Why Disneyland’s $1 billion Star Wars land isn’t a bust despite flat attendance - OCR/SCNG

Figments Friend

It's been a long road, Getting from there to here...

Okay, that was....um.....not quite what I was expecting.
Started off nice...but then became a erratic, sped up version of a family-friendly version of 'Family Guy' in space....?

And it's Romulan ALE...not 'wine'.
Dang it, that cadet must be new.
Didn't she watch the Original Series during training...?
Kirk was a legend that was talked about often at the Academy.
She must have skipped class that day.

Always thought Disney should serve Romulan Ale at Oga's Cantina.
Now THAT sure would liven up the ol' 'Galaxy's Edge'!

;)

-

Last edited:

mickEblu

Not sure this mostly speculative news deserves its own thread, so might as well put it here...

Apparently there's a new Star Wars video game or something set on Batuu that has a few new restaurants and bars in Black Spire Outpost, the most notable being a second "cantina" placed right next door to Oga's.

"The new Batuu bar in Galaxy’s Edge is called Seezelslak’s Cantina, run by a six-eyed Star Wars alien with a tendency for over-imbibing and a love-hate relationship with porgs.

Concept art for the “Tales from the Galaxy’s Edge” VR experience shows Seezelslak’s Cantina located next door to Oga’s Cantina. An open window in Seezelslak’s Cantina shows the distinctive Tuggs Grub food truck-like starship docked atop the Docking Bay 7 restaurant with Dok-Ondar’s Den of Antiquities gift shop in the foreground, according to the concept art."

Again, all purely speculative at this point, and if it were to happen it wouldn't open for at least a couple years from now.

Most notable thing in the backstory is that the owner is a drunk. I wonder if HR knows? 🤣

So no dinner show then?

Does Seezilslack also not come out because he doesn’t like to “see the customers” (aka they didn’t want to pay for an AA)?

smooch

Not sure this mostly speculative news deserves its own thread, so might as well put it here...

Apparently there's a new Star Wars video game or something set on Batuu that has a few new restaurants and bars in Black Spire Outpost, the most notable being a second "cantina" placed right next door to Oga's.

"The new Batuu bar in Galaxy’s Edge is called Seezelslak’s Cantina, run by a six-eyed Star Wars alien with a tendency for over-imbibing and a love-hate relationship with porgs.

Concept art for the “Tales from the Galaxy’s Edge” VR experience shows Seezelslak’s Cantina located next door to Oga’s Cantina. An open window in Seezelslak’s Cantina shows the distinctive Tuggs Grub food truck-like starship docked atop the Docking Bay 7 restaurant with Dok-Ondar’s Den of Antiquities gift shop in the foreground, according to the concept art."

Again, all purely speculative at this point, and if it were to happen it wouldn't open for at least a couple years from now.

Most notable thing in the backstory is that the owner is a drunk. I wonder if HR knows? 🤣

Why would they double down and add another made up location? I really hope this is just something added to the game to fill all the dead space in the physical land and Disney actually gets rid of the timeline nonsense and puts in something actually from Star Wars. How is it this hard to understand people want to visit actual locations from the movies? Heck even Universal got that right with Wizarding World.

J4546

god i hope this isnt true lol. I already hate the cantina thats alread there....stand in line for 20 minutes so i can stand in another building for 30, jam packed with people so its uncomfortable, with nothing to do except listen to terrible loud music and buy expensive drinks.... and now they are gonna build another one? F that. Theres so much more and better things you could do to GE

smooch

I wish they would actually just build the dinner theater show thing they promised earlier. Or if they are so set on another cantina just do the Mos Eisley Cantina. But if they do make another cantina lets hope for everyone's sake that they learned not to make massive booths where you have to combine parties and to not add so many cramped standing tables where you're not even able to sit down and relax. I know Disney doesn't wanna spend a lot of money but if they made an AA show of the band that plays in the cantina that would be incredible, but instead they repurposed a single animatronic from an old version of Star Tours and put him up there as both an easter egg and a massive money saver. I'm not too well versed in the geography of the land / surrounding areas of the parks so where would this second cantina actually fit next to the first one? Why would they even put another one next to the already existing one? Wouldn't you want to spread them out? I don't know, I am really hoping like I said earlier that this cantina in the game is just to fill the space that is no longer filled by tourists in the parks and these changes don't find their way to the park but we never know. Maybe Disney is sticking to the timeline thing longer than we are hoping and this is gonna be another way to say "You can live your Star Wars adventure! Once you very small handful of people who play Star Wars VR games (I'll admit I fit that box) make your way to the parks you'll realize it's all in the same timeline! You can live your adventure in the parks or at home, isn't that neat?!"

BubbaisSleep

god i hope this isnt true lol. I already hate the cantina thats alread there....stand in line for 20 minutes so i can stand in another building for 30, jam packed with people so its uncomfortable, with nothing to do except listen to terrible loud music and buy expensive drinks.... and now they are gonna build another one? F that. Theres so much more and better things you could do to GE
So you basically described a bar & its intended purpose.

mickEblu

Oh cmon guys you re missing the point. It’s supposed to fun. But I guess so are theme parks in general and I’m not sure standing in endless lines and being crammed elbow to elbow with people on Main Street is fun.

mickEblu

That's the whole reason I stopped going. There comes a point when it isn't fun anymore.

Yeah it got to the point for me where only about 1 in every 4 trips for me was truly fun. And that’s with the knowledge/ ability I have to cherry pick “good” days. It’s not all due to the crowds though. My sons mood/ behavior are also a big factor. Traffic is also not Disneyland’s fault.

BubbaisSleep

Oh cmon guys you re missing the point. It’s supposed to fun. But I guess so are theme parks in general and I’m not sure standing in endless lines and being crammed elbow to elbow with people on Main Street is fun.
I think we got the point. His reasons are what a bar does to be a bar though. 😅
Maybe his interests are geared more towards lounges, which I enjoy more for his exact reasons.

That's the whole reason I stopped going. There comes a point when it isn't fun anymore.
This is what made my family stop visiting the parks on Holidays. It was something my dad started when we were young. Then time would go by and we realized we aren't having fun during those hectic holidays.

socalifornian

I wish they would actually just build the dinner theater show thing they promised earlier. Or if they are so set on another cantina just do the Mos Eisley Cantina. But if they do make another cantina lets hope for everyone's sake that they learned not to make massive booths where you have to combine parties and to not add so many cramped standing tables where you're not even able to sit down and relax. I know Disney doesn't wanna spend a lot of money but if they made an AA show of the band that plays in the cantina that would be incredible, but instead they repurposed a single animatronic from an old version of Star Tours and put him up there as both an easter egg and a massive money saver. I'm not too well versed in the geography of the land / surrounding areas of the parks so where would this second cantina actually fit next to the first one? Why would they even put another one next to the already existing one? Wouldn't you want to spread them out? I don't know, I am really hoping like I said earlier that this cantina in the game is just to fill the space that is no longer filled by tourists in the parks and these changes don't find their way to the park but we never know. Maybe Disney is sticking to the timeline thing longer than we are hoping and this is gonna be another way to say "You can live your Star Wars adventure! Once you very small handful of people who play Star Wars VR games (I'll admit I fit that box) make your way to the parks you'll realize it's all in the same timeline! You can live your adventure in the parks or at home, isn't that neat?!"
They’ll have a lot of extra animatronics if they actually pull through with Tiana. Save the chickens!

mickEblu

I think we got the point. His reasons are what a bar does to be a bar though. 😅
Maybe his interests are geared more towards lounges, which I enjoy more for his exact reasons.

This is what made my family stop visiting the parks on Holidays. It was something my dad started when we were young. Then time would go by and we realized we aren't having fun during those hectic holidays.

Haha I understand yet don’t you think Disney could and should have done more to make the cantina a comfortable and fun experience?

BubbaisSleep

Haha I understand yet don’t you think Disney could and should have done more to make the cantina a comfortable and fun experience?
I believe if the intention was to be solely a bar, Disney exceeded my expectation. It's quite an amazing bar with plenty to look at and does take me away to another world. If it was restaurant or lounge, I would be underwhelmed.

The problem was opening the bar and just the bar. A 30-minute animatronic show and a comfortable, lounge-like setting wouldn't work in a bar like Catina as no one would ever leave. The bar was clearly meant to accompany something else that can host those who aren't into the bar-setting. Which is why many aren't having fun. It's the only place to go to; therefore, fans are projecting their desires into the bar. Which boggles my mind if they actually build another replica of Catina as Catina being a bar isn't the problem. The land only having a bar is the problem.

Last edited:

October82

I'm not too well versed in the geography of the land / surrounding areas of the parks so where would this second cantina actually fit next to the first one? Why would they even put another one next to the already existing one? Wouldn't you want to spread them out?

There is an expansion pad adjacent to/behind Oga's. Probably intended for the restaurant that obviously should have been there, but this also runs up against an expansion pad that has been rumored for a Frozen expansion to Fantasyland.

smooch

There is an expansion pad adjacent to/behind Oga's. Probably intended for the restaurant that obviously should have been there, but this also runs up against an expansion pad that has been rumored for a Frozen expansion to Fantasyland.

Hmm interesting. I feel like personally I would prefer the dinner show restaurant added to GE since there isn't a ton and I wouldn't prefer if they added a Frozen expansion to Fantasyland, I don't want IP specific areas added to existing lands in Disneyland. Aside from Tomorrowland being the second Star Wars Land all other lands are general themes and not specific IPs: Indy isn't an entire Indy section, it fits in the Adventureland jungle theme, that kind of idea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom