Why Disneyland’s $1 billion Star Wars land isn’t a bust despite flat attendance - OCR/SCNG

Phroobar

I think it's because the person Disney chooses for this stuff are choreographers who usually work with the girls in the parades; Ladies Maids doing the Waltz around Cinderella, or flouncy swans swirling around Belle, or go-go girls doing the Pony around Buzz Lightyear, etc.

Then suddenly they've got this made up female character who is supposed to be "tough" and "self confident", so the parade choreographer thinks that ineffective fight pose is what it looks like.

It only serves to make cringey and dumb Vi Moradi, Presented by Clairol ColorSilk look even cringier and dumber.

jbareham_190531_ply0909_1777.jpg
I kind of like the hair. It makes her rebellious. ;)
Besides, do you know much a wormtail hat would cost vs. a wig?

TP2000

I kind of like the hair. It makes her rebellious. ;)

Yes, because the Clairol blue hair dye sold at every Target in America is really pushing boundaries in 2020. 🤣

She is a "Rebel spy", after all. How much longer until that description of being a "rebel" in Star Wars Land gets removed from any mention, because the Confederate Army and it's Southern supporters called themselves "rebels"?

Phroobar

Yes, because the Clairol blue hair dye sold at every Target in America is really pushing boundaries in 2020. 🤣

She is a "Rebel spy", after all. How much longer until that description of being a "rebel" in Star Wars Land gets removed from any mention, because the Confederate Army and it's Southern supporters called themselves "rebels"?
Rebel, freedom fighter, terrorist. It's all on which side you support. Vlad the Impaler was seen as one of the greatest Romanian rulers but to the Ottomans he was Dracula.

Last edited:

TP2000

Why is it that the Citizens of Buena Vista Street are so beloved on here whereas Vi Moradi is constantly dragged?

I think it's because she's basically the only one there. They opened a giant new land and populated it with a pair of bored Stormtroopers, Chewbacca (who had the day off when I went), Kylo Ren instead of Darth Vader, and Vi Moradi. And then Disney's PR machine, with no real land entertainment to talk about, had to hype dumb Vi as if she was this exciting new character we all cared about and needed in our lives.

If Vi Moradi was just one of a collection of walk around characters, in addition to the roaming droids and rooftop stunt shows and interactive bounty hunters and alien bands that Disney itself had been telling us since 2015 would "populate" Star Wars Land, then Vi Moradi would be fine.

But the entire land's live entertainment rests on her slender shoulders and that bad wig.

If they opened Buena Vista Street without the Five & Dime jazz band driving around in the Duesenberg, without the Red Car News Boys singing from the trolley windows, without Mickey and Minnie and Goofy in their 1920's Flapper attire, and with only one character as the lone Citizen of Buena Vista Street instead of a group of them, we would have made fun of that. Luckily, they opened and operated Buena Vista Street with a full complement of land entertainment; musicians, singers, dancers, characters, live interactive actors.

If they had opened Buena Vista Street with only this lady, we would have made fun of TDA mercilessly.

2014-05-23_0029.jpg

Last edited:

Phroobar

I think it's because she's basically the only one there. They opened a giant new land and populated it with a pair of bored Stormtroopers, Chewbacca (who had the day off when I went), Kylo Ren instead of Darth Vader, and Vi Moradi. And then Disney's PR machine, with no real land entertainment to talk about, had to hype dumb Vi as if she was this exciting new character we all cared about and needed in our lives.

If Vi Moradi was just one of a collection of walk around characters, in addition to the roaming droids and rooftop stunt shows and interactive bounty hunters and alien bands that Disney itself had been telling us since 2015 would "populate" Star Wars Land, then Vi Moradi would be fine.

But the entire land's live entertainment rests on her slender shoulders and that bad wig.

If they opened Buena Vista Street without the Five & Dime jazz band driving around in the Duesenberg, without the Red Car News Boys singing from the trolley windows, without Mickey and Minnie and Goofy in their 1920's Flapper attire, and with only one character as the lone Citizen of Buena Vista Street instead of a group of them, we would have made fun of that. Luckily, they opened and operated Buena Vista Street with a full complement of land entertainment; musicians, singers, dancers, characters, live interactive actors.

If they had opened Buena Vista Street with only this lady, we would have made fun of TDA mercilessly.

2014-05-23_0029.jpg
Which makes it a complete mystery why they ignored a new land based on a hugly popular franchise but gave BV street life.

Screamface

Supposedly with the introduction of the Veil of the Force? in one of the animated shows,

I would put money on they just ignore the sequels in the Disney+ Star Wars. Don't bother explaining, making a big point, fuss or anything. It'll just be different. Nothing will be produced around the sequels, they'll just quietly slip away. Veil of the force will be the excuse, but I don't expect anything significant around it. Some of the rumors are wild, like recasting Luke Skywalker, I just don't see it for live action.

Smuggler's Run will get an update, include Han. One day they will just change the Dish of the Falcon. It makes sense. ROTR will probably just remain as is.

EPCOTCenterLover

I think it's because the person Disney chooses for this stuff are choreographers who usually work with the girls in the parades; Ladies Maids doing the Waltz around Cinderella, or flouncy swans swirling around Belle, or go-go girls doing the Pony around Buzz Lightyear, etc.

Then suddenly they've got this made up female character who is supposed to be "tough" and "self confident", so the parade choreographer thinks that ineffective fight pose is what it looks like.

It only serves to make cringey and dumb Vi Moradi, Presented by Clairol ColorSilk look even cringier and dumber.

OCR-L-SW-OPENING-22-0601-JAG.jpg
We ran into Vi in Florida in the late summer of 2019. She was fully in character, convincing, and a whole lot of fun.

180º

2014-05-23_0029.jpg
But they did open it with stormtroopers, Rey, Chewie, Kylo Ren, and First Order officers. There's even a little show in front of the TIE fighter. Then they added R2-D2. I don't see how that's much different from Buena Vista Street. An attraction as hyped as SWGE should absolutely have more characters, but its current lineup isn't exactly embarrassing compared to other lands.

In fact, I agree that Galaxy's Edge's entertainment offerings slap of being, well, slapped together. Of all the characters, only Vi Moradi and Rey benefit from land-specific designs. I just don't get the Vi hate.

MoonRakerSCM

Vi Moradi accused me of sexism after she misunderstood my friend and then actively belittled me in front of everyone for being a sexist white male.

I'm actually not making that up and have witnesses. I hate her... only character in a Disney park to make me feel bad about myself.

Can we get rid of her since she bullied me? #BullyVi #SexistVi

SSG

The Mandalorian TV show established that the Mandalorian people are scattered around the galaxy after their planet was conquered. Why not put an enclave of Mandos in GE? Put on a show where an Armorer tells heroic stories. Get kids up there to get fitted with Mando helmets. And sell the helmets of course. I'd watch that.

TP2000

But they did open it with stormtroopers, Rey, Chewie, Kylo Ren, and First Order officers. There's even a little show in front of the TIE fighter. Then they added R2-D2. I don't see how that's much different from Buena Vista Street. An attraction as hyped as SWGE should absolutely have more characters, but its current lineup isn't exactly embarrassing compared to other lands.

In fact, I agree that Galaxy's Edge's entertainment offerings slap of being, well, slapped together. Of all the characters, only Vi Moradi and Rey benefit from land-specific designs. I just don't get the Vi hate.

So it sounds like you're marketing slogan would be...

Visit Star Wars Land: None Of The Characters You Love Except Chewbacca, Yet Almost As Entertaining As Buena Vista Street During A Shift Change! Ahora!

That's not exactly a winning slogan. It also explains why few people showed up in 2019.

Poor Vi Moradi. I know the actress tries hard, and only her hairdresser knows for sure. But she just couldn't turn the tide.

TP2000

Vi Moradi accused me of sexism after she misunderstood my friend and then actively belittled me in front of everyone for being a sexist white male.

I'm actually not making that up and have witnesses. I hate her... only character in a Disney park to make me feel bad about myself.

Can we get rid of her since she bullied me? #BullyVi #SexistVi

Geez. That sounds like a story worth telling. 🧐

When I went to Star Wars Land for the first time, on a very slow June evening in 2019, all I saw was two bored Stormtroopers, a Cantina hostess on the verge of a nervous breakdown, and a bunch of CM's in the stores ignoring customers while they talked among themselves about how galling it was to be scheduled to work the 4th of July and how "legit" Katie's party was last weekend in Fullerton.

I think I got jipped.

Especially as a white man who should have been accused of being a horrible racist for no apparent reason. Again.

Last edited:

smooch

Supposedly with the introduction of the Veil of the Force? in one of the animated shows, they'd be able to retcon this as a possible future that could easily be taken away. People point to the mirrors in ROTR where Rey faces an evil version of herself through this Veil of the Force. The movies would take on a legend status and boom start over. Rumors like this are a dime a dozen but one of the people saying this has been right in the past on stuff. The cancelling of the Star Wars celebration both this year and next says to me they are planning a new future especially since KK's contract expires next year and it's obvious they are moving on without her.

See I just feel like it's still a stretch to turn their 3 trilogy movies into Legends. I understood the old unofficial stories becoming Legends, but I feel like the general population would be wayyy too dumb to realize it even if they started the first movie with a 40 minute explanation of how everything was actually a possible future. They would need to introduce the Veil of the Force in an official movie, they can't put it in a TV show or comic or video game and tell people to watch that show to realize what happened, they would need to dedicate actual movie time to it. Like I said, I would like to see them do it just for the fact of getting another 3 movies and hopefully a better story, I'm assuming this means they would keep the core characters but different story? Like still have Luke, Rey, Kylo, Finn, Poe, etc. but everything goes different? If that's the case I would LOVE to see more Ben Solo, I liked his character in the comics I read and even the short amount of screentime he got in RoS before kissing Rey and dying. They threw away so many things: if Finn was Force sensitive like JJ Abrams claimed after the fact then the story of an escaped Stormtrooper turned Jedi is an awesome idea. The Knights of Ren were criminally underused aside from standing on top of a rock in a desert and then dying to Ben Solo. All of Luke's character in the second movie was a joke, even as someone who has come around a bit on TLJ I still think having Luke as a hermit throwing his lightsaber over his shoulder and pouting and getting knocked to the ground in a fight against Rey was all silly. I don't want Luke to just be the same but older, he definitely could have had troubles that caused him to hide on the island, but just the way he was portrayed was awful. Same with Han and Leia splitting and making Han a divorced smuggler with a midlife crisis before getting murdered. The worst part of it all though is that since Carrie Fisher passed away we'll never get to see Han, Luke, and Leia on together on screen again. ☹

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom