Why didn't they make POTC more like Disneyland's?

tl77

Some of this first aired in 1965 as part of a show about Disneyland's tenth anniversary, that show highlighted upcoming attractions like PotC and the Haunted Mansion, but when the ride opened in '68 they re-edited and re-ran the that same footage with '65 Walt mixed with new footage of the ride in the new show called "Disneyland: From Pirates of the Caribbean to the World of Tomorrow"

ImagineerDude

Not quite. It was limited time, not space.

The drop is to get from entrance level to show level which was built lower. The railroad here is actually on an embankment. DL has a railroad / basement drop and they felt they should replicate a drop in Orlando.
that's not what our tour guide said but I'm not saying I don't believe you! The railroad embankment makes sense since you have to go up stairs for the MS USA and Frontierland but not really for FL because the different floors etc. I guess the could have made the showbuilding bigger, but with Splash Mountain and the parade storage units around it, it just looks cramped back there...

Goofyernmost

As we all recall, MK was built one layer up from ground level to accommodate the Utilidors. The entrance to PoTC are on the second floor and the show building is on the ground level, hence the need for the drop. You are correct though, the parade floats are stored down behind Splash and PoTC is in the building just to the left.

air view of wdw.jpg

The left hand of the picture shows the tan building (PoTC) (upside down "L"). The white buildings are the parade storage barns. The two pinkish ones are Splash Mtn. (next to Pirates) and just above that is BTMR. This is an old picture because the subs are still visible.

thomas998

I think I'm one of the few to prefer the WDW version of Pirates. I don't like the bayou scenes and the WDW version has more of a nostalgia factor for me.

I think it is more a matter of which one you grew up with. I had more WDW growing up than DL, and while I enjoy the DL version to me it is a bit too long and I prefer the WDW version... unless it is really hot and then I prefer the DL version simply because it is longer.

Polydweller

Im no genius, but my guess is they recorded it first, then aired it after his death. It aired January 21, 1968.
Well, both of you are somewhat right. The 1968 show includes a clip of Walt describing the plans for the Pirates of the Carribean ride at Disneyland that would open March 1967. The clip was shot for and shown in the 1965 Disneyland 10th Anniversary Show.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Next to the theming, the length of the attraction in DL vs MK is probably the next biggest difference.

There is an additional scene in the DL version after the burning town (the arsenal room I think it's referred to). The bayou opening scene, the extended grotto section with its slight changes in scenes, an additional drop out of the grotto section, the last section after the lift hill and before unload that goes by the queue, the exterior difference between NOS and the Fort.. and that the indoor queue in DL is very short with most of the line outside. WDW's queue is mostly inside the fort with it's theming and gags. DL still has the talking skull before the drop while MK does not :( :(

Then there is the new mermaid sequence in MK, and the mist screen I think sometimes shows Blackbeard vs Davey Jones.. but I forget which location does which mist screen anymore.

Californian Elitist

There is an additional scene in the DL version after the burning town (the arsenal room I think it's referred to). The bayou opening scene, the extended grotto section with its slight changes in scenes, an additional drop out of the grotto section, the last section after the lift hill and before unload that goes by the queue, the exterior difference between NOS and the Fort.. and that the indoor queue in DL is very short with most of the line outside. WDW's queue is mostly inside the fort with it's theming and gags. DL still has the talking skull before the drop while MK does not :( :(

Then there is the new mermaid sequence in MK, and the mist screen I think sometimes shows Blackbeard vs Davey Jones.. but I forget which location does which mist screen anymore.

I didn't know there are gags in MK's version.

So the talking skull used to be in Florida? Or was it never put in. The mist screens in CA haven't been alternating.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I didn't know there are gags in MK's version.

Gags just in how the sets are setup, etc like the well known skeletons playing chess.. that are actually in a statlemate. The Fort is very cool tho.. and IMO does not get any respect from the westcoasters.

So the talking skull used to be in Florida? Or was it never put in. The mist screens in CA haven't been alternating.

The skull used to be before the drop as it was in DL.. but was removed when the mist screen basically plays the same role :(

Californian Elitist

Gags just in how the sets are setup, etc like the well known skeletons playing chess.. that are actually in a statlemate. The Fort is very cool tho.. and IMO does not get any respect from the westcoasters.

The skull used to be before the drop as it was in DL.. but was removed when the mist screen basically plays the same role :(

The entire Florida version doesn't get any respect from the West, let alone the queue (don't include me in there).

The mist screens and the skull are two different things. It shouldn't have been removed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom