Why Disneyland’s $1 billion Star Wars land isn’t a bust despite flat attendance - OCR/SCNG

Phroobar

In other news, Disney intentionally over-produced millions of unsellable dolls and other junk that would rot on store shelves in actuality so they could be clearanced for 25 cents and made affordable for low-income families. Of course! Why didn't we see it all along?

View attachment 484568

It's a runaway success!
These are sold out everywhere years ago. Here is a current ebay listing.

Last edited:

October82

In all fairness, HP at USH was met with a yawn too. Probably because it opened years later there. You do have a good point.

The land needed life. It needed roaming droids and aliens. The stationary stuff should have moved. There should have been Force powers via the phone or lightsaber. There should have been live entertainment (Jedi Training Academy). All of it got cut for expensive upcharge experiences. Both rides should have opened together.

The same thing will happen to DCA's Avengers Campus.

Let's just hope that the interpretation is not "no need for more investment, nothing we do will increase attendance", and is instead "perhaps we should think through what we invest in a bit more".

mickEblu

In all fairness, HP at USH was met with a yawn too. Probably because it opened years later there. You do have a good point.

The land needed life. It needed roaming droids and aliens. The stationary stuff should have moved. There should have been Force powers via the phone or lightsaber. There should have been live entertainment (Jedi Training Academy). All of it got cut for expensive upcharge experiences. Both rides should have opened together.

The same thing will happen to DCA's Avengers Campus.

Yeah it was met with a yawn including one from myself. I mean the land and the restaurant were cool but the ride was so overhyped that by the time I got to ride it at USH it could never meet expectations. I also went on a hot summer day which kind of takes away from the Potter land experience.

Yeah GE needs all of that stuff and more.

The only thing that can save Avengers Campus are our low expectations.

Last edited:

waltography

This is really the disappointing part of GE for me. The bones of the land are solid imo, and clearly the infrastructure for live entertainment is there, but it's sad to walk through areas that are clearly stages and scaffolds and feeling like they've been abandoned somehow.

I'd love to see mix of live music (like Celestina Warbeck was for Diagon Alley), more characters like Vi (Oga, Zabaka, etc.), and more of the unannounced action sequences like they did during the press opening.

Figments Friend

Just build 'Discovery Bay' where it should have been built all those years ago and be done with it.
:)

'Galaxy's Edge' can remain in Florida as its a absolutely perfect fit in that particular Park.
Disneyland deserves better...and diversity in Attractions between the two U.S. Disney properties is a major plus.

'Discovery Bay'
Now more then ever!
:cool:

-

BuzzedPotatoHead89

I’ll say I thoroughly enjoyed RoTR, but the launch of SWGE was an abysmal failure. The silver lining may have been increased merchandising and food sales but this is a moving of the original goal posts.

I do think there is room for growth with Galaxy’s Edge though I doubt we’ll see the necessary infusion in capital. One though it had is it would be nice if (given that Fantasmic and the fireworks are likely cancelled for the foreseeable future), there could be more $$ reallocated in roaming droids and masked characters/storm troopers. Perhaps a walking C3PO, more R-series droids and walk around Weequay pirates and Mandalorians, for instance.

Maybe even a media day style mini show on the stages above the land on a semi-hourly basis while capacity is limited could work to infuse life into the land.

MoonRakerSCM

These are sold out everywhere years ago. Here is a current ebay listing.

Another ebay listing for the same thing, $2.99, oh and that also includes Hux as well... so ~a buck fiddy for Rose.

SuddenStorm

TP2000

Brady has been on my "ignore" list ever since the mid-00's when wrote a story about how he was OUTRAGED!!1!!1! that DL wouldn't let his wife into the park on a day that her AP was blacked out, even though it was her birthday (this was prior to the "What Will You Celebrate?" campaign with free birthday admission). It's a shame that one of the biggest metropolitan areas in the country with several world-class theme parks doesn't have a halfway-decent reporter to cover them.

I just posted in another thread how I couldn't quite remember the Haunted Mansion's stretching room spiel, but somehow this infamous incident is emblazoned on my memory like it happened yesterday. And on this obscure Disneyland tale my memory is a tad sharper than yours, my friend. :)

Brady McDonald's wife, Nancy Luna, was the Food critic for the OC Register back in the 2000's, and her name is inextricably linked to the concept of entitled Annual Passholders. She was a Karen a decade before they existed.

It was March, 2009 when Disneyland had the "Get In Free On Your Birthday!" promotion in 2009 in the wake of the financial crisis of '08 when the economy collapsed into the Great Recession (which makes you wonder what they'll roll out in '21 for a New Great Depression).

Ms. Luna had a lower level Annual Pass to Disneyland, and because her legal birthday fell on a Saturday and thus a blockout date in March of '09, she was given a free ticket to enter Disneyland on her birthday. But she already had an AP and had been to Disneyland a dozen times already that year, and she wanted the "free" $79 gift card that was offered to Premium Annual Passholders who had paid for 365 days of admission to Disneyland. (Disneyland one park tickets cost $79 in '09) But she wasn't eligible for that. She was eligible for free admission on her birthday, which was a blockout date for her lower level of AP. She was devastated. She was furious. And she cried at the guest services window in the Esplanade but the mean CM wouldn't budge and would only offer her a free ticket into the park that day. She demanded to speak to a manager, again a decade before Karen entered the national lexicon. But the manager wouldn't budge either, and only offered her a free ticket into the park that day. Plus some Kleenex for her tears. Happy Birthday!

So her husband, Brady MacDonald, wrote all about this insulting and traumatic experience his wife had to endure on her birthday in his travel column in the Los Angeles Times. And both he and his wife were summarily ravaged on message boards and blogs of the day. As they should be.

Fast forward 11 years, and now Brady MacDonald is doing what every journalist still barely employed by what's left of American journalism is doing; he's shilling for and sucking up to whatever big company asks him to.

I had no idea what happened to his wife Nancy Luna, the OC Register is a hollow shell of its former self, but a quick Google search just led me to this hilarious career update...

"Nancy Luna is a senior editor at Nation's Restaurant News. She covers the industry's largest and most talked about fast-food brands including McDonald's, Starbucks, Chipotle Mexican Grill, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, KFC and Subway."

Oh, how the mighty have fallen. I wonder if she cries at the McDonald's shift manager if her Big Mac is mushier than usual?

Last edited:

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I just posted in another thread how I couldn't quite remember the Haunted Mansion's stretching room spiel, but somehow this infamous incident is emblazoned on my memory like it happened yesterday. And on this obscure Disneyland tale my memory is a tad sharper than yours, my friend. :)

Brady McDonald's wife, Nancy Luna, was the Food critic for the OC Register back in the 2000's, and her name is inextricably linked to the concept of entitled Annual Passholders. She was a Karen a decade before they existed.

It was March, 2009 when Disneyland had the "Get In Free On Your Birthday!" promotion in 2009 in the wake of the financial crisis of '08 when the economy collapsed into the Great Recession (which makes you wonder what they'll roll out in '21 for a New Great Depression).

Ms. Luna had a lower level Annual Pass to Disneyland, and because her legal birthday fell on a Saturday and thus a blockout date in March of '09, she was given a free ticket to enter Disneyland on her birthday. But she already had an AP and had been to Disneyland a dozen times already that year, and she wanted the "free" $79 gift card that was offered to Premium Annual Passholders who had paid for 365 days of admission to Disneyland. (Disneyland one park tickets cost $79 in '09) But she wasn't eligible for that. She was eligible for free admission on her birthday, which was a blockout date for her lower level of AP. She was devastated. She was furious. And she cried at the guest services window in the Esplanade but the mean CM wouldn't budge and would only offer her a free ticket into the park that day. She demanded to speak to a manager, again a decade before Karen entered the national lexicon. But the manager wouldn't budge either, and only offered her a free ticket into the park that day. Plus some Kleenex for her tears. Happy Birthday!

So her husband, Brady MacDonald, wrote all about this insulting and traumatic experience his wife had to endure on her birthday in his travel column in the Los Angeles Times. And both he and his wife were summarily ravaged on message boards and blogs of the day. As they should be.

Fast forward 11 years, and now Brady MacDonald is doing what every journalist still barely employed by what's left of American journalism is doing; he's shilling for and sucking up to whatever big company asks him to.

I had no idea what happened to his wife Nancy Luna, the OC Register is a hollow shell of its former self, but a quick Google search just led me to this hilarious career update...

"Nancy Luna is a senior editor at Nation's Restaurant News. She covers the industry's largest and most talked about fast-food brands including McDonald's, Starbucks, Chipotle Mexican Grill, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, KFC and Subway."

Oh, how the mighty have fallen. I wonder if she cries at the McDonald's shift manager if her Big Mac is mushier than usual?
Why where higher AP's offered a $79 gift cards and what were the qualifications to get one?

truecoat

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Look forward to this when DL opens , no eating or drinking while walking :

Good. This is how it should be. You wana eat or snack, find a spot and stay there. Wana drink. stop take off your mask, take your sip, then put your mask back on. Too many people thought as long as they had a Mickie Ice Cream Bar or a bottle of water they can walk around the park with no masks on. This puts an end to that nonsense.

mmelka

I will certainly be in the minority, but I really enjoy Galaxy's Edge. Do I think that it should be in the original DL and not in DCA? Yes, but there wasn't room, and the transitions from Critter/Frontier/Fantasy all make it feel like you are leaving DL and enterting a "new" place. I won't say that there isn't room for improvement for GE. More roaming droids/actors would really help bring in more immersion, use the upper stages for "shows" and add more kinetic energy to the land. GE at night though is really spectacular looking, it seems very foreign and mysterious at night where during the day it can be underwhelming with the lack of color. The suggestion of another ride, or an expanded cantina/dining show, and the use of force powers with lightsabers would be really welcome changes in my mind. The lack of a ride without a height requirement hurts the land for families with smaller children.

I will finish with that Galaxy's Edge is just a year old, we tend to judge it against other well developed lands such as New Orleans Square and Frontierland that have had 50+ years to get it right. There is no saving Pixar Pier though, burn it to the ground for insurance money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom