• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Why Disneyland’s $1 billion Star Wars land isn’t a bust despite flat attendance - OCR/SCNG

Jae Sea

Just imagine if they had built the original plans with Jabba's barge/palace restaurant, Mos Eisley Cantina, speederbike roller coaster, etc before the lameduck President Kathleen Kennedy nixed that and changed it all to the hilariously sad sequel trilogy. That land would be a literal money printing machine had they stuck with the original plans. Instead, they have to release shill articles like this lying about it and making excuses about how it's not a dud. They can turn this land around on day 1 by repurposing it to be the prequel and original trilogies rather than the new trilogy that is almost forgotten by most fans already. Fire Kathleen Kennedy!

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
Meh. Isn’t there already 1,138 other bitter Star Wars threads already? This is so 2019. There’s more important and valid things to ***** about. The Hive of Miserable Basterds indeed.

Smooch

Meh. Isn’t there already 1,138 other bitter Star Wars threads already? This is so 2019. There’s more important and valid things to ***** about. The Hive of Miserable Basterds indeed.

We're just responding to an article written trying to claim Disney intended to see such poor attendance for the land. Disney didn't spend $1 billion just to add extra space for the then current attendance numbers to remain the same, any expansion should be intended to drive up interest and attendance to the parks. They're trying to justify a genuinely poor reception to the land and we're calling it out, and we are stating why the land had the reception it did and among other reasons specific to the theme park elements like rides, entertainment, walkaround characters, etc. the fact that the ST had a poor reception is also certainly the reason. Had the ST been done better and liked more by both the general public and SW fans there would have been more interest in the land despite how much was cut from the plans. This is a thread specifically about GE which means we're gonna voice our opinions on the land and the ST as a whole, we aren't going around complaining about it on every thread. This is just something we can discuss aside from coronavirus and "when's DLR gonna reopen?" for the 4th month straight.

Lilofan

Just imagine if they had built the original plans with Jabba's barge/palace restaurant, Mos Eisley Cantina, speederbike roller coaster, etc before the lameduck President Kathleen Kennedy nixed that and changed it all to the hilariously sad sequel trilogy. That land would be a literal money printing machine had they stuck with the original plans. Instead, they have to release shill articles like this lying about it and making excuses about how it's not a dud. They can turn this land around on day 1 by repurposing it to be the prequel and original trilogies rather than the new trilogy that is almost forgotten by most fans already. Fire Kathleen Kennedy!
Wouldn't Kathleen Kennedy's decisions needed to be green lighted by her bosses like Iger??

Jae Sea

So what's "more important and valid" in your eyes because I'm sure you are the authority on that....?

Sharon&Susan

She prevented Gertie the Dinosaur being rethemed to the carcass of some dead Star Wars creature, weird sci-fit stuff from being glued onto that Rocketteer shop, and turning the Svi-Fi Drive In to the new hot spot for Food & Wine Visitors.

Kathleen Kennedy does not seem to be one for lazy rethemes and that's a good thing in my book. If only Kevin Fegie had said no to retheming to TOT, and maybe we could've gotten a good Marvel area without a Toy Story Shooter ride clone.

el_super

We're just responding to an article written trying to claim Disney intended to see such poor attendance for the land. Disney didn't spend $1 billion just to add extra space for the then current attendance numbers to remain the same, any expansion should be intended to drive up interest and attendance to the parks.

If you don't like the place, that's certainly one thing. I'm definitely not spending a lot of time over there. But trying to claim that the article is inaccurate, and using your personal feelings as proof of that, is folly. The expansion is certainly not a failure. Revenues were up after the opening. The reservations for the light sabers and bar were booked solid for weeks. Rise of the Resistance tickets were the hardest to obtain and the level of interest in it, generated its very own daily tracking thread here. I also don't really think that saying attendance was flat at the second most attended theme park on the planet is really the embarrassing condemnation some here are painting it as.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
We're just responding to an article written trying to claim Disney intended to see such poor attendance for the land. Disney didn't spend $1 billion just to add extra space for the then current attendance numbers to remain the same, any expansion should be intended to drive up interest and attendance to the parks. They're trying to justify a genuinely poor reception to the land and we're calling it out, and we are stating why the land had the reception it did and among other reasons specific to the theme park elements like rides, entertainment, walkaround characters, etc. the fact that the ST had a poor reception is also certainly the reason. Had the ST been done better and liked more by both the general public and SW fans there would have been more interest in the land despite how much was cut from the plans. This is a thread specifically about GE which means we're gonna voice our opinions on the land and the ST as a whole, we aren't going around complaining about it on every thread. This is just something we can discuss aside from coronavirus and "when's DLR gonna reopen?" for the 4th month straight.

Okay but how is this thread different than the others? It’s getting old.

Jae Sea

She prevented Gertie the Dinosaur being rethemed to the carcass of some dead Star Wars creature, weird sci-fit stuff from being glued onto that Rocketteer shop, and turning the Svi-Fi Drive In to the new hot spot for Food & Wine Visitors.

Kathleen Kennedy does not seem to be one for lazy rethemes and that's a good thing in my book. If only Kevin Fegie had said no to retheming to TOT, and maybe we could've gotten a good Marvel area without a Toy Story Shooter ride clone.
TOT is outstanding rethemed as GoG...and Marvel is getting their own land now - pending pandemic outcome.

Lazy rethemes for Kennedy? Guess you haven't read this thread and the people talking about how lazy GE is with the pelican cases everywhere.

DDLand

I’ll say it again. If Disney’s goal was to decrease attendance by raising prices, they could have avoided building a $1 billion dollar land. All they needed to do was... raise prices. If they wanted a new marketable ride they could have built an expansion to an existing land at a fraction of the price. This was not sold as incremental or to decrease crowding. Star Wars Land was sold as something that would radically increase attendance at Disneyland Resort. Hence the new parking garage, new hotel, new DVC, enhancements to walkways, etc. Local partners like Anaheim, Gardenwalk, and other hoteliers were expecting sizable attendance increases. The original gate tax deal was premised on Galaxy’s Edge being so popular that hotel tax revenue alone would more than compensate the no gate tax deal.

This gaslighting is unbelievable

Such a success that they cut cast members, cut hours, and added ticket promotions and the electrical parade last minute?

Disney never admits their failures.

Can't wait for Kim Irvine in 10 years to tell people that the average guest "wasn't smart enough" to understand Galaxy's Edge "storytelling" by WDI and that it was ahead of its time.

I still don't see how the land lets you live your own Star Wars Adventure.
Kim Irvine is not my favorite. This last castle redo told us everything we need to know about her artistic abilities...
From the article below, near the end:

...But giving guests a more active role is far from an exact science.

In 2014, Disneyland for instance introduced the live-action role-playing game the Legends of Frontierland. For several weeks, visitors were allowed to essentially battle for control of a fictional town set within the park’s vision of the Old West. Players could complete various tasks in the hopes of amassing little wooden tokens, “bits,” which could be used to buy land or bribe others. The team with the most land would win.

Today, Trowbridge describes Legends of Frontierland as a “spectacular failure.” The game’s economy system quickly proved troublesome. It lacked rules, and therefore players made their own. Trowbridge said guests were stealing latex gloves from food stands and blowing them up to create makeshift chickens in the hopes of selling them for bits.

“Guests were actually like, ‘Hey! Who wants to buy my chicken?’” Trowbridge says. “It was amazing to watch how much our guests wanted to play — that part was clear. But we also realized an in-game economy is a very tricky thing to manage. As an experiment, it was incredibly successful. As a prototype of ‘could we build this thing’ it was completely unsustainable.”

These comments make me think Trowbridge is an insincere hack. Watch this video. The end is extremely perplexing in light of these comments he just made:

In the video Trowbridge uses Legends of Frontierland as an EXAMPLE of a successful experiment. He even mentions the chickens! The whole role playing initiative Disney has been pushing is stupid. Theme park attractions are successful because they can swallow thousands of guests economically and simply and tell incredible stories. These sorts of games cannot scale within current technological constraints.

Star Wars is (I should say was) awesome. It has so many great characters, environments, and themes to draw off of.

Disney used to be the kings of themed entertainment. Yet their blockbuster Star Tours attraction from 1986 has more soul and fun than the entire land. Rise is a great ride though.

But a huge land that is the size of 1/3rd of Disneyland and has no heart and soul or charm? That's insane to me.

The only show is a guy in a uniform getting yelled at by Kylo Ren and then the 2 storm troopers from Tommorowland harassing people. Not one alien to interact with and it took them 5 months to add R2D2, which is incredibly rare to see.

For a Star Wars Land with a setting like this I would LOVE to see walk around aliens, droids, criminals getting into battles with their blasters, criminals fighting storm troopers, etc.

I mean is it too much to ask for Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Princess Leia, and Darth Vader in a Star Wars Land?
Star Tours provides the template. The queue is so alive with characters, aliens, and droids. It feels so cool! Think of Smuggler’s Run. The queue is a missed opportunity. There is practically no kinetics. It’s boring. There are more animated figures in the first room of Star Tours than the entire Millennium Falcon attraction. I wanted a Star Wars land where I could see droids and aliens up to crazy antics. Animated figures should have been sprinkled throughout the land. Where I differ is these should not be roaming or actors. Actors can be fired and droids will be destroyed by guests. They should have been integrated into small show scenes. The land should have been like a walking tour.

The force not making an appearance was also shortsighted. Missed opportunities all around...

Also the Blue Milk is putrid!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom