Why do they not use the same ride systems within resorts?

mharrington

Original Poster
One thing I've noticed about Imagineering is them not replicating the same ride systems within resorts, especially WDW. The experience from the different rides notwithstanding, why haven't these ride systems used to make these experiences possible actually been replicated within the resorts, as well as across the resorts? Here are a few examples of ride tech for one resort (like Disneyland) and the same tech for another ride (like WDW):

Radiator Springs Racers and Test Track
Mater's Junkyard Jamboree and Alien Swirling Saucers (among other things)
Soarin' and Soarin'
Indiana Jones Adventure and Dinosaur
Grizzly River Run and Kali River Rapids
Goofy's Sky School and the defunct Primeval Whirl

I'm sure there are a few that I haven't listed, but it should give you an idea, hopefully.

Is there a reason the ride systems are not duplicated inside the resorts? And no, aerial spinners like Dumbo and 3D movies don't count. Neither do rides which have their own little quirks, like Buzz Lightyear, Haunted Mansion and Spaceship Earth all being Omnimovers, but Buzz having the ability to shoot at targets, or Small World and Pirates being boat rides, but Pirates going over a waterfall.

Robbiem

I know what you mean. There are a few - Pirates and Small world are very similar or in the past body wars and star tours or all the omnimover rides in Epcot. Its interesting that ride systems appear to be tied to a time period when Disney goes all out on a system then moves on to a new one - boats, omnimover, now trackless. The one system which is always popular is the coaster

mharrington

Original Poster
Kind of hard to answer the question when you arbitrarily choose to ignore the instances where the same ride system is used. The two most recent rides, which are in the same park, and next ride to open are all the same ride system.

Which two rides? Are you talking about Rise of the Resistance and Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway? I think they both have their little quirks. For instance, you get a slightly different experience of Runaway Railway than Resistance, depending on which ride vehicle you're in.

I know what you mean. There are a few - Pirates and Small world are very similar or in the past body wars and star tours or all the omnimover rides in Epcot. Its interesting that ride systems appear to be tied to a time period when Disney goes all out on a system then moves on to a new one - boats, omnimover, now trackless. The one system which is always popular is the coaster

Again, Pirates has one quirk, namely, going over a waterfall, which Small World does not have.

If Disney has reused systems before within resorts, why haven't they done so for, say, a "whip"-style ride? With the exceptions of Disneyland Resort Paris and Hong Kong Disneyland (and even they may get one at a later time), every resort has one, but only one per resort. To wit:

Mater's Junkyard Jamboree (California (CA Adventure))
Alien Swirling Saucers (Florida (Studios))
The Happy Ride With Baymax (Tokyo (Tokyo Disneyland))
Woody's Roundup (Shanghai (Shanghai Disneyland))

In the same vein, what about river rapids rides? Would it be redundant and kind of cannibalizing to have a second river rapids ride at Florida? Like, say, at Epcot or the Magic Kingdom?

Robbiem

I have no issues with reusing the same ride tech if the experience is different enough.

Pirates doesn’t feel the same as small world. But if you look at spinners Dumbo and Aladdin are very similar (except for size), astro orbiter feels a bit more thrilling to me because of the height and lift but is still ‘Dumbo on steroids’.

I think the best example is the test track ride system which is also used in radiator springs racers and Journey to the center of the earth you never feel on one of those its a redressed version of another ride in way Indy and dinosaur does or star tours and body wars did.

lazyboy97o

Which two rides? Are you talking about Rise of the Resistance and Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway? I think they both have their little quirks. For instance, you get a slightly different experience of Runaway Railway than Resistance, depending on which ride vehicle you're in.
Yes, they use the same ride system. You have just created this distinction of “quirks” that ignores this.

Oddly The only other ride that uses the same ride tech is...Spiderman & Transformers at USO...
Cat in the Hat and Men in Black: Alien Attack use the same ride system. Mart Kart will also use it when Epic Universe opens.

Also opening with Epic Universe will be another KUKA arm ride like Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey.

mharrington

Original Poster
Yes, they use the same ride system. You have just created this distinction of “quirks” that ignores this.

I was using my distinction of "quirks" to figure out how they use the same ride system in the parks without cannibalizing them.

Also, again, I ask: if Disney has reused systems before within resorts, why haven't they done so for, say, a "whip"-style ride? With the exceptions of Disneyland Resort Paris and Hong Kong Disneyland (and even they may get one at a later time), every resort has one, but only one per resort. To wit:

Mater's Junkyard Jamboree (California (CA Adventure))
Alien Swirling Saucers (Florida (Studios))
The Happy Ride With Baymax (Tokyo (Tokyo Disneyland))
Woody's Roundup (Shanghai (Shanghai Disneyland))

Is there a reason they don't have more than one "whip"-style ride in each resort? If so, why?

In the same vein, what about river rapids rides? Would it be redundant and kind of cannibalizing to have a second river rapids ride at the Florida resort? Like, say, at Epcot or the Magic Kingdom?

mharrington

Original Poster
Aren't whip rides like Mater's Junkyard Jamboree or Alien Swirling Saucers on the same level as aerial spinners like Dumbo or the Astro Orbiter? If so, how come they haven't duplicated whip rides within resorts? Is it because they're too new a technology to consider it?

lazyboy97o

Aren't whip rides like Mater's Junkyard Jamboree or Alien Swirling Saucers on the same level as aerial spinners like Dumbo or the Astro Orbiter? If so, how come they haven't duplicated whip rides within resorts? Is it because they're too new a technology to consider it?
They’re not traditional and/or off-the-shelf whip rides. They’re a proprietary design with a rather large footprint, including a basement, that are very very expensive. Zamperla has tried to get other parks interested in building similar rides but nobody has as of yet been willing due to the high cost. This is likely why they’ve only been built as part of a land expansion, they don’t really make financial sense as a standalone addition.

mharrington

Original Poster
They’re not traditional and/or off-the-shelf whip rides. They’re a proprietary design with a rather large footprint, including a basement, that are very very expensive. Zamperla has tried to get other parks interested in building similar rides but nobody has as of yet been willing due to the high cost. This is likely why they’ve only been built as part of a land expansion, they don’t really make financial sense as a standalone addition.

Are you saying that these rides' costs rival, if not exceed, those of E-ticket rides?

lazyboy97o

Are you saying that these rides' costs rival, if not exceed, those of E-ticket rides?
No, they do not cost anywhere near one hundred of million of dollars, much less hundreds of millions of dollars. Depending on what you are buying it would be easy to get 2-3 other flat rides.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Within the same park:
  • MK will have 5 coasters
  • MK has 3 boat rides: Jungle Cruise, It's a Small World, and PotC (excluding PotC because of a small drop doesn't make it a different ride system)
  • MK has 3 omnimovers: The Little Mermaid, HM, and Buzz (excluding Buzz because of the added shooter doesn't make it a different ride system)
  • MK: Excluding spinners is cheating for MK, which has four of them: Dumbo, Astro, Aladdin, Carousel.
  • EP has 3 boat rides: Gran Fiesta, LwtL, and FEA (excluding FEA because of a small drop doesn't make it a different ride system, but it does make it just like PotC in MK)
  • EP has two omnimovers: Spaceship Earth and Nemo
  • DHS has two LPS rides: MMRR, RotR
  • DHS has two coasters (both with launches!)
  • DHS has two simulators: Star Tours and Falcon
  • DL has 53 dark rides on tracks (maybe I'm exaggerating)
  • CA has two shooters: Midway Mania and Spider-Man

Cmdr_Crimson

How come there aren't more rapids rides on property? Is it because they would be cannibalizing other parks if they did?
I keep saying The Studios need a water ride and the Indy arena is the perfect fit for it to be themed to an Indy Temple Shoot the Chutes ride..
GoldenExhaustedArgentineruddyduck-size_restricted.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom