Why didn't they make POTC more like Disneyland's?

kap91

I think it is more a matter of which one you grew up with. I had more WDW growing up than DL, and while I enjoy the DL version to me it is a bit too long and I prefer the WDW version... unless it is really hot and then I prefer the DL version simply because it is longer.
Nope grew up with WDW quite literally and definitely prefer the California Version. It is so much longer, immersive, the sets are bigger and more detailed, such a better ride. Granted WdW's queue is sort of better (though I love the bayou atmosphere) but that's about our only positive. Unless you happen to be a fan or short rides for some reason.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
As you can see, in 1973 there was plenty of room to build a longer ride:

image.jpg

Uncle Remus

PotC was an afterthought at WDW. They didn't build it for opening day, because they didn't think guests from the east half of the country would care about pirates.

I didn't know that. That's very interesting. I wonder what they based that off of? Especially since the East Coast has such a rich pirate history.

kap91

I didn't know that. That's very interesting. I wonder what they based that off of? Especially since the East Coast has such a rich pirate history.

That's the exact reason why. They figured Pirates weren't novel on the east coast because people would have already been familiar with it. They thought the west would be a much more novel and interesting environment for east coasters

tl77

This is how WDW's PotC ride compares to the Thunder Mesa/Western River Ride that was still planned in '73-'74 when PotC was built/opened

mkblueprint.jpg

Minnie1976

On my last trip in March of 2014 I found POTC at WDW was so dark before the drop that you couldn't hardly see the skeleton at the wheel on the right.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom