Why do they not use the same ride systems within resorts?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You've only been to DLR twice😯 I'm... surprised
Florida is far cheaper and far easier for us covid not withstanding for a lot of reasons. California is something we plan on doing again soon but it’s a bit of an epic trip from Manchester. Of course Paris is closer for a quick hop even if it’s being infected with Chapek more and more.

Cmdr_Crimson

First off, what does Tony Goldmark have to do with it? Secondly, neither the whip ride nor the river rapids ride are in Paradise/Pixar Pier.
It was just a bit of humor in that the more we get generic rides (Spinny thing, Droppy thing) in the parks kind of how Dino-Rama and The pier became a way of laziness to rides being themed to anything at the time..Six Flags is infamous for this example..And let's be greatful they don't take this route with Marvel.

DC Comics: We need an attraction that showcases are amazing villains from our expanded universe and give guests a spine chilling encounter they'll remember for years..

Six Flags: Say no more..
maxresdefault.jpg

Movielover

First off, what does Tony Goldmark have to do with it? Secondly, neither the whip ride nor the river rapids ride are in Paradise/Pixar Pier.
He's referencing when Tony does the mock commercial for Paradise Pier at 11:27 quote "Come ride the spinning thing! the other spinning thing! etc".

These ride types are more "limited" to what can be done with them than other ride types. Could you build more rapid rides? sure but the inward facing design and the free spinning nature of the rafts limits where and when guest can be looking at scenes or points of interest along the ride path. Look at what Universal had to do to adapt Jurassic Park River Adventure into the rapids ride format at Singapore, the climatic encounter with the T-Rex had to be moved from a forward facing pov to a vertical one with the Rex AA above the raft, same with the rapids ride at Shanghai Disney, the large gator AA is higher above the ride path than a Pirates type ride system.

In terms of the whip ride that system is much easier to theme to other properties as we have seen with the many different versions at the resorts, but it falls in line with the limited nature similar to the rapids and the spinners at MK, there is only so much you can do with the system. Haunted Mansion and Little Mermaid have completely different narratives, tone, style, etc while at the end of the day Mater's Junkyard Jamboree and Swirling Saucers deliver practically the same ride experience just with different window dressing. People already complain about how we have 4 spinners of the same type at MK, there would be an equal complaint level if we had 4 whip rides as well. Could they do it? Sure but I'd rather them put that money towards larger ride types that can provide a more unique experience.

duder

Florida is far cheaper and far easier for us covid not withstanding for a lot of reasons. California is something we plan on doing again soon but it’s a bit of an epic trip from Manchester. Of course Paris is closer for a quick hop even if it’s being infected with Chapek more and more.

I cant believe you havent been to Tokyo. Anyone that laments the state of WDW owes it to themselves to take a trip to TDLR.

cheezbat

He's referencing when Tony does the mock commercial for Paradise Pier at 11:27 quote "Come ride the spinning thing! the other spinning thing! etc".

These ride types are more "limited" to what can be done with them than other ride types. Could you build more rapid rides? sure but the inward facing design and the free spinning nature of the rafts limits where and when guest can be looking at scenes or points of interest along the ride path. Look at what Universal had to do to adapt Jurassic Park River Adventure into the rapids ride format at Singapore, the climatic encounter with the T-Rex had to be moved from a forward facing pov to a vertical one with the Rex AA above the raft, same with the rapids ride at Shanghai Disney, the large gator AA is higher above the ride path than a Pirates type ride system.

In terms of the whip ride that system is much easier to theme to other properties as we have seen with the many different versions at the resorts, but it falls in line with the limited nature similar to the rapids and the spinners at MK, there is only so much you can do with the system. Haunted Mansion and Little Mermaid have completely different narratives, tone, style, etc while at the end of the day Mater's Junkyard Jamboree and Swirling Saucers deliver practically the same ride experience just with different window dressing. People already complain about how we have 4 spinners of the same type at MK, there would be an equal complaint level if we had 4 whip rides as well. Could they do it? Sure but I'd rather them put that money towards larger ride types that can provide a more unique experience.
I’ve always thought flipping the seats to facing outward on a raft ride would be the next evolutionary step of raft rides….then you’d be able to see everything going on around you so much better….I wonder…

tl77

I'd rather they have several of the "low tech" flat dark rides like Pooh, Pinocchio, and Alice in Wonderland than 1 large high tech ride with a giant line that maybe you even get to see... like Star Wars Rise of the Resistance

Robbiem

I think its interesting that a lot of the unique really interesting ride systems disney or others develop aren’t used more. We get omnimovers or small world style boat rides but very few EMVs or kulka arm rides even though those systems could be used to tell so many different and varied stories

mharrington

Original Poster
In terms of the whip ride that system is much easier to theme to other properties as we have seen with the many different versions at the resorts, but it falls in line with the limited nature similar to the rapids and the spinners at MK, there is only so much you can do with the system. Haunted Mansion and Little Mermaid have completely different narratives, tone, style, etc while at the end of the day Mater's Junkyard Jamboree and Swirling Saucers deliver practically the same ride experience just with different window dressing. People already complain about how we have 4 spinners of the same type at MK, there would be an equal complaint level if we had 4 whip rides as well.

Exactly. I was pondering using the whip ride system for a Pinocchio ride at the Magic Kingdom (likely themed to Monstro), but the Studios is already home to the alien ride which is the same thing, and I don't want to just duplicate it across multiple parks within the same resort without making it somewhat different. Even the flying spinner rides have their quirks, with the Magic Carpets being able to pitch forward and backward while the Astro Orbiter is high up in the sky, giving it an extra thrill.

OG Runner

Exactly. I was pondering using the whip ride system for a Pinocchio ride at the Magic Kingdom (likely themed to Monstro), but the Studios is already home to the alien ride which is the same thing, and I don't want to just duplicate it across multiple parks within the same resort without making it somewhat different. Even the flying spinner rides have their quirks, with the Magic Carpets being able to pitch forward and backward while the Astro Orbiter is high up in the sky, giving it an extra thrill.

... and Dumbo as a third flying spinner ride in the Magic Kingdom.

LittleMerman

They use the same ride systems so they don't have to re-invent the wheel (literally) which saves time and money. And the experiences are different enough to make them unique and entertaining, unless they're replicated clones which is its own topic. For instance, the first time I rode Indiana Jones Adventure in DL I didn't realize it was the Dinosaur ride system, I just enjoyed the ride for what it was (and I had been on Dinosaur countless times). It took someone to point it out to me - and the average guest won't make the connections either. I don't think there's anything wrong with it - there are only so many ride systems to choose from and Disney doesn't have to invent a new one for each new attraction.

OG Runner

I would like to preface this by saying I enjoy both rides, but the Spiderman ride and the Transformers ride at Universal
are not only the same ride system but pretty much the same storyline. You are in danger, you get away. You end up
somewhere high, drop and are caught by the hero. Both are fun though and are always busy.

OG Runner

I know what you mean. There are a few - Pirates and Small world are very similar or in the past body wars and star tours or all the omnimover rides in Epcot. Its interesting that ride systems appear to be tied to a time period when Disney goes all out on a system then moves on to a new one - boats, omnimover, now trackless. The one system which is always popular is the coaster

Small World and Navi River Journey though not in the same park are the same ride system.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is interesting…actually asking for them to make copies of rides that become repetitive…

they went from no trackless…to killing it in wdw in 5 years flat…

do we want some more spinners now, too?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
How come there aren't more rapids rides on property? Is it because they would be cannibalizing other parks if they did?
You mean one bad one on each coast isn’t Enough? I don’t think water soak rides are en Vogue these days anyway.
But why haven't they been built?
They only build what the minimum they feel is necessary?
Unfunded? Change of plan?
Change of CEO to Walmart standards?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom