Why Disneyland’s $1 billion Star Wars land isn’t a bust despite flat attendance - OCR/SCNG

Disney Irish

Premium Member

I think its been pretty understood for awhile now that Kennedy would be leaving Lucas once her contract was up next year. What wasn't happen is her leaving early, as has been rumored, speculated, and hoped for by the fanbois.

As for the rest of the Hamill/Lucas takeover of Star Wars rumors, I don't buy that rumor just yet. Too many rumors over the course of the last 5 years haven't come true, so not buying it until its basically confirmed by Disney themselves.

Screamface

If they were ever going to do anything with George related to a remake. It would simply be an animated version of his original treatments. Which would be done as an alternate universe type thing. I'm sure he wouldn't do it without Filoni being heavily involved. They will be adapted at some point, it just depends how long they wait, what format and if they want Lucas involved.

The number of people giving any credence to a rumor from LORD DOOMCOCK without even the slightest bit of self-awareness is amazing/frightening to me.

Better than Mike Zeroh channel, I think that's the channels name. He completely seems to make everything up from scratch. Doomcock has seemed to have some stuff that has turned out somewhat correct. I think.. haha

Last edited:

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Aloha,
Is there any truth that Kathleen Kennedy is departing Disney which is opening the door/encouraging George Lucas and his team to join Disney to revive the entire SW IP including the movies and SWGE?
Will Kennedy depart when her contract is up? Maybe. Will George Lucas come back? Why should he? He sold the franchise because he was done with it. If he was still interested in it and wanted to continue to tell his stories, he wouldn't have sold it in the first place. Perhaps if they asked him to be a consultant he might, but I think Disney would rather keep it to themselves and just try a different direction/leadership.

Not sure what you meant by his (Lucas') "team". When Lucasfilm was sold to Disney they didn't fire everyone and rehire new people. Dozens of people stuck around and several dozen people from Lucasfilm/ILM that worked on the prequels also worked on the sequels. Doug Chiang was lead concept artist for the prequels as well as the sequels (and Galaxy's Edge, Mandalorian, etc.). Matthew Wood, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren, Ian McCaig, Dave Filoni, even John Williams and many more stuck around after the leadership change. In fact, except for leadership change and different story writers, the "team" is mostly still around. A team that all worked under Lucas.

Go to IMDb's advanced search and look for names of people that both worked on Episode 1 and Episode 9. Over 50 names show up from art, sound, make-up, effects, you name it.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Will Kennedy depart when her contract is up? Maybe. Will George Lucas come back? Why should he? He sold the franchise because he was done with it. If he was still interested in it and wanted to continue to tell his stories, he wouldn't have sold it in the first place. Perhaps if they asked him to be a consultant he might, but I think Disney would rather keep it to themselves and just try a different direction/leadership.

Not sure what you meant by his (Lucas') "team". When Lucasfilm was sold to Disney they didn't fire everyone and rehire new people. Dozens of people stuck around and several dozen people from Lucasfilm/ILM that worked on the prequels also worked on the sequels. Doug Chiang was lead concept artist for the prequels as well as the sequels (and Galaxy's Edge, Mandalorian, etc.). Matthew Wood, Ben Burtt, Dennis Muren, Ian McCaig, Dave Filoni, even John Williams and many more stuck around after the leadership change. In fact, except for leadership change and different story writers, the "team" is mostly still around. A team that all worked under Lucas.

Go to IMDb's advanced search and look for names of people that both worked on Episode 1 and Episode 9. Over 50 names show up from art, sound, make-up, effects, you name it.
Not only that but Abrams went and talked to Lucas directly for guidance on Ep9, and if not mistaken maybe Ep7 too. So really Lucas has already consulted on the sequels.

This is smelling more and more like some fanbois wish rather than a real rumor. Also I remember a time when a lot of the same fanbois derided Lucas for the prequels, saying he destroyed his own creation, etc., etc.

Screamface

Not only that but Abrams went and talked to Lucas directly for guidance on Ep9, and if not mistaken maybe Ep7 too. So really Lucas has already consulted on the sequels.

This is smelling more and more like some fanbois wish rather than a real rumor. Also I remember a time when a lot of the same fanbois derided Lucas for the prequels, saying he destroyed his own creation, etc., etc.

From Iger's biography, it seems that Lucas was pretty ed off about The Force Awakens. He felt betrayed they had ignored his treatments, while not contractually obligated, Lucas believed they would be adapted.

Lucas then didn't like film. So I really don't know how much Lucas consulted on a film he apparently had nothing to do with.

As for Episode 9, I've heard nothing but rumours that JJ went to Lucas. In any case, Lucas would have been against Palpatine returning and against Rey taking up the name Skywalker.

EDIT: some typos.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
From Iger's biography, it seems that Lucas was pretty ****ed off about The Force Awakens. He felt betrayed that had ignored his treatments, which not contractually obligated, Lucas believed they would be adapted.

Lucas then didn't like film. So I really don't know how much Lucas consulted on a film he apparently had nothing to do with.

As for Episode 9, I've heard nothing but rumours that JJ went to Abrams. In any case, Lucas would have been against Palpatine returning and against Rey taking up the name Skywalker.

Stevek

Just let Filoni take over the SW franchise. It will be in great hands.

Stevek

The drinks are way too expensive to get plastered. They are also watered down in where there is barely one shot of liquor in a tall 12 or 16 oz glass. You're paying up to $16 for one cocktail. It's easier to get drunk on wine. You can drink 2 and not fill up. 12 oz of beer is hard to get drunk on. These drinks give the parks some extra flavor. It's not much, but enough. Unfortunately, I'm not impressed by the cantina bar drinks. They don't seem organically Star Wars. They're as phony as heck like Oga's Cantina. Just made up Sequel Trilogy junk.
Trader Sam's drinks are a bit over priced but they do pour strong. I've had multiple friends comment on their strength and seen the drinks catch up to them quickly. Can't speak to Oga's.

truecoat

From Iger's biography, it seems that Lucas was pretty ****ed off about The Force Awakens. He felt betrayed that had ignored his treatments, which not contractually obligated, Lucas believed they would be adapted.

As for Episode 9, I've heard nothing but rumours that JJ went to Abrams. In any case, Lucas would have been against Palpatine returning and against Rey taking up the name Skywalker.

Why would Lucas like TFA? It was a copy of ANH.

smooch

Why would Lucas like TFA? It was a copy of ANH.

I think it's really sad that my favorite episode of the ST was the first one and that's only because it was a copy of ANH with improved visuals and worse characters. They had some great ideas set up they could have went with but they threw it all away. I think Finn being an escaped Stormtrooper turned Jedi would've been a cool concept that was only barely teased in the first movie but was brought back up in TROS. The Palpatine plot was just done lazily and poorly, I really don't like that they just fell back on Palpatine being the driving force of everything because it means the end of the OT was largely meaningless since he was able to cheat death and build 100s of ships as powerful as the Death Star. That said, if it was an idea present across the whole trilogy as a possibility then I wouldn't have had much of a problem with it, I hate that it just happens in the opening crawl of TROS and was never even hinted at before that. I still can't believe how little genuine interest and excitement was left for the movies after what Disney did. How do you take Star Wars, probably the biggest movie franchise of all time, and destroy people's excitement for new movies. TFA had huge buzz and was praised generally as being a safe bet to start the reboot with borrowing from ANH, then the whole TLJ director change / direction change happened and most audience members hated it (I believe critic scores were high but fan scores were low, opposite of TFA) and after that we saw Solo get awful numbers and lose a lot of money because of how so many people disliked TLJ. The only reason TROS grossed so much money was because it was the final episode in not only that trilogy, but the whole saga. They could have released the worst Star Wars movie imaginable (which some people claim they did) and it would still have a massive amount of people going to see it because they have to know how the movie ended. I genuinely believe if they were doing more movies in that storyline and weren't ending on TROS it would have performed as poorly as Solo.

I would love for Lucas to come back to Lucasfilms and actually have input that they valued (how do you get feedback from the man who started the company you're working at and created some of the most popular movies of all time?) but I can completely understand why he wouldn't want to. He was done with it, he sold it to make money and not have to worry about the rabid SW fanbase. Anything that happens isn't his own doing, he can just tell the haters he had nothing to do with it. I just hope Filoni and Favreau are going to take the reins and have more control over SW in the future, I think we should be in pretty good hands but I'm sure there needs to be a change up in management, I'm sure some ideas had been forced into / cut from the movies because they wanted to sell a toy or push a message (not complaining, I know the OT was a commentary on politics, but when they add in that on-screen gay kiss and praise themselves so highly for it and it's barely on screen and was even cut for China then you don't get to parade it around like you're contributing so much to gay rights. I would have preferred they didn't even say anything about it, just had it happen and make it nothing special) and that affects the quality of stories being told.

Sharon&Susan

1596507717742.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom