time on every trip. I believe its the nostalgia of seriously being in the happiest place on earth. The combination of sights, smells & sounds automatically transports me back to when i was a little kid. As a little kid you dont have a care in the world & the nostalgia gives you all the feels as an adult. Im 33 days away from being back on Main Street and i can already have all the feels!

As far as other things that give me the feels? Splash Mountain & Peoplemover for sure!

Captain Barbossa

A lot of things make me emotional when at WDW. When I first walk through the gates of MK, I will look up at Main Street station and tell myself "your finally here". And if the train is arriving at the station at the time I look up and I hear the whistle blowing, I about loose it. Also Pirates of the Caribbean has a very strong emotional bond with me as well. The end of Splash Mountain means a lot to me too. The Hall of Presidents and The American Adventure can also get me choked up, because myself, and a hand full of other people, actually have a great love for this country and pay attention and appreciate the meaning of the attraction. Many other things around WDW make me emotional, but that's just to name a few.

bebert

For me it is a place that holds special memories of our first family vacation when my oldest daughter was 8 weeks old. To this day it is still the best vacation I have ever had. I was only at WDW once as a child so, to experience WDW with my children as they grow up is more special every time we go. Children grow up so fast, I am just glad I get to have these memories from when they are so young. I also truly believe we will all still go as a family as they go through college, move away and raise their own children.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Because we're human and the development of emotions was part of our evolutionary progress.

Oh, wait, you didn't want a physiological explanation to your question...

Triggers of childhood. I visited DLR last year. Hadn't been in 30 years. It was my first Disney park. When I saw Sleeping Beauty Castle, I nearly burst into tears. All those memories of going my first time with my now deceased parents came back. As I was getting ready to leave, I just sat there for 20 minutes, staring at that Castle....

JoeCamel

Enter through the right tunnel and turn left to go past stroller rental, stand behind the stairs looking through the railings. Best view in the world and is how I start every visit to the MK.

Herdman

We almost always go to the MK on our first day, and walking through that tunnel, making the turn and then staring down main street and seeing the castle....gets this old man teary every time. For me, I think it's the realization of just how special a place it is, and the fact that we can only go every 3-4 years in most instances. We vacation at the beach every year, but we are pretty sure we'll be back the next year so it's not too emotional when we arrive/leave. WDW is a special place for kids and every kid at heart.

drcasey

The feelings are hard to put into words for me. It definitely is some nostalgia...remembering when I was kid when anything was possible and everything was magical. Even as an adult walking down Main Street at rope drop...hearing the music and knowing that the day is full of possibilities. Disney is an escape from the harsh and often depressing demands of the real world and a reminder of what life is all about...happiness, wonder, excitement, and fun. The atmosphere of Disney is just not replicable anywhere else. It truly is magic

GVentola

When the tears happen to me, I call it DCR: Disney Crying Reflex. I have a hard time crying about things in my life ever since I refused to cry when my grandfather died. I think it's some kinda curse. But Disney parks and Disney animated movies can get me sometimes to shed a tear or get the sniffs. The American Adventure often does, especially when it goes from WWII to the musical montage, and that bald eagle is flying across the screen to the opening chords of "Golden Dream". But that's a pretty obvious one. Sometimes, I'll start getting DCR at weird moments. Unfortunately, I can't remember any of those weird moments right now.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
I teared up a little the first and last times I saw the Main Street Electrical Parade. To me, it represents one of the last beacons of classic Disney within the parks, and now that it's gone, part of that classic feeling has left with it.

BigRedDad

I do, but don't cry. Every time we go it reminds me of my dad fighting so hard with me to take my DD there when she was just 2 and we weren't in a financial situation to do so. I finally just caved in and went for the week. It reminded me of the times I could remember my dad taking us when we were kids. All the times going to Fort Wilderness, MK, and River Country. I remember all of us kids were grounded from the campsites for Happy Hour. We would run through the woods chasing armadillos, swimming in the lake, and just running about.

In the end, we found why he was pushing for the trip. We think he knew something wasn't right and planned trips with the entire family that year. His last trip he almost was airlifted off a cruise ship. He was diagnosed with cancer right after Thanksgiving and died from it on Dec 31. It only took 5 weeks from diagnosis to take him. For the first few trips to MK after, my DD would draw a picture or write a note to him. We get a Mickey balloon, tie it to it, and let it go to get to grandpa. It helped her because she didn't understand at 3 and still let her remember him. The CM that sold us the balloon looked at us like we were crazy. After I explained what we had done, she was almost crying. She gave DD another balloon.

KBLovedDisney

I do, but don't cry. Every time we go it reminds me of my dad fighting so hard with me to take my DD there when she was just 2 and we weren't in a financial situation to do so. I finally just caved in and went for the week. It reminded me of the times I could remember my dad taking us when we were kids. All the times going to Fort Wilderness, MK, and River Country. I remember all of us kids were grounded from the campsites for Happy Hour. We would run through the woods chasing armadillos, swimming in the lake, and just running about.

In the end, we found why he was pushing for the trip. We think he knew something wasn't right and planned trips with the entire family that year. His last trip he almost was airlifted off a cruise ship. He was diagnosed with cancer right after Thanksgiving and died from it on Dec 31. It only took 5 weeks from diagnosis to take him. For the first few trips to MK after, my DD would draw a picture or write a note to him. We get a Mickey balloon, tie it to it, and let it go to get to grandpa. It helped her because she didn't understand at 3 and still let her remember him. The CM that sold us the balloon looked at us like we were crazy. After I explained what we had done, she was almost crying. She gave DD another balloon.
My dad has just been given a timeline of weeks to maybe a month with his cancer yesterday. He too made sure we went to Disney World with or without him every other year because he knows how much we love the place. He made my brother promise him that he would take my mom this coming September on her birthday. Rough times man. Rough times.:(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom