Why do the fans hate brands?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
But Starbucks wasn't around in the early 1900's and we all complain about milf being in tomorrowland and stuff like that
No we "all" don't. I could care less about them having MILF in TomorrowLand, which is has really been nothing more than ScienceFictionLand for quite some time. I also do not care about them having running water, electric lights and paved streets in FrontierLand. There reaches a certain point where attention to detail can be taken too far.

Dads 2 Boys

No we "all" don't. I could care less about them having MILF in TomorrowLand, which is has really been nothing more than ScienceFictionLand for quite some time. I also do not care about them having running water, electric lights and paved streets in FrontierLand. There reaches a certain point where attention to detail can be taken too far.

Holy crap......an opinion with perspective and intelligence. Nice job Yoda!

PhilharMagician

Many people have a basic dislike to sponsor signs placed within WDW largely because it "interferes" with their enjoyment of the theme parks. It is an intrusion of the outside world into WDW. The reaction is not logical; it's emotional. They want WDW to be "pure", never mind that TWDC is one of the largest corporations in the world.

One question. Then why does WDC sell WDW to be it's own ideazlized world and attempt to transport it's guests to this fairy tale place all while leaving the outside world where it is, "outside"?

Sponsor signs are not the big problem. It is like the OP said. It is all about how something os worded. When news comes out that Main St Bakery is being replace by Starbucks then I think you will see a typical Starbucks retail location set-up in the middle of Main Street which would be just as bad as putting Walmart across the street in the Emporium or a McDonalds @ Casey's. If it was said the the Main Street Bakery was temporarily closing for refurb and will be reopening and serving Starbuck beverages instead of Nescafe' then there would be a major differance in response from the fanbois. Like you said, the TWDC is one of the largest corporations in the world and they know their fans. The PR should have been more careful about the wording released, but I guess it doesn't matter since making statements that never hold true is common.

The reaction was logical and emotional at the same time. This was not about Siemens, Fedex or chevrolet sponsoring a ride this was all about putting your typical corner coffee shop found on most corners in the country and putting it in MY FANTASY WORLD. Thankfully that was not the case.

Matt7187

Ok, but also, in frontierland, the lights are at least themed to lanterns and all of the lands are like that in theming those things into the land.

Goofyernmost

Ok, but also, in frontierland, the lights are at least themed to lanterns and all of the lands are like that in theming those things into the land.

Well, look at it this way...Starbucks will try and act like it's coffee!:p Same thing! Bakery's and Coffee shops are things that go together.

Personally, I think that Starbucks is one of the finest brain washing companies that ever existed. They have convinced millions of people that something that doesn't even resemble coffee, is coffee and that everyone should pay an arm and a leg for the privilege of enjoying the status of saying..."I went to Starbucks" all the while patting themselves on the back for knowing how to order it.:cool: That said, it still isn't going to take over Main Street with large overhanging signs and the end result will be many happy people enjoying their caffeine laced Cool-Aid and those that don't will not really even notice that they are there.

Dad 2 M & M

I don't hate the brands; just think the Disney brand can stand on its own merits. I didn't have an issue with adding Starbucks to the bakery, as I didn't think it would change the menu offerings.

Yesterday Disney posted the following:

UPDATE 11/12: Here’s some additional information about our Walt Disney World Resort Starbucks locations. The Main Street Bakery will keep its name and theming when it reopens in early summer. It’ll also continue to serve Disney favorites like cookies, brownies and seasonal cupcakes, in addition to Starbucks signature beverages and other items. And for those of you who asked in comments, the cinnamon rolls are available at Gaston’s Tavern in New Fantasyland, and the ice cream sandwiches are available at Plaza Ice Cream Parlor on Main Street, U.S.A.

Does this mean that the cinnamon rolls and ice cream sandwich will no longer be offered at the bakery? Or is Disney just telling us where to go until the bakery re-opens? If it is the previous, that bothers me!! That will cause a wrinkle in our breakfast plans at least one day of our trip(s).

luv

I don't hate brands. I kinda-sorta don't like advertising while I'm trying to enjoy my vacation...ads are one of the things I'm attempting to escape...but it is what it is.

The Kodak thing at HISTA wasn't so terrible.

Changing the MSB is rubbing me the wrong way a bit, but I'm reserving judgement until I see the finished product.

sweetpee_1993

Disney + Dooney & Burke = awesome sauce!!! That's what I thought of when I read the thread title! LOL!

Not griping at all about sponsorships in the parks. Getting on the mailing list with GM after a spin on Test Track in September of last year ended up scoring us an additional $1500 off the new car we purchased last November. Not griping at ALL!

Sponsorships will be there. As long as the signage or other sponsor references are kept within the theme and not disruptive to the show, I have no problem with them. I can't think of any off the top of my head that felt irrelevant to their location or application in their sponsored area.

How about they get rid of Starbucks and put in a Cafe Du Monde?

Hot coffee and New Orleans style beignets. ;)

I hear ya but the theme would be slightly off for Main Street's bakery. Now in New Orleans Square/Disneyland...absolutely!!! Or even a little cafe over at POFQ! Yes! ((My boys are spoiled to Cafe DuMonde. They thought the POFQ beignets were like school cafeteria beignets. LOL!))

ParkMan73

I think it's really larger than Main Street or even Disney. Somewhere along the way we as a culture have become predisposed to think of all big companies as evil, soul-less enterprises. You could put pretty much any major consumer brand for which there is a mom & pop version in a Disney park and folks would complain. This wouldn't work for say a Sony TV, but for something like coffee, folks run around talking about how crappy the Starbucks coffee is.

awesomeinabox

I for one love brands. I will gladly carry my disney Dooney and Burke purse filled with Sephora's Disney brand lipstick and walk down Main Street USA swoonin over photos of Christian Loubouin's Disney Cinderella slipper that I look at on my apple iPhone after using it to check my Disney app all while drinking my Starbucks ( which has a white cup that will have some sort of Disneyesque logo on it).
I stopped seeing it as these brands taking over Disney but Disney taking over parts of these brands. Don't we all want a little more disney everywhere? What's so bad about the same stuff we buy outside the parks coming into the parks and being made just a bit more magical?

CountryBearFan

Imagine how much more you would pay to be in the parks if they weren't part of it. Actually, you might even have to imagine the park itself being there with out the outside support. o_O

That argument really doesn't hold water. There isn't one thing found in any of the locations on Main Street that existed in that time frame. How would you justify all of that and yet think that Starbucks doesn't fit because of it? They didn't have much in the line of running water or flush toilets during that time either, should that be left out? Oh, yea...the streets were all dirt and mud then too.

I would share your concern if I thought that they were going to tear out the front and make it look like a current day Starbucks, but they aren't going to do that. I'm sure they had coffee back in the beginning of the 20th century too, just maybe not that brand. There is nothing bad about it being there, there is nothing that is going to "kill" the image. In fact, within a week, it will go completely unnoticed except for those that have to have their coffee.

My thoughts exactly.

Also, everyone here should take a look at the Fiddler, Fifer & Practical Cafe at Disney California Adventure--that location already serves Starbucks-brand products, but still serves the usual Disney-made favorites as well. Not only that--Buena Vista Street is set in the 1920's, another time period in which Starbucks did not exist, yet I haven't heard many complaints about Starbucks products being served there or people make useless "theming" complaints. :p

Pure hypocrisy, if you ask me.

Tinkerbell 8

I don't have a problem with sponsors or brands inside Disney, as long as its done tastefully. As others have posted, when I go to WDW, I'm trying to escape the real world, that's why I put my cell phone away, I don't watch the news, and I completely let Disney World fill my every thought. That being said, I wouldn't like to walk down Main Street and see huge signs for places that exist in the outside world, however I've seen the pictures of Starbucks from DL and they did a great job incorporating it and making it not look like the 30 million other Starbucks that are on every corner. As for sponsorships, as someone else said, atleast you know that ride/pavalion has a better chance of actually working and not having pieces fall off and hit people in the head, unlike other rides currently in WDW. I would actually like more sponsors, specifically in EPCOT, they usually have some unique items in their shops so you aren't thrown in yet another Disney shop at the end of the ride.

Goofyernmost

I don't have a problem with sponsors or brands inside Disney, as long as its done tastefully. As others have posted, when I go to WDW, I'm trying to escape the real world, that's why I put my cell phone away, I don't watch the news, and I completely let Disney World fill my every thought. That being said, I wouldn't like to walk down Main Street and see huge signs for places that exist in the outside world, however I've seen the pictures of Starbucks from DL and they did a great job incorporating it and making it not look like the 30 million other Starbucks that are on every corner. As for sponsorships, as someone else said, atleast you know that ride/pavalion has a better chance of actually working and not having pieces fall off and hit people in the head, unlike other rides currently in WDW. I would actually like more sponsors, specifically in EPCOT, they usually have some unique items in their shops so you aren't thrown in yet another Disney shop at the end of the ride.

So how do you get past Coke, Edy's, Dole, Kodak and the hundreds of others that exist there? Starbucks is no different and I'm sure will not be any more obtrusive then the others.

Tinkerbell 8

So how do you get past Coke, Edy's, Dole, Kodak and the hundreds of others that exist there? Starbucks is no different and I'm sure will not be any more obtrusive then the others.
I'm somewhat confused at your post since I said I didn't have a problem with brands or sponsors if its done tastefully. I think that Coke, Edy's, Dole, Kodak are all done very well since there aren't billboards or huge signs everywhere advertising those items.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom